5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window leak

amaliks

Reaction score
2022, 12K KM on the clock. Rain in UAE is pretty rare, however yesterday night it rained and quite heavily for here. Rear windows corners leaked from both sides. I had already put marine grade silicon on third brake light and shark fin. Today tired with hose pipe and immediately both corner sides started to leak. Being Canadian import there is no chance of dealer warranty. Option 1 is to leave as is as rain is pretty scares, only concern is pressure wash might ingress some water causing damage after some time. Option 2 is to goto a window installer and try to get the whole rear window gaps covered with silicon (any one did it and any advise). Option 3 is to open up the headliner and seal with silicon from inside complete thing perhaps more work. What others have tired successfully and worked.

Attachments

• 20231027_162754.jpg
    20231027_162754.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 20231027_162757.jpg
    20231027_162757.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 20231027_162846.jpg
    20231027_162846.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 61

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2022, 12K KM on the clock. Rain in UAE is pretty rare, however yesterday night it rained and quite heavily for here. Rear windows corners leaked from both sides. I had already put marine grade silicon on third brake light and shark fin. Today tired with hose pipe and immediately both corner sides started to leak. Being Canadian import there is no chance of dealer warranty. Option 1 is to leave as is as rain is pretty scares, only concern is pressure wash might ingress some water causing damage after some time. Option 2 is to goto a window installer and try to get the whole rear window gaps covered with silicon (any one did it and any advise). Option 3 is to open up the headliner and seal with silicon from inside complete thing perhaps more work. What others have tired successfully and worked.
Clean it really good to get all the sand out, let it dry.
Then apply flow-able permatex silicone all the way across and down the sides. I used almost two tubes of the stuff.
edit: forget about sealing it from the inside.

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-817...locphy=9007687&hvtargid=pla-406644581015&th=1

dork17

Reaction score
I’m just going to do the corner that leaks at the moment. The gap between the window and body is too small to get in there to seal much else without filling the crap out of the whole space.
I updated the seal on the brake light a year ago and that’s been fine since. So as long as I don’t get the cracks by the slider, I’m hoping this will take care of it.
Get some irrigation syringes fill them up with the permatex. They're curved, and my window had a very tight gap between the body and frame and these are very thin on the end. Cut them to the size you need to fit. Photo attached to show the syringes.

Attachments

• 146__64726.1528830609.jpg
    146__64726.1528830609.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 34

battleshipRam

Reaction score
Nice idea with the syringes.

2019 Limited. 62k. Have a small leak due to frame crack near slider, drivers side. Also cracked on passenger side but not leaking there...yet. I had thought it was the 3rd brake light (aftermarket) but reinstalled OEM and the leak remained.

Its wild the cracks are so straight and symmetrical in position on the frame I thought they were just joints in the trim for a while!

Anyway took to the dealer today. They are covering it based on TSB. Waiting for the part. I'm happy...but it almost seems too easy so far...

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Just seal the whole thing from left to to right and down the sides with Permatex and be done with it.
The replacement will crack and the defroster solder-joints can come apart.
At least mine did.
One POS dealer told me that I do not qualify for the warranty extension and another said that I do, and I have an appointment in two weeks to get the window replaced. I‘ve successfully sealed my cracked window with silicone(almost two years back in post #70) and am wondering if its even worth the hassle to strip the silicone and take it in for a new window? I’d also have to remove my canopy and rack.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One POS dealer told me that I do not qualify for the warranty extension and another said that I do, and I have an appointment in two weeks to get the window replaced. I‘ve successfully sealed my cracked window with silicone(almost two years back in post #70) and am wondering if its even worth the hassle to strip the silicone and take it in for a new window? I’d also have to remove my canopy and rack.
@Nsleone was in the same boat as you. I believe he left the silicon but every dealer could have a different reaction to seeing silicon there

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Nsleone was in the same boat as you. I believe he left the silicon but every dealer could have a different reaction to seeing silicon there
I left my silicone in when I dropped it off, they didn’t say anything about it but they sure did a “great job” of removing the silicone… I guess I can’t complain to much since the work was free.
There was a lot of the silicone I installed still on the truck when I got it back. It looks really bad and I definitely need to clean it all up.

