5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel Owners: Fuel Economy After Swapping Tires?

Jcall724

Reaction score
I changed out my tires and wheels instead of factory. I got a set of cooper at3 xlt 295/60r20 and I took a huge hit with mileage before I would stay between 13.5-14.5 mpg now I’m at 12.5 city but I haven’t had much highway traveling lately. Not sure if that helps anyone out knowing some of that info.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I changed out my tires and wheels instead of factory. I got a set of cooper at3 xlt 295/60r20 and I took a huge hit with mileage before I would stay between 13.5-14.5 mpg now I’m at 12.5 city but I haven’t had much highway traveling lately. Not sure if that helps anyone out knowing some of that info.

Thanks for sharing this info. It could be partially from the new wheels, I wonder what the weight difference is there.

That’s a pretty mild tire, I personally wouldnt expect it to do worse than the duratrac in terms of rolling resistance.

They do weigh 61lbs so that’s definitely more than the duratracs. So there probably will be some lost mpg in the city due to that.

Google says the stock duratrac is 54, but I thought I saw 55 or 58. I don’t think 7lbs on each corner alone would cause it to drop a full mile per gallon but I could be wrong.

And did you correct the speedo? I’m assuming this mpg is from the dash? It will be a little off with the taller tire now.

How do you like the at3? I was considering them.

Last edited:

CouchAssault

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this info. It could be partially from the new wheels, I wonder what the weight difference is there.

That’s a pretty mild tire, I personally wouldnt expect it to do worse than the duratrac in terms of rolling resistance.

They do weigh 61lbs so that’s definitely more than the duratracs. So there probably will be some lost mpg in the city due to that.

Google says the stock duratrac is 54, but I thought I saw 55 or 58. I don’t think 7lbs on each corner alone would cause it to drop a full mile per gallon but I could be wrong.

And did you correct the speedo? I’m assuming this mpg is from the dash? It will be a little off with the taller tire now.

20" wheels will weigh more as well. Probably another 5-10 lbs per wheel.

Jcall724

Reaction score

Yes that mpg is what the dash says. Could be because the wheels being 20x10 would weigh more than the stock 18. I do notice the wheels feel heavier truck all around feels much heavier driving. I also live in WV so all the hills and constant start stop in city. But to be honest I really like the at3 better they look great give that aggressive look as well I personally think they ride smoother also the grip I notice is better than the duratrac especially wet roads. So far done amazing in snow and on ice.

Tommy R

Reaction score
Well, new wheels and tires are on the way. Cooper AT3 XLT in a 295/70-18 with new Fuel Shok wheels (18x9). It’s a shame that all the things I want to do to my truck to have it suit my needs will make the mileage even worse! Leveled, slightly taller tire, roof top tent on the back... But I bought this thing (in part) for off-roading and overlanding. I’m just hoping the changes don’t negatively impact the economy that much worse, but it probably will!

DivrGuy

Reaction score
All-terrain tread, LT rating, tall sidewalls, all add up to lower mileage. Can be over 2 mpg compared to street tires. I would check weights. If you don't do hard off-roading or heavy hauling, a P-rated all-terrain tire will save 10 lbs per corner easily. According to the article below, lower profile tires have less rolling resistance. So maybe go with a P-rated 20" tire (45 lbs or so) with a wheel that isn't too wide and heavy (no more than 30 lbs or so) and you could get a significant improvement in mileage and still be good for mild off-roading. Going with a wider wheel and tire adds weight and rolling resistance.

A really good article on this subject.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wheels-tires/129-1104-tires-and-fuel-economy/

Last edited:

Tommy R

Reaction score
All of that is very true. I'm in a fairly unique situation with my truck. I don't need crazy traction so an aggressive tire isn't something that'll benefit me. However, I do need ground clearance to get over rocks, ledges, and such. So I will be installing a slightly taller (+1") tire that's way less aggressive. I toyed with the idea of dropping down to a lower load rating tire for the weight savings. However, I will be towing my Jeep and while the tires I was considering had the load carrying capacity, I wasn't sure how stable they would be when towing. So I opted to keep a similar load rating even though it'll cost me a bit in MPG.

Tommy R

Reaction score
I sure did. So far I've only logged half a tank's worth of driving and it's about the same as before.....maybe a tick better. The tires are 1" taller: 295/70-18 Cooper AT3 XLTs and they have a much milder tread design than the Duratracs. They're the heavier E rated versions because I'll tow my Jeep with it. I also installed a 2.5" level with Motofab spacers and ReadyLift UCAs. Wheels are Fuel Shok in an 18x9 -12. It may seem contradictory for the guy concerned about mileage to do things that are clearly not going to help economy, but the plan all along for this truck was for it to be a capable, mild overland/tow rig/daily driver. I'm just trying to do what I can to meet those goals while also hopefully impacting the fuel economy with as little negative impact as possible. Hopefully over the coming weeks I'll have more data to share. Thus far, I feel confident that despite adding heavier/taller tires the economy hasn't gotten worse.....and that's saying something, if you ask me.

Here's some pics for those interested:
IMG_4083-XL.jpg

IMG_4084-XL.jpg

IMG_4089-XL.jpg

IMG_4086-XL.jpg

Tommy R

Reaction score
Thank you! I'm super jazzed with the way it came out. I was really concerned the bronze wheels would be a bit much, but now I'm so glad I opted for them instead of black.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you! I'm super jazzed with the way it came out. I was really concerned the bronze wheels would be a bit much, but now I'm so glad I opted for them instead of black.
Looks good! The two tone Rebels need some contrast from all black on wheels. I put Fuel Hardline 18"x9" on mine to add some bright milled accents, and turned white letters in on Duratracs'. Your wheel choice works really well with white/black paint. :cool: Just looked at your photos and the side view gave me a chuckle. The tree foliage lines up with your bed mounted tent and looks like its growing out of it.....haha. (There's your fuel economy problem......your bed bush has too much wind drag! ) :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Tommy R

Reaction score
Well, it's hardly scientific data, but thus far it seems that at worst my mileage is staying the same as it was before the lift/tire change. However, that's not including the fact that my speedo is now 3.3% pessimistic. I need to continue acquiring more data, but thus far I'm encouraged by what I'm seeing. I'll update more when I have more info. to share.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for keeping this updated.

I really want to get started on mods but I have to be an adult for the next 6 months lol.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, it's hardly scientific data, but thus far it seems that at worst my mileage is staying the same as it was before the lift/tire change. However, that's not including the fact that my speedo is now 3.3% pessimistic. I need to continue acquiring more data, but thus far I'm encouraged by what I'm seeing. I'll update more when I have more info. to share.
I am sure mileage will improve if you trim that big bush growing out of the truck bed....lmao....is it just me that finds the alignment of pic funny....:ROFLMAO:

Tommy R

Reaction score
LOL! Nope, Jhill pointed it out last week. :)

NixG80

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the stock wheels and duratrac tires on the 2019 Rebel weigh?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/