5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

Barqs

Reaction score
Today's damage from last night's rain while still waiting for my replacement window. I'm beginning to think I've got multiple water intrusion issues but the dealership stopped once they saw the window frame cracks and a small leak from there. I'm going to tell them to keep it until they find all the issues and fix the damage.

Attachments

• crack.jpg
    crack.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 54
  • crack2 and stain.jpg
    crack2 and stain.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 53
  • stain2.jpg
    stain2.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 53
  • stain3.jpg
    stain3.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 52
  • stain4.jpg
    stain4.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 50
  • stain5.jpg
    stain5.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 51
  • wet carpet.jpg
    wet carpet.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Sad
Reactions: c3k

Barqs

Reaction score
I'm hoping it's that easy to check the part number and date code. I had a printed copy of the STAR case but I couldn't read the part numbers and when I asked the parts manager about it he wasn't happy I questioned him doing his job. I know we all get defensive when we are asked if we know what we are doing in not so many words.

But after 6 weeks of waiting for a window and dealing with the water intrusion of spring showers, I really don't care if it's a new window or the old one. Mine is cracked and leaking, so I need a replacement now. If it cracks again, they'll order a new one and hopefully by then the parts supply will be in better shape.
I called the parts manager today and he confirmed that the part they received from the other dealership had a manufacture date of March 2021, and they received the original order window this morning that also has a late March date. So they have two windows to choose from that should be the "better" window. Now if they can just figure out where all this water is coming from!

How many of you have had success getting the headliner and carpet replaced or cleaned up under warranty after the repairs are complete? My headliner is starting to show some bad water staining, and my carpet is soaked again.

Stryker6040

Reaction score
there is a redesign, old stock has been purged, newer frame is little bit thicket
Thats what we keep seeing but again we have a star case saying to not use windows dated before 11/20 which has part number X and we have multiple people here who have gotten windows in Jan, Feb, Mar 2021 who have had the same issue. I worked at a Ford dealer 20 year ago when I was in college and when a part was known to be bad you didnt continue to sell them until your stock was gone just to get through them, they were sent back to the depot. Again I am basing my information off the comments in this forum but this is a rear window not an engineered space shuttle part. Mine hasnt leaked until just the other week and it was bought late oct/nov 2018 so I guess I am on the lucky side but then to call multiple dealers around the area and be told warranty service appointments are 20 days out. Its spring here and we are getting some amount of rain everyday which means this window is leaking every day. Just frustrating to say the least.

Stryker6040

Reaction score
Today's damage from last night's rain while still waiting for my replacement window. I'm beginning to think I've got multiple water intrusion issues but the dealership stopped once they saw the window frame cracks and a small leak from there. I'm going to tell them to keep it until they find all the issues and fix the damage.
Id say a leak on the headliner there might be a sign of it coming in from the shark fin, unless the seal on the TBL is so bad its pouring in the top of the gasket

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
Wtf. Never trusting FCA vehicle again.

Barqs

Reaction score
Wtf. Never trusting FCA vehicle again.
It's not just FCA, but I understand the frustration. My buddies have had Ford F150s and they are also experiencing failing back windows and leaking 3rd brake lights. The back windows on the F150s are shattering with no warning!

It took 7 years before my Gen 4 developed the 3rd brake light leaking from the faulty seal. A $25 part replacement fixed it, and that was pretty much the only issue I had with my Gen 4 in 9 years and 100k+ miles. I didn't get more than 2 years out of the Gen 5 before this leak and the window frame cracking. Same climate, but totally different lifespan of the seals. Is it a sourcing issue, or a cost cutting decision? I don't know, but it sucks for all of us.

Stryker6040

Reaction score
It's not just FCA, but I understand the frustration. My buddies have had Ford F150s and they are also experiencing failing back windows and leaking 3rd brake lights. The back windows on the F150s are shattering with no warning!

