5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rebel hood vent.

Godscountryrider

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed on the 19+ rebel hood the hood vents are open.? If you pull back hood insulation you could cut the plastic backer and allow air into engine bay. And water etc.... but could be an extra air option. Or add back light under vents just my observation

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Back when these trucks first came out some discovered that. I think one guy was looking into 3d printing replacement vents. Another had just cut away the cap piece with a Dremel and carved the insolation away.

It blows my mind that FCA went thru the trouble of making the hood with the vent holes, but then closed them off.

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
Back when these trucks first came out some discovered that. I think one guy was looking into 3d printing replacement vents. Another had just cut away the cap piece with a Dremel and carved the insolation away.

It blows my mind that FCA went thru the trouble of making the hood with the vent holes, but then closed them off.
I bet they sealed them to meet noise standards.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
On the GT500 for example, you have functional vents but there is a plastic piece that covers them from underneath to prevent water & debris from entering during normal use. However, on a track day for example, you can remove them and allow more air for better cooling.

Maybe something like that can be done here?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did someone say 3D print? I can look into it. Although more air isn't always better. They may have closed them after they determined the engine performed better without them.

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
On the GT500 for example, you have functional vents but there is a plastic piece that covers them from underneath to prevent water & debris from entering during normal use. However, on a track day for example, you can remove them and allow more air for better cooling.

Maybe something like that can be done here?
Can't track my pickup, doesn't meet their roll over Calc standard haha. Would need to do a full lowering kit just to do Autocross.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Did someone say 3D print? I can look into it. Although more air isn't always better. They may have closed them after they determined the engine performed better without them.

As an air intake for sure, it needs to be metered accurately with proper tuning. But for venting hot air, especially in static conditions like idling in the summer while off-roading, it could help a bit.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As an air intake for sure, it needs to be metered accurately with proper tuning. But for venting hot air, especially in static conditions like idling in the summer while off-roading, it could help a bit.
Very true. I'll take a look.

Godscountryrider

Reaction score
I just did my driver side vent. Cut it open with a dremal. Cut insulation back. Not pretty but works. Doesn’t effect outside looks any. Gotta wait on new crown clips before I try passenger side. Those things suck.....

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FYI - IIRC there maybe concern on the drivers side that if rain/water comes thru the vent, it could spill out on something electrical... fuse box I think. Might want to check before you make that cut.

Jeeper

Reaction score
100%
We do this with Jeep hoods all the time. The water was never an issue and the heat dissipation was huge.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

ferrari94

Reaction score
Are there cutouts for the center bezel? If there are I wonder if it could be used with the Mopar Ramair intake for more/colder air

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe the Durango's have open hood vents at least on the V8's. I guess rain water is not a problem?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are there cutouts for the center bezel? If there are I wonder if it could be used with the Mopar Ramair intake for more/colder air
At least for the MOPAR one it's enclosed. Opening the vents wouldn't do anything for the intake. The Vararam is open, but I doubt opening those would help force more air in. Might be the opposite depending on what it does to the air flow in the engine bay. If it creates more turbulence (most likely) it would decrease flow.

350TX

Reaction score
Here’s a few pics for reference. I pulled these from a Craigslist post awhile ago.
4959560347092166a489ea92cf19ca08.jpg

99afa2bf37d892d2a87deedef7bec055.jpg

69bff61ea11d3c46538ec5bad2d97fb0.jpg

ed77f98ea6c5ca7ffd10686978650486.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here’s a few pics for reference. I pulled these from a Craigslist post awhile ago.
4959560347092166a489ea92cf19ca08.jpg

99afa2bf37d892d2a87deedef7bec055.jpg

69bff61ea11d3c46538ec5bad2d97fb0.jpg

ed77f98ea6c5ca7ffd10686978650486.jpg

Still boggles my mind that FCA/Stellantis manufactures the hoods with functional cut outs only to complete them with sealed louvers.

This pic proves definitively that you can make the vents functional with a sharp knife and a Dremel. Good find.

Crotalus

Reaction score
Any long term updates on this mod, would love to try it on my Rebel.

Users who are viewing this thread