5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear Window Leaking

yellowboy

Reaction score
Well it was a matter of time - I have been checking all my windows for leaks and found one the other day at the very top corner of the rear window on the passenger side. There is no crack (yet) that others have posted about.
The problem is I have a fiberglass cap on the truck and I know the dealer will say I have to remove it for them to address the issue. That means breaking the seal on the bed, getting a new seal, remounting and hope it doesn't leak again. I slopped some silicone on the outside where the black seal on the roof curves down and will wait and see.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm about to fix mine for the second time, small drip today on the opposite side from the first go around. The reason I'm guessing it's leaking after the first repair is my dumbass over tightened and cracked the plastic around all 4 screw heads

yellowboy

Reaction score
Thanks would the water run from the light all the way over to the corner of the window ?

Last edited:

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well it was a matter of time - I have been checking all my windows for leaks and found one the other day at the very top corner of the rear window on the passenger side. There is no crack (yet) that others have posted about.
The problem is I have a fiberglass cap on the truck and I know the dealer will say I have to remove it for them to address the issue. That means breaking the seal on the bed, getting a new seal, remounting and hope it doesn't leak again. I slopped some silicone on the outside where the black seal on the roof curves down and will wait and see.
Sorry to hear this 😩

Scram1500

Reaction score
Thanks would the water run from the light all the way over to the corner of the window ?
Yes, there is a rail/channel right behind the light that funnels the water to either side of the window frame. It's still possible that there is leak around the window but a drip on either side points to center brake light

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, there is a rail/channel right behind the light that funnels the water to either side of the window frame. It's still possible that there is leak around the window but a drip on either side points to center brake light
Just like my vibration issues with no fix, I realized when I bought my 19 it was the first year, I get it they need to work out the kinks! However they have been building these since 2018 and still can’t get it right😩! Ram bought my 19 back and I had a 2021 built, I hope its problem free as I do love these new ram trucks👍🏻

yellowboy

Reaction score
Well I can't get to the window or light with the cap on the truck so I have to get the cap dealer to remove and remount the cap. I'm sure that won't be cheap. Really regret getting this clunker now.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I can't get to the window or light with the cap on the truck so I have to get the cap dealer to remove and remount the cap. I'm sure that won't be cheap. Really regret getting this clunker now.
I feel your pain, I never had the window leak yet, however I had the vibration tire issue on my 19. I hope you figure it out. Ram needs to recall all these trucks and fix them all right, enough is enough! Window leaks, vibration, balance issues and many many more😩

Quint

Reaction score
You would think that they would address this, as I had the third taillight leak in my 2015. Seems ridiculous that after six years of manufacturing "improvements" they can't put a better seal around the thing. They read the forums, telling us that RAM Cares about stuff, so they should at the least fix the little things.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Mind boggling that it ever happens in the first place, and not just Rams but all truck mfgs have had this issue

yellowboy

Reaction score
This has become a major boondoggle. The dealer that put the cap on won't do it so now trying to find another who will. My first Ram and my last Ram.

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This has become a major boondoggle. The dealer that put the cap on won't do it so now trying to find another who will. My first Ram and my last Ram.
is it really that hard to get to the third brake light without standing in the bed? worst case, reach your arm out the rear window

yellowboy

Reaction score
is it really that hard to get to the third brake light without standing in the bed? worst case, reach your arm out the rear window
Yes can't do it - not enough room -without removing or at least sliding the cap back - which I can't do at the dealer.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Dribble some flowable silicone in there, got nothing to lose

yellowboy

Reaction score
I tried that as a temporary fix - no good. It would have to be fixed under warranty anyway to be covered.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It takes 4 guys, I am able to but live alone and cannot find 3 other able people !
If this thing is still under warranty, I wouldn’t touch it, that’s for ram to fix, not the customer! This is one of the problems, too many people trying to fix their own issues while ram just sits back and laughs and rolls in our cash, BS!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread