5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel Steering wheel lock

19reb

Anyone elses Rebel not have steering wheel lock on it? Just noticed today mine does not. Never owned a vehicle without a steering wheel lock. It's kinda weird.

Also noticed today the traction control doesn't work either. It's been raining for 2 days now and can't get traction. No light on the dash when tires spin and every time I take off, no matter how hard or soft, the tires spin until it picks up speed.

Last edited by a moderator:

19reb

My list of negatives so far:

Terrible fuel mileage(11mpg average)
Door hitting fender when opened
POP in front end
Traction control doesn't work
No steering lock
Brake pedal has a gap between hitting the pedal with my foot and it actually applying the brake
Engine sounds like a diesel engine while accelerating
Truck slows to a stop while going DOWN HILL
Leather on back seat looks like a blind man installed it
Chrysler doesn't want to fix any of it and all they have to say is "Break it in more"
I'm sure there's more still, to be found!

My list of positives:

Incredible power due to combination of 8HP75 transmission and 3.92 rear gear and NOT the marbling 5.7L Hemi
Beautiful dash
Awesome electronics
Best Body style truck on the road
Excellent Braking power
Having a hard time thinking of anything else right now

The negatives are quickly out weighing the positives.

TimG

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, did you have your Rebel built to your specs, or did you take one off the lot? Not that it makes any difference because you shouldn't have any of those issues on a brand new truck. I'm wondering if maybe yours was used and abused as a dealer slampiece prior to you taking possession and that's why everything is malfunctioning now.

19reb

This was a truck on a lot in Jacksonville, Florida.. It had 700 miles on it when I got it because my dealer sent someone to Jacksonville to drive it back to Hendersonville, TN.

My thoughts are the guy who drove it back beat the **** out of it. Effectively making it a lemon.

Still confused about the steering wheel lock. Can't find anywhere online of anyone else not having one. Does your steering wheel lock?

19reb

Lotta things there need to be addressed ASAP... have you PM'ed @RamCares ?

This is my email to the rep I'm in contact with at the moment. They need to receive more emails like this..

"Linda,

Hello. I hope your day has treated you well. I wanted to reach out to you to voice some concerns.

When I bought this truck, the dealer purchased it from another dealer in Jacksonville, FL. They sent someone down there from Hendersonville, TN to drive it back to complete the purchase. When I got the truck it had 700 miles on the odometer(A brand NEW truck). I've had nothing but problems out of this truck and all I keep being told is "break it in more". 90% of these issues are not break in issues. I'm an ASE certified mechanic, by the way. So no where near clueless as to whats going on with this truck. I've purchased, not leased, over $300,000 worth of Chrysler products since 2007 and have not owned anything other than a 1994 Ford Ranger since. I have been a VERY loyal customer to Chrysler. I traded a mint 2017 Hellcat Challenger for this truck to give you an idea.

I love this truck for sure. But these problems are out of control. I'm having a whole host of problems with this truck. I've owned several RAM 1500's as you can probably see in your system and I have never had these types of problems with them. Until now...

My negatives:

Terrible fuel mileage - 11mpg average when calculated by hand - Says 13* on the dash.
Passenger door hitting passenger fender when opened - In the works to be fixed.
A POP in the front end when backing out of driveway - haven't even had this truck off road yet. Can't imagine how well it will hold up if I do go off road with it.
Found out this morning my traction control doesn't work. It has rained here for 2 days and I can't get traction. No light on dash while tires are spinning and every time I take off, no matter how hard or how soft, the tires spin until it picks up speed.
No steering wheel lock - Also discovered this morning.
The brake pedal has a gap between hitting the pedal with my foot and the pedal actually applying the brake - intermittent
Engine sounds like a diesel engine while accelerating - every time I take off whether the engine is cold or warm
Truck slows to a stop while going DOWN HILL
Leather on the back seat looks like a blind man installed it.

My positives:

Incredible power due to a combination of 8HP75 transmission and 3.92 rear gear and NOT the marbling 5.7L Hemi that sounds like a diesel engine
Beautiful dash - love it
Awesome electronics - zero issues
Best body style truck on the road
Excellent braking power

I'm having a real hard time thinking of any other positives at this point. As you can see, the negatives are considerably out weighing the positives. I cannot continue to accept these types of problems out of a brand new truck I paid $60K for and traded a mint 2017 Hellcat Challenger for. I've taken this truck to Sisk Automall in Hopkinsville, KY twice now and complained about the fuel mileage, marbling engine and POP in the front end. All I get is "break it in more". The truck has 2900 miles on it. After the next visit to Sisk, I'm going to contact an attorney and proceed with Lemon Laws here in TN. I will also never buy another Chrysler product again. I will suffer with a P.O.S. Ford or GM product until something better comes along.

