5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

vietatran05

Reaction score
Dropped my truck off this evening so the dealership can pull the rear seats out first thing in the morning before the "glass master" comes to replace the back window. I asked them to check the 3rd brake light as well since the last storm brought in quite a bit more water and soaked the headliner as well. I went ahead and ordered a new one and the torx screws (not sure why they would make a difference but for next to nothing in cost why not), but want to see if the dealership replaces it under warranty. Figured worst case I'd have a spare for 2022/23 when it starts leaking again.

Has anyone had success swapping the bulbs out for LEDs? If so, got any recommendations for brands/part numbers? Figured this would be the best time to swap the bulbs but don't want to start throwing codes or CANbus failures.
I just installed these yesterday:

Rick_Hunts

Reaction score
Has anyone had success swapping the bulbs out for LEDs? If so, got any recommendations for brands/part numbers? Figured this would be the best time to swap the bulbs but don't want to start throwing codes or CANbus failures.
Go to O'Reilly or auto zone

Sylvania 921 LED work great.

They have a 1.3 watt i used in my brake light and a 2. Something I used for my cargo lights

Barqs

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. Didn't mean to derail the thread.

Now back to the cracked glass frame complaints. ;-)

Barqs

Reaction score
So the plot thickens for me. Turns out the "window guy" is different from the "leak guy" at my dealership, so this trip will only be for a window replacement and not an inspection of the 3rd brake light or other sources of water intrusion. And to make things worse, the dealership neglected to call the "window guy" to come in on Monday (the service advisor I had been communicating with no longer works there), so they had to keep my truck another day and hope that he can make time for them today. I used to like this service department and they've been great in the past, but a new service manager and a new crew has me second-guessing my decision.

Good thing I went ahead and ordered the new 3rd brake light, as I now to plan to install it myself when/if I get my truck back before the next rain forecast for tomorrow.

Barqs

Reaction score
And the fun continues. Just got a call from the dealer. They got the window installed but broke a trim piece while removing the side panels, so they'll be ordering a new one and hope to get it installed tomorrow. SMH

Rick_Hunts

Reaction score
And the fun continues. Just got a call from the dealer. They got the window installed but broke a trim piece while removing the side panels, so they'll be ordering a new one and hope to get it installed tomorrow. SMH

This is why I plan to try sealing mine first, I am just not up for dealer nightmares, I have a 1.5 one way drive to the dealer, and to do that several times...

I also bought a new 3rd brake light to install myself

Barqs

Reaction score
This is why I plan to try sealing mine first, I am just not up for dealer nightmares, I have a 1.5 one way drive to the dealer, and to do that several times...

I also bought a new 3rd brake light to install myself
Yeah, I was going to install the 3rd brake light this evening before the rain came, but now that the dealership will have my truck I told them to look for the wet headliner tomorrow and keep the truck as long as it takes to get it fixed correctly. Hopefully they'll see the leak and replace the 3rd brake light before giving the truck back to me.

I really love this truck, but I'm starting to get that dreaded feeling. My wife is already laughing and saying we'll have a new truck by the end of the year. I guess I've got a pattern of not keeping "tainted" vehicles.

Ramster

Reaction score
Well, after five weeks my wife finally got in touch with someone. They said they could not find a leak after running it through a wash and after a rain. We told them that five weeks ago there was a flood and that was when I took toilet paper out to the truck and took a video of it soaking up water. They asked for the video and it was the next day they found the leak after dropping the headliner. They said no window replacement this time but a reseal. THAT IS WHEN I TRADED IT IN ON A 2021!

Rich51

Reaction score
that was me new vs old
Based on your pictures from my two cracked windows, they replaced my 1st one with the same window 2 years ago. Hopefully then this new window for my 2nd one will be the newer version. Fingers crossed as it is supposed to be in tomorrow 4/15 then we will set an appointment for it to be installed.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dropping my truck off at the dealer today for replacement. I hope my loaner vehicle doesn’t suck

Ramman_666

Reaction score
How long has everyone been waiting for windows my dealer said they have a guys on order for over 3 months now and i just got looked at last week.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How long has everyone been waiting for windows my dealer said they have a guys on order for over 3 months now and i just got looked at last week.

For me, it took about 5 weeks from time of order to the part arriving.

Mine was ordered 3/8/21 and just came in a few days ago

Barqs

Reaction score
It took my dealer 5 weeks to get one transferred from another dealership, then my original order window came in a week later. They've had my truck since Monday and it's been far from smooth. First the window guy was a no-show, then they broke a trim piece when they were pulling everything out of the back to make room for the window guy. I have no idea when I will be seeing my truck again, or what condition its going to be in. :-(

Ramman_666

Reaction score
It took my dealer 5 weeks to get one transferred from another dealership, then my original order window came in a week later. They've had my truck since Monday and it's been far from smooth. First the window guy was a no-show, then they broke a trim piece when they were pulling everything out of the back to make room for the window guy. I have no idea when I will be seeing my truck again, or what condition its going to be in. :-(
i really hope that is not the case for me. i am sorry that has been such a nightmare i would be out of my mind. I was sick to my stomach when i seen the water coming in.

yellowboy

Reaction score
Got my 2019 Limited back today with a new window. Mine was not surround crack - just leaking. Dealer told me original window was not sealed correctly, This took 8 weeks for the window to come in. I had a fiberglass cap on the truck and I am waiting a few weeks for some substantial rain before I go to all the trouble to put it back on.

Ramman_666

Reaction score
Got my 2019 Limited back today with a new window. Mine was not surround crack - just leaking. Dealer told me original window was not sealed correctly, This took 8 weeks for the window to come in. I had a fiberglass cap on the truck and I am waiting a few weeks for some substantial rain before I go to all the trouble to put it back on.

I have an overland rack on so i understand the trouble of moving things around!

i actually just got a call and my glass arrived today he was shocked to say the least for this morning he said most likely months until we see it. so im hoping this is smooth. im thinking i am leaking form 3rd breaklight and the crack is just a bonus issue I may just keep clear tape over the light with the rack blocking it for the added comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread