5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

ccm2001

Reaction score
3 weeks ago I witnessed this... leak on my passenger side corner. I ordered the new 3rd brake light with the part # ending in AG and the new torx bolts last week. I too have no cracks in my molding. Crossing fingers.
What's the delivery eta? Still waiting. I even put the new marine seal gasket. And it still leaked. But how does it travel to the far corner.

UPDATE ***

Im Receiving my 3rd brake light tomorrow Part #6829830AG & Lamp Screws #6036802AA
Gasket #68545973AA is on Backorder till April 5th

The Dealer even called Mopar direct to see the delay.

Last edited:

whetrick1

Reaction score
Just took mine in today after a hard rain yesterday because I found the top of the seat wet. They found it to be the back window frame cracked. It had been replaced about 8 months ago. And has never been opened. The service manager called it in today and called me 30 mins later and told me it had been approved. Said should have within 2 weeks. I'm glad because my truck has 400 mile to go before it's 3 yr or 36,000 mile warranty runs out. But he told me not to worry about it now. It's in the books now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
What's the delivery eta? Still waiting. I even put the new marine seal gasket. And it still leaked. But how does it travel to the far corner.

UPDATE ***

Im Receiving my 3rd brake light tomorrow Part #6829830AG & Lamp Screws #6036802AA
Gasket #68545973AA is on Backorder till April 5th

The Dealer even called Mopar direct to see the delay.
The screws should be here this week. The updated third brake light I ordered last Friday. I am hoping i get it by weeks end...

Where did you order your third brake light? And how long did it take to receive?

BTW can you send me some photos of your third brake light? I’m curious to know what the part # AG looks like compared to my stock on.

Thanks

ccm2001

Reaction score
The screws should be here this week. The updated third brake light I ordered last Friday. I am hoping i get it by weeks end...

Where did you order your third brake light? And how long did it take to receive?

BTW can you send me some photos of your third brake light? I’m curious to know what the part # AG looks like compared to my stock on.

Thanks
I will once i receive them .

ccm2001

Reaction score
I had covered my 3rd brake light yesterday and ran a hose for 10m straight on that corner. And nothing leaked.
I fully have my 3rd brake light covered in plastic this am and the corner started to leak with rain.... wtf

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
I had covered my 3rd brake light yesterday and ran a hose for 10m straight on that corner. And nothing leaked.
I fully have my 3rd brake light covered in plastic this am and the corner started to leak with rain.... wtf
You have to run the hose for 30 plus minutes. I did a 10 minutes test on the backlight installed and corner and got no water. I did it again for 30 minutes and I got water intrusion in the inside passenger corner.

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
I purchased a new part number third brack light. Ram has made a new one with the part number ending in AG now. Along with updated screws. I have not received them in the mail yet.. if this does not stop the leak I know for sure it’s the window surround seal that is bad. Hoping the third brake light is the fix though...

brakervan

Reaction score
The gaps are probably from seasonal shrinkage in the wood sill. Use latex (or an adhesive caulk like Polyseamseal or Phenoseal), so the trim paint can adhere. Avoid schmearing it up on the vinyl, as unpainted caulk will discolor in time. Don't be surprised to see continued condensation on the low areas of the glass Kodi nox .

Last edited:

LHarv

Reaction score
Almost 2 years. So that’s good and truck is still under warranty so should be fixed hopefully again.

Gotcha. I was told all parts/labour is guaranteed for 2 years at my dealer so if it cracks again I should be covered regardless of warranty.

ccm2001

Reaction score
I purchased a new part number third brack light. Ram has made a new one with the part number ending in AG now. Along with updated screws. I have not received them in the mail yet.. if this does not stop the leak I know for sure it’s the window surround seal that is bad. Hoping the third brake light is the fix though...
SO After Extensive water testing for about 3 hours this morning. Its not the 3rd brake light nor is it the rear window seal from what im experiencing .
After digging around every inch of the driver side corner , I have found the weather stripping on top the roof to be warped and not seated properly.

I blasted the roof seem from front to back with the truck on a slope, and i get tiny beads of water, in the same corner.
My 3rd brake light was absolutely dry on the inside, Aswell as my Shark Fin Antenna this AM after a night of rain .

Here are some picture i have taken, maby this is your culprit Aswell.

one is the driver side (leak)
other is the Passenger side.

You can clearly see the molding trim not flush to the edge of the seam.
Also looks like either the Molding is to small on the driver side or the Actual Frame it self is wider in that spot , because you can clearly see the difference in the gaps.

Attachments

• 1bad driver.jpg
    1bad driver.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 86
  • right good.jpg
    right good.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is the equivalent of the 'Coronavirus' for our RAM 1500's.
-You wait your turn to get the vaccine. (1st window replacement)
-Then you get a booster every year or two (new replacement window)
-Never ending cycle.
Ram should be ashamed.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
SO After Extensive water testing for about 3 hours this morning. Its not the 3rd brake light nor is it the rear window seal from what im experiencing .
After digging around every inch of the driver side corner , I have found the weather stripping on top the roof to be warped and not seated properly.

I blasted the roof seem from front to back with the truck on a slope, and i get tiny beads of water, in the same corner.
My 3rd brake light was absolutely dry on the inside, Aswell as my Shark Fin Antenna this AM after a night of rain .

Also looks like either the Molding is to small on the driver side or the Actual Frame it self is wider in that spot , because you can clearly see the difference in the gaps.
I wonder if some 3M seam sealant would work? Thinking about pulling that weather stripping, applying the sealant, then reinstalling the weather stripping.
Obviously, that would all depend on the body panel profile and how the weather stripping is held to the body.

ccm2001

Reaction score
I wonder if some 3M seam sealant would work? Thinking about pulling that weather stripping, applying the sealant, then reinstalling the weather stripping.
Obviously, that would all depend on the body panel profile and how the weather stripping is held to the body.
i know the 4th gens moldings are just 3m Taped on, but it appears these are clipped on. Now are they clipped through the sheet metal?

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, it will leak.... I have a 2019 Limited 44k, cracked and leaking. It seems every problem out there with this truck I seem to have and of course the dealer won't do anything. Love the truck, but sadly this will be my 1st and last Ram.

You should talk to another dealer. My original window developed the cracks but never leaked. It was replaced under warranty, and then there is a newer part number now. After 10 months with the replacement window installed, it cracked and started leaking also. They ordered it and told me it was covered under warranty even though my warranty is expired since the issue started and was documented under warranty.

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score

I appreciate follow up on that. I questioned the weatherstrip as well to the dealership and the service technician. I was told by the service technician that the weatherstrip is simply attached with adhesive and that there are no holes under the weatherstrip that could become a problem. Can you confirm this?

Users who are viewing this thread