5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

vietatran05

Reaction score
My headliner was dry and it was the 3rd brake light, but my truck is parked on a slope driveway ..... Maybe that's why my headliner was dry ???
I have a slope on my driveway as well. Maybe it is the 3rd brake light. I’ll find out soon.

SemperGumby

Reaction score
Here is the picture of the 3rd Brake light that ends with part # AF as you can see from the picture there is an additional gasket added to the top of it.
Does the new model they use as a replacement come with LEDs? Just figuring out if I need to pull mine before I take the truck in.

georgesrt2020

Reaction score
Does the new model they use as a replacement come with LEDs? Just figuring out if I need to pull mine before I take the truck in.
No..... but they do have a new light in process and that part # will be 68298380AG - Hopefully it will be released by the end of the month

Barqs

Reaction score
OMFG this is really dissappointing.... they need a recall on this
Recalls are only for SAFETY issues, not frustrating quality defects. I'm waiting to see if the STAR case eventually leads to a TSB so all dealerships will have easier access to the info when folks bring their trucks in complaining about water leaks. It takes a bit of effort for them to find the STAR cases but the TSBs are easier to locate if they are willing to look for them. Some are, but many still won't. As widespread as this issue appears on this forum, my dealership still says my truck is the first they've seen.

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
I took my truck in when i noticed my headliner was stained in both corners. Said it was coming from the 3rd brake light. Replaced and it is still leaking. You can see where the frame is going to crack but it hasn't yet. i am hoping that they can fix correctly this time. I hope it doesn't ruin the headliner.
I have leaking in one corner. Looks like this. What was your resolution to your problem?

Attachments

• D6134561-9BD6-4D91-AF6F-E726ECD55767.jpeg
    D6134561-9BD6-4D91-AF6F-E726ECD55767.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 70

vietatran05

Reaction score
I have a slope on my driveway as well. Maybe it is the 3rd brake light. I’ll find out soon.
I just confirmed it’s leaking from the 3rd brake light. The service advisor told me he doesn’t have an eta on when he can order the new one.

hoodac78

Reaction score
Hello. I just found a crack/leak in my truck as well yesterday. I noticed your post and after doing some online surfing of the ole interwebs, I have found the attached STAR Bulletin. Hope that helps you and you get a proper fix. My wheels go into the shop on Monday morning for its exam so I hope they do the right thing and replace what needs to be replaced. Cheers.
Just heard back from my dealership this morning after waiting a few weeks. I have an appointment on Thursday to have the rear window replaced. Initially he had told me that the windows were on back order throughout North America until probably mid-April. Seems that these windows are in high demand........

Barqs

Reaction score
Just heard back from my dealership this morning after waiting a few weeks. I have an appointment on Thursday to have the rear window replaced. Initially he had told me that the windows were on back order throughout North America until probably mid-April. Seems that these windows are in high demand........
Hope you have better luck than I did. I was called last week and told my window was going to be in yesterday, but when I called the dealership today to ask about the appointment I was told the ETA was pushed back to early April, so they really have no idea when they'll get a replacement window for my truck.

georgesrt2020

Reaction score
I just confirmed it’s leaking from the 3rd brake light. The service advisor told me he doesn’t have an eta on when he can order the new one.
Was told today ETA for Mopar parts warehouses across US is April 5th for the 3rd brake light.....

Nova90

Reaction score
My Dad has a 2019 Rebel and I asked him about if he had those cracks & he said no. Well, I stopped over there and took a look myself. He has 2 vertical cracks on both sides of the window frame. Now, that he is taking notice, there are water droplets and its leaking. He took it to the dealer today & showed them the Star bulletin and pics of the water leak. Service manager says he has only seen one other truck with this issue. Service manager is contacting Ram about next step. The 2019 is still under warranty with 6,500 miles. I'm not sure my Dad has ever opened that window. I think it is more about flex in the cab vs. the window bumping stops.

Hopefully, the 2021 Rebel that I am about to order has these water leaks squared away...although, after reading the history here, I am not so convinced.

Thanks for all the great info here!
My Dad has been working with the dealer & RamCares to resolve his cracked & leaking frame. He took it to the dealer in early March. He was told the new window would be in on 3/25...which is a date that I see others have been told as well. Today, he got an email from RamCares that the window will not be in until 5/4!

I wonder if it's a new & "improved" part. Hopefully, the water doesn't cause too much damage to the interior in the meantime.

Barqs

Reaction score
My Dad has been working with the dealer & RamCares to resolve his cracked & leaking frame. He took it to the dealer in early March. He was told the new window would be in on 3/25...which is a date that I see others have been told as well. Today, he got an email from RamCares that the window will not be in until 5/4!

I wonder if it's a new & "improved" part. Hopefully, the water doesn't cause too much damage to the interior in the meantime.
5/4? I was told mine would be in on 4/5, which I thought was bad enough. It would be nice if they'll pull some inventory off the line and help the customers out instead of running three shifts at the plant pumping out as many trucks as they can, but I suppose they already have our money.

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is the picture of the 3rd Brake light that ends with part # AF as you can see from the picture there is an additional gasket added to the top of it.
can you take a shot of the screws? are they phillips or torx? i just took delivery of mine and it's phillips on the 3rd brake light

georgesrt2020

Reaction score
can you take a shot of the screws? are they phillips or torx? i just took delivery of mine and it's phillips on the 3rd brake light
Updated screws should be torx screws, not Phillips head screws. Also TORX Screws are tightened to
2.8 NM / 24"lbs.

Do you know the build date of your truck ?

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
waited almost 2
months for my new window, pickd it up last friday, dealer said not to wash it for a week, poured here in upstate ny ystrdy went outside after work to take a peek, guess what guys NEW WINDOW leaking beyond pissed

Attachments

• EF0D2968-01AD-492A-A3F4-D23D1A2F0BD6.jpeg
    EF0D2968-01AD-492A-A3F4-D23D1A2F0BD6.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 13532A92-5F6C-4063-BD43-6B9AFD3E37F0.jpeg
    13532A92-5F6C-4063-BD43-6B9AFD3E37F0.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 76

mdschadler

Reaction score
Mine is leaking again. No cracks in the frame this time and it looks like it is coming from above it. Dealer confirmed the leak Monday and took it yesterday at 8am to fix. They still have it. They had to pull the headliner to find and fix the leak. No word yet on what they found. It seems like Ram would save money by replacing the seals for the antenna and the light when they replaced the rear window. This is a lot of duplicate labor. And 4 service appointments to deal with and now going on 3 days of loaner car.

Users who are viewing this thread