It took 7 years before my Gen 4 developed the 3rd brake light leaking from the faulty seal. A $25 part replacement fixed it, and that was pretty much the only issue I had with my Gen 4 in 9 years and 100k+ miles. I didn't get more than 2 years out of the Gen 5 before this leak and the window frame cracking. Same climate, but totally different lifespan of the seals. Is it a sourcing issue, or a cost cutting decision? I don't know, but it sucks for all of us.
if they used a wider rubber seal they could probablly eliminate it all together but they use a foam tape and it doesnt take much to saturate the foam and it just doesn't hold up well

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
5 weeks and my window came in.

Dealer said it’s 68426398AC with a package manufacturer date of 3/29/21 which seems odd.

I thought everything after 11/26/2020 is supposed to be 68426398AD

minmar10

Reaction score
Anyone have issues with water from the front passenger column??

Attachments

• 3A5828E5-428D-4778-BB38-2EEEAC4EB44D.jpeg
    3A5828E5-428D-4778-BB38-2EEEAC4EB44D.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 51
  • AC942006-6419-475A-8902-EC6AA20EB87A.jpeg
    AC942006-6419-475A-8902-EC6AA20EB87A.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 1A49A6AE-A705-4E82-A618-BCCE7A501822.jpeg
    1A49A6AE-A705-4E82-A618-BCCE7A501822.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 51

Rich51

Reaction score
Second window crack is worse than the first. Didn’t think it would leak with a Topper on the truck and I was wrong. Took the truck in on March 30 and got a call today saying ram would warranty the window. Ya think! They are expecting the new window on April 15, then get it scheduled to be installed. Hopefully all goes as scheduled not holding my breath though. 47921F48-2A37-4C3F-B3D0-D106BDE20AFA.jpeg

Rich51

Reaction score
I wonder if the new $90k TRX is having this issue? I’d be really pissed if I had spent that much and it does. Sorry if it is and happening to anyone with a TRX.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Second window crack is worse than the first. Didn’t think it would leak with a Topper on the truck and I was wrong. Took the truck in on March 30 and got a call today saying ram would warranty the window. Ya think! They are expecting the new window on April 15, then get it scheduled to be installed. Hopefully all goes as scheduled not holding my breath though. View attachment 88674
SMH 🤦

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Second window crack is worse than the first. Didn’t think it would leak with a Topper on the truck and I was wrong. Took the truck in on March 30 and got a call today saying ram would warranty the window. Ya think! They are expecting the new window on April 15, then get it scheduled to be installed. Hopefully all goes as scheduled not holding my breath though. View attachment 88674
Holy Noah's Ark, Batman!

That's gotta be one of the worst cases I've seen on this forum.

I'm thinking my truck production is probably being delayed due to window assembly shortages, not this chip thing. What a fiasco.

Ram should step up and explicitly extend the warranty for water intrusion for a long time.

whetrick1

Reaction score
About to be when it is back in from back order....

Not yet waiting on my second one to come in so it can be replaced again. Looks like they would figure the problem out and fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SadiEJays

Reaction score
5 weeks and my window came in.

Dealer said it’s 68426398AC with a package manufacturer date of 3/29/21 which seems odd.

I thought everything after 11/26/2020 is supposed to be 68426398AD
Mine was replaced today and it has a manufacture date of 3/17/21 and is 68426398ac. Who knows but with all the **** i see on here im not optimistic that this issue is fixed and for a 50k truck im left unimpressed. I love the truck other than this one issue but it seems like it could be a major one at that.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Actually the current Silverado/Sierra that have the same rear window issues we have, mainly because we are using the same two suppliers for these windows. The rear window leak thread in GM forums is even longer than ours.

I had a 2015 F150 and was often on the forum, I didn't see any big issues with rear window leaks, certainly not at the level that FCA and GM have right now. I don't think your buddy's rear window issue was too common. Ford has a completely different window design than we and GM have.

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
Curious? Sorry I have read a good bit, but not all 1700 post. My trucks build date is 12 20. Would it have the same window that is prone to leaking cracks? I read some stuff that the replacements need a november 2020 date, so thats why I'm asking with a build date of December 2020? Otherwise is there a way to tell by looking at the window, other than waiting to find wet cab?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread