5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

hoodac78

Reaction score
Hope you have better luck than I did. I was called last week and told my window was going to be in yesterday, but when I called the dealership today to ask about the appointment I was told the ETA was pushed back to early April, so they really have no idea when they'll get a replacement window for my truck.
Truck went into the shop this morning. I'm also getting the brake squeal issue addressed as well as a squeaky/rattling front drivers side dash speaker.

Echance01

Reaction score
Truck was dropped off this morning. They stuck to their 3/24 window arrival date (a little surprised). They are going to replace the 3rd brake light and need to have an outside window company come do the rear glass (their techs remove the seats though). Has anyone else had it happen this way?

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Updated screws should be torx screws, not Phillips head screws. Also TORX Screws are tightened to
2.8 NM / 24"lbs.

Do you know the build date of your truck ?
that's what i thought are there photos of those screws in the thread? mine was built this month with phillips screws

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Truck was dropped off this morning. They stuck to their 3/24 window arrival date (a little surprised). They are going to replace the 3rd brake light and need to have an outside window company come do the rear glass (their techs remove the seats though). Has anyone else had it happen this way?

Same here. Mine came back reeking of cigarettes thanks to the glass company. Definitely give it a once over before you drive off the lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdschadler

Reaction score
Picked mine up today. They replaced the third brake light but it is the Phillips head screws one.

georgesrt2020

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the StarPart Tech Tip Sheet & Picture of the Torx screw Part# 6036802AA
(THIS IS FOR 3RD BRAKE LIGHT REPLACEMENT)

I will post a picture tomorrow of the 3rd Brake Light with the Torx screws/bolts installed tomorrow....

Attachments

• IMG_2904.JPG
    IMG_2904.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2403.JPG
    IMG_2403.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 67

georgesrt2020

Reaction score
Picked mine up today. They replaced the third brake light but it is the Phillips head screws one
Picked mine up today. They replaced the third brake light but it is the Phillips head screws one.
If they replaced it - its not the new redesign 3rd brake light and did not look up the StarPart Tech that shows it requires the new TORX screws.

Redesign 3rd brake light will be available after April 5th

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes. Exactly the same way.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 047848 miles.

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the StarPart Tech Tip Sheet & Picture of the Torx screw Part# 6036802AA
(THIS IS FOR 3RD BRAKE LIGHT REPLACEMENT)

I will post a picture tomorrow of the 3rd Brake Light with the Torx screws/bolts installed tomorrow....
Is the replacement 3rd brake light seal different from the original besides the torx screws?

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
No..... but they do have a new light in process and that part # will be 68298380AG - Hopefully it will be released by the end of the month
I ordered mine online today. Hope this fixes my leak.

Attachments

• 3D7EEFE8-FFAE-465A-BAEC-5188AD57BF5E.jpeg
    3D7EEFE8-FFAE-465A-BAEC-5188AD57BF5E.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 018F270C-3140-4F92-8486-64E247F530A6.jpeg
    018F270C-3140-4F92-8486-64E247F530A6.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 73

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
Here is the picture of the 3rd Brake light that ends with part # AF as you can see from the picture there is an additional gasket added to the top of it.
You said part #AF. But in another response you said AG. Can you please confirm what the part number is. Thank you!

georgesrt2020

Reaction score
You said part #AF. But in another response you said AG. Can you please confirm what the part number is. Thank you!
The one I have now is Part # 68298380AF, that is the one I have pictured a few pages back with the added gasket seal on top.

The new redesign will be Part # 68298380AG and we will have to wait to see the changes of AG as it won't be available till after April 5th.

The only thing that changes is AF to AG in the part #.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had wet snow/rain last night and this morning my son jumped into his booster seat and asked why the seat was all wet... lucky me. Uhg.

So having been on this forum for a few years I am well aware of almost every major defect on the 5th Gen and am not surprised that I have ended up with the surround crack on my '19 Rebel.

That being said, I haven't seen any mention if this is related to having the Panoramic sunroof but can't help but think it is something responsible with extra flex in the upper roof section as well as the extended cab being 4" longer. My dealer was on the fence when I had a windshield crack, after no real evidence was found of a stone chip, and they had suspected body flex since they had seen other windshields with similar repairs. Ram denied the claim.

The sharkfin antenna and third brake light, in my opinion are inexcusable and should be replaced on every truck.

Hope I have success with the replacement rear window.

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
Did you call or e-mail MyMoparParts to check availability before ordering ? you will also want to order the new TORX screws Part 6036802AA QTY. 4
I called them right now and they will have it shipped by next Tuesday the part number for the light is 68298380AG based on my order. Is 68298380AG the light with the extra seal like you have shown in your photo?

I’ll order screws.

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
The one I have now is Part # 68298380AF, that is the one I have pictured a few pages back with the added gasket seal on top.

The new redesign will be Part # 68298380AG and we will have to wait to see the changes of AG as it won't be available till after April 5th.

The only thing that changes is AF to AG in the part #.
Also, sorry for the numerous questions but I’m really trying to get to the bottom of this leak. The photo you have with the part number ending in AF Is that a gasket that you added to your existing rear brake light assembly?

georgesrt2020

Reaction score
Also, sorry for the numerous questions but I’m really trying to get to the bottom of this leak. The photo you have with the part number ending in AF Is that a gasket that you added to your existing rear brake light assembly?
No, AF comes with the additional gasket already installed - My original light was Part # 68298380AE

you can order the gasket by it self and install it on previous versions of the light AE, AD, AC, AB etc.....
If you need the part number to the Gasket only let me know , But I won't recommend doing that just wait for AG hopefully it is a updated design with a better gasket

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
No, AF comes with the additional gasket already installed - My original light was Part # 68298380AE

you can order the gasket by it self and install it on previous versions of the light AE, AD, AC, AB etc.....
If you need the part number to the Gasket only let me know , But I won't recommend doing that just wait for AG hopefully it is a updated design with a better gasket
Thank you for the information. Well hopefully the AG model will arrive in a week. Can you also send me the part number for the gasket in the event I ever do decide to give it a shot.

georgesrt2020

Reaction score
Thank you for the information. Well hopefully the AG model will arrive in a week. Can you also send me the part number for the gasket in the event I ever do decide to give it a shot.
Here is the part number to the gasket 68545973AA..... the gasket is around $20.00 which is almost just as much for a whole new light.

Users who are viewing this thread