5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window leak

GeorgeA

Reaction score
After going through this and having to replace a failed RF hub because of it (it's mounted under the rear window), I'm wondering what would happen if the RF hub failed while the truck was traveling down the road. When ours failed the truck had been sitting for a couple weeks. When I went to use the truck it was completely dead. No lights, couldn't unlock doors, no remote start, etc. When I unlocked the door with the physical key the alarm went off, which seemed to be the only thing working on the truck. No dash lights, no power windows or locks, no dome light. I had to disconnect the battery to silence the alarm. Would the truck be totally dead if the RF hub failed while someone is driving it? That seems like it could be a safety issue to me.
Many of us have experienced a "shut down" while the truck is moving on the road. There are several posts on this forum. And YES - It is a huge safety issue.

As of now, no route cause has been identified. Many of us think that the RF hub is the culprit due to water intrusion from the rear window.

In my case, I had no idea that I had a window leak. The window leak was discovered while the truck was being diagnosed for the "shut-down" problem.

I wanted to change the RF Hub, but they were on back-order for 6 months.

The dealer kept the truck for 30 days and could not find any error codes or replicate the problem.

I check this forum every day, hoping that the issue would be identified and a recall would take place to fix the issue.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The large box appears to be referred to as a receiver for the keyless system. I don’t have a part number so I can verify 100%, only from images.

I used the wrong terms. What I was referring to are antennas not hubs.

View attachment 171304 View attachment 171305
Ram calls it the RF hub.
edit: instruction fails to mention removing the the hot-pink antenna connector.

Attachments

• rf hub.jpg
    rf hub.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Kaldir1934

Reaction score
My truck goes in December 4th for a water leak test. Rear glass was already replaced a year ago, and it's leaking already, so hopefully after it fails this new water leak test and it gets replaced again, it will stay fixed. (I doubt it though)

Truck went in today, and dealer said it appears to be leaking from the 3rd brake light. They sent a quote for $300 for it to be replaced, so I called them up and referenced the TSB number for the brake light, and he confirmed it is fully covered. (I would think they would see this in their search?). Part should be in tomorrow, so hopefully it actually is the brake light.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Truck went in today, and dealer said it appears to be leaking from the 3rd brake light. They sent a quote for $300 for it to be replaced, so I called them up and referenced the TSB number for the brake light, and he confirmed it is fully covered. (I would think they would see this in their search?). Part should be in tomorrow, so hopefully it actually is the brake light.
They probably know about the extended warranty, but if the customer is none the wiser, they are happy to take your money.

That’s where the name stealership come in

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What was changed on the window? I had mine replaced mid June and it looks the same as the original.
I don't know what they changed, but someone on one of the many rear window threads, said, I believe they had a different part number. It was months ago, so I cant guarantee if it was part number, or looked different. That's the problem, when people start 12 posts on the same issue, it makes it hard to find.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
What was changed on the window? I had mine replaced mid June and it looks the same as the original.
I doubt anyone here knows for sure. That sort of information isn't something they usually release to the public.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The newer model of the window has a bar aross the interior upper section for more support. I can grab a picture for you tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
I'd be interested in seeing your pics because the only difference I could see was there are no longer the vertical mold release marks where the cracks would develop with the original window.

Kaldir1934

Reaction score

WELP! I had heavy rain this past Sunday, and guess what, the rear window still leaks, even with the 3rd brake light replaced. (Shocker, I know!) So I will be calling them back, and setting up another appointment, and this time I will bring the TSB for the rear glass too. lol

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
WELP! I had heavy rain this past Sunday, and guess what, the rear window still leaks, even with the 3rd brake light replaced. (Shocker, I know!) So I will be calling them back, and setting up another appointment, and this time I will bring the TSB for the rear glass too. lol
The TSB is what made the difference for us. They had already squirted in some silicone and said they fixed it. Looks like it might have sealed it but to me that's just a band aid fix. As soon as they saw the TSB they said they'd be ordering a new window that day. Here's a pic I took of one of the cracks in the window frame after the window was removed, in case anyone is curious.

Attachments

• Rear window crack 3.jpg
    Rear window crack 3.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 70

Dannyd715

Reaction score
3rd brake light leaks are definitely real. Pretty much all truck makers have issues with this. Dealership said there is evidence of water leaking through the 3rd brake light, and I'm not disputing that. But when there are visible cracks on the rear window frame with drops of water at the bottom of the cracks, it's hard to argue that those aren't leaking as well.

Edit: added pic
View attachment 144371
Same issue mine ruined my rf hub just got my truck back did you fix till the issue if so how ?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Same issue mine ruined my rf hub just got my truck back did you fix till the issue if so how ?
I'm not sure what you're asking me. Fix till? I didn't fix this issue myself. The truck was still under warranty and was repaired by dealership and local glass replacement shop.

Kaldir1934

Reaction score

Quick update. I got my truck back today, and the rear glass has been fully replaced (again). Funny enough, there was someone else there with a 2020 RAM that also had the rear glass leaking. He said as soon as he saw the TSB in snail mail, he brought his truck in.

I'm really hoping this is the last time this issue pops up. 3rd brake light, and rear glass replaced per the two TSB's.

PressTheButton

Reaction score
Add me to the list of leaking window frames...and today i've got 2 days before a major rain/snow storm and no garage. I want to do the permatex fix today. My question to the community is this. Should I do leak prevention for the other problem areas such as the sharkfin and the 3rd brake light? My hesitation is the truck is used, 85k miles, so for all I know the previous owner already addressed those areas. I don't want to make the situation worse. Would you fix the window leak, and then wait and see if other areas leak? or do it all at once?

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Add me to the list of leaking window frames...and today i've got 2 days before a major rain/snow storm and no garage. I want to do the permatex fix today. My question to the community is this. Should I do leak prevention for the other problem areas such as the sharkfin and the 3rd brake light? My hesitation is the truck is used, 85k miles, so for all I know the previous owner already addressed those areas. I don't want to make the situation worse. Would you fix the window leak, and then wait and see if other areas leak? or do it all at once?
Get your sealant around the window asap, no reason to assume other leaks if you don't have clear evidence.

St-na

Reaction score
I would do 3d brake light as well, 10 min job. Were leaking on both '14 and '21, see no reason to wait.

Users who are viewing this thread