5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel suspension on a 1500 bighorn?

Justtom

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just want some opinions here. There's a guy locally selling Ram Rebel stock suspension for $240.00 with everything except it's missing a front bilstein. So what I want to run by you is would it be worth it to put in my 2020 ram bighorn 4x4, I don't have air suspension or ORP or anything. It's just a plain bighorn.

I've been wanting to level it but I ran across this and it seems like it would be a good cost effective move. Anybody done this before or what do you guys think?

Otherwise there's a shop in town that will do bilstein 5100's all around and take care of the alignment for me and labor for $1300.00. Alright, feel like I'm rambling here, let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

Admins if this has been posted before, delete it and point me in the right direction please, thanks again!

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is totally doable. How many miles on them? Of course the 5100's are even better and if the 4600'd have a lot of miles on them, it's time to swap them out any way. But the short answer is they will work fine.

Justtom

Reaction score
It is totally doable. How many miles on them? Of course the 5100's are even better and if the 4600'd have a lot of miles on them, it's time to swap them out any way. But the short answer is they will work fine.
I'm going to have to reach out to him and ask how many miles are on them/what year rebel they came off. The parts don't look like they are rusted or bad. Would you happen to know what kind of lift it will give me? I'm assuming maybe like 1" at the most.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm going to have to reach out to him and ask how many miles are on them/what year rebel they came off. The parts don't look like they are rusted or bad. Would you happen to know what kind of lift it will give me? I'm assuming maybe like 1" at the most.
Yes. It's one inch.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd offer him $160 and stop at $200. Yes the 1" lift. Remember you'll need to purchase the oem Bilstein, not sure what that goes for.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
A Rebel sits 1 inch higher than other trim levels without the ORG. As far as I know the only differences are the springs and shocks. What all are they selling?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not worth it at all if you want a "Level" look. The Rebel's suspension is touted as 1" higher, but it's based partially on a slightly longer/stiffer string and the 33" tires.

That's why so many Rebel owners get levels to begin with, it takes a ruler to notice the difference between a Rebel and non-off road trucks. The money is better spent on an actual level kit.

Justtom

Reaction score
A Rebel sits 1 inch higher than other trim levels without the ORG. As far as I know the only differences are the springs and shocks. What all are they selling?
2 rear shocks, 1 front, UCA's, spindles and some random other parts, doesn't look complete to me.

Justtom

Reaction score
Not worth it at all if you want a "Level" look. The Rebel's suspension is touted as 1" higher, but it's based partially on a slightly longer/stiffer string and the 33" tires.

That's why so many Rebel owners get levels to begin with, it takes a ruler to notice the difference between a Rebel and non-off road trucks. The money is better spent on an actual level kit.
Ok, yeah this is what I was looking for. If I were to buy it, get it installed and it still has the rake and there's not noticeable difference then its not worth it. I've never seen a regular 1500 next to a rebel before but I was really curious if there was a noticeable height difference between the two.

That's why I hit you guys up because there's always someone that knows something more than I do. Thanks

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, yeah this is what I was looking for. If I were to buy it, get it installed and it still has the rake and there's not noticeable difference then its not worth it. I've never seen a regular 1500 next to a rebel before but I was really curious if there was a noticeable height difference between the two.

That's why I hit you guys up because there's always someone that knows something more than I do. Thanks
There is rake in a stock Rebel.

Justtom

Reaction score
Thank you everybody, feel free to chime in if you have anything else to add but I think for the trouble I'll go through to get it installed and then get an alignment, it's just not worth it for a 1" difference.

I think I'll just get a strut level kit and call it good. I don't do any major off roading besides a dirt road with mud every once in a while but I don't want to cheap out and get hockey pucks.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I understand that but I was hoping there would be more of a lift. I can deal with rake if the front end was up a little higher.

I personally feel that 1" isn't completely from the suspension either, they are also including the height gained from the tires itself. Anytime I've measured them, from bottom of fender to middle of wheel, the difference is barely 1/2" or so between a Rebel and a regular RAM.

You will spend all that money for parts and install to notice probably next to zero difference. Definitely get a level kit.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I understand that but I was hoping there would be more of a lift. I can deal with rake if the front end was up a little higher.
Then you'll want the Bilsteins. They're about $400 for all four plus +- $500 for good UCA's plus install. You'll be good for quite some time.

Justtom

Reaction score
I personally feel that 1" isn't completely from the suspension either, they are also including the height gained from the tires itself. Anytime I've measured them, from bottom of fender to middle of wheel, the difference is barely 1/2" or so between a Rebel and a regular RAM.

You will spend all that money for parts and install to notice probably next to zero difference. Definitely get a level kit.
Ah, makes sense. Yeah plus based off the pictures he's posted, I'm not sure what else will be missing, I've asked the guy questions but it refers to them as "customer take offs" but doesn't have much knowledge. 1/2" is definitely not worth it.

Justtom

Reaction score
Then you'll want the Bilsteins. They're about $400 for all four plus +- $500 for good UCA's plus install. You'll be good for quite some time.
I appreciate it, I just want to do it right and not cheap out.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
2 rear shocks, 1 front, UCA's, spindles and some random other parts, doesn't look complete to me.
Sounds like you're not gonna get this, which is good. You'd be wasting your money unless the parts were nearly free. The UCA's are the same as those on your Big Horn. 1 front shock is useless. The rear shocks alone probably aren't worth the asking price since he's including the other parts. I have no idea what the other random parts are so I can't really comment on those.

Users who are viewing this thread