If I could do it over I’d try to get all the silicone out before, so you don’t have to stress about damaging the new rear window and it’s seal after the fact..

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
it doesnt stop must be thousands of people who have this problem still no recall..sickening same with Hemi Tick exhaust bolt...gona go puke now...

Ratchet

Reaction score
Mine just started leaking again around 8 months after rear glass replacement. I replaced the seal on CMSL with the typical seal others have used. Still leaks. Flowable silicone in corners and still leaks. Guess I'll clean the silicone out of corners and just lay a bead across the entire top and sides of window.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine just started leaking again around 8 months after rear glass replacement. I replaced the seal on CMSL with the typical seal others have used. Still leaks. Flowable silicone in corners and still leaks. Guess I'll clean the silicone out of corners and just lay a bead across the entire top and sides of window.

Yup, all the way across the top and down the sides.
Plus the new, with upgraded gasket, CMSL, it is cheap enough.

I have been keeping my eye on the shark-fin antenna, not sure if it will present a problem in the future.

Ratchet

Reaction score
Yup, all the way across the top and down the sides.
Plus the new, with upgraded gasket, CMSL, it is cheap enough.

I have been keeping my eye on the shark-fin antenna, not sure if it will present a problem in the future.
Thanks for confirming that.

It's raining now and I'm taking the camper to the lake this weekend so no time to fix it with my work sched. Ordered the dental syringes like is posted above to make the process easier and cleaner. Should be here when I get back. I'll follow up after I get the glass sealed.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Seems like this was an issue with earlier model 5th gens. Have they fixed the issue in general in 2023 and 2024 models?
Time will tell, but someone had one replaced and said it was a new design, in June I think.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
RECALLS ARE FOR SAFETY ISSUES! This is not a safety issue. They have extended the warranty.
I think the only way this would become a safety issue would be for a water leak to cause a fire from the lithium battery pack for the eTorque system… but then of course they’d only recall the broken windows on trucks with eTorque…. And probably only after a bunch of occurrences…

6of36

Reaction score
I think the only way this would become a safety issue would be for a water leak to cause a fire from the lithium battery pack for the eTorque system… but then of course they’d only recall the broken windows on trucks with eTorque…. And probably only after a bunch of occurrences…
Hasn't been one fire from a wet battery.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was thinking it could be a safety concern from mold.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
After going through this and having to replace a failed RF hub because of it (it's mounted under the rear window), I'm wondering what would happen if the RF hub failed while the truck was traveling down the road. When ours failed the truck had been sitting for a couple weeks. When I went to use the truck it was completely dead. No lights, couldn't unlock doors, no remote start, etc. When I unlocked the door with the physical key the alarm went off, which seemed to be the only thing working on the truck. No dash lights, no power windows or locks, no dome light. I had to disconnect the battery to silence the alarm. Would the truck be totally dead if the RF hub failed while someone is driving it? That seems like it could be a safety issue to me.

6of36

Reaction score
After going through this and having to replace a failed RF hub because of it (it's mounted under the rear window), I'm wondering what would happen if the RF hub failed while the truck was traveling down the road. When ours failed the truck had been sitting for a couple weeks. When I went to use the truck it was completely dead. No lights, couldn't unlock doors, no remote start, etc. When I unlocked the door with the physical key the alarm went off, which seemed to be the only thing working on the truck. No dash lights, no power windows or locks, no dome light. I had to disconnect the battery to silence the alarm. Would the truck be totally dead if the RF hub failed while someone is driving it? That seems like it could be a safety issue to me.
IF it happens, and a couple people report it, then the NHTSA would investigate, and if THEY found it to be an issue, they would call for a recall. They determine all recalls.

Users who are viewing this thread