I apologize ahead of time if this email seems overly aggressive. I'm sure you can understand my frustrations or at least I hope you can.

List of Chrysler vehicles I've purchased, NOT leased, since 2007:

2005 Dodge Ram 1500
2012 RAM 1500
2014 Dodge Challenger R/T
2014 Chrysler Town & Country
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
2015 Dodge Durango R/T
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat - 16mpg in the city! Hand calculated! Very confusing!
2018 Chrysler 200
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel - The last Chrysler product I will ever own if this isn't fixed in a very timely manner..

Thanks so much for your time"

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
An honest, polite email that shows your concerns, but might be peeing in the wind if you ask me... reasons being,

#1 - I've learned over the years nobody in sales or customer service cares if you're on your first vehicle or your 50th vehicle with them... it's almost worse if you're loyal, they know you love the product and regardless of how this one pans out, you'll be back.

#2 - Long stories don't motivate action. That old cliche, talk is cheap. That long email could've been made just as effective with... "I'm a professional mechanic and have sufficient suspicion that my truck was abused prior to delivery. I will be seeking legal advice as to how to proceed. I am advising you of this, should you have a different solution available."

#4 - Never apologize for being frustrated, just reinforces the "loyal customer" "I will still buy your vehicles regardless " ... firm, but polite, they should be apologizing.

#5 - The list. I dunno if "Linda" could tell you the difference between a Challenger and a Rebel. All she knows is "blah blah blah, I love your vehicles." Maybe a simple statement like your comment that your Rebel will be your last FCA purchase if action is not taken would be better than your historical key chain.

I've been down your path... it's an uphill battle. FCA doesn't want to deal with you. They want you to continue to send luke-warm long emails to "Linda" or whomever, because that means you're still in your Rebel.

Talk to an attorney, that will speed things up. Just wanted to offer some advice from one unhappy Ram (2016 lemon) owner to another.

19reb

I truly appreciate your advice. It took me a couple hours to write that email and I think my boiling blood kept me from being more professional or writing a more neutral response. It hurts, brother. It truly does.

Lets see what happens from here. Then I'll send a much more professional and neutral response to Linda with my attorneys name and number. They can see my key chain and they'll see when I lemon law this Rebel and walk away. I'll send them pics of the new 2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 in my driveway! :LOL:

sims1dh

Reaction score
Most trucks don’t have locking steering wheels anymore across all brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sims1dh

Reaction score
Didn't know. Which is the reason I asked other Rebel owners.

I had an Escalade that was stolen some years back. They got behind it with another car and just pushed it away because the wheel doesn’t lock. Found the truck three blocks away.

19reb

I had an Escalade that was stolen some years back. They got behind it with another car and just pushed it away because the wheel doesn’t lock. Found the truck three blocks away.

The last RAM I owned was a 2012 and it locked.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The last RAM I owned was a 2012 and it locked.
Keeping this thread on track, I think sometimes the psychological aspect of switching brands is part of the healing from being let down by your preferred choice. As you mentioned, it's painful and the stress is unhealthy and unnecessary. I've been there.

It FCA decides to let you down, the obvious response is to lemon law your Rebel and move on to the latest and greatest Ford/Chevy has to offer. As we also know, that's Russian Roulette to a degree, since every manufacturer has issues.

I chose to stick with a Ram. I accepted that the issues with the truck were devastating and FCA was incredibly infuriating... but I love Ram trucks and didn't want to suffer changing brands because of one poorly built truck.

Now, of course, I wouldn't dare to advise you on what to do after your issues are resolved... but looking at your historical key chain it looks like you have a slight tendency to buy FCA vehicles and I don't blame you, we're all here for that very reason. My point being, after the dust settles, maybe cooler heads prevail and there is another Rebel out there that won't let you down.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The truck probably should have been transported to your location, not driven. Is there a limit as to how many miles can be put on a vehicle and still be sold as "new" in your state?

19reb

@19Jake

It's pretty sad a 49 year old has nothing more to do than sit around and troll other people online.

You bring a totally new meaning to the phrase "You can take the ho out of section 8, but you can't take the section 8 out of the ho"...

P.M. me and I'll give you my address so we can see just how bad *** you really are! Keyboard warrior...

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dude. It's the Internet. It brings out the best in everyone, right?

Go and rightfully call out Apple for something they did wrong on a Mac forum...and see what happens. Describe the interior of the new GM trucks as being non-competitive on a GM forum...and see what happens. This stuff is predictable.

The impact of any statement on these forums only carries weight if the readers make a value association based on the content and tone of that poster's total contributions to the conversations. You can either make convincing arguments in an attempt to get others to understand your perspective, or just walk away.

Name calling and throwing taunting GIFs into each other's threads is not how I would try to resolve this.

Users who are viewing this thread