5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window leak

Synergy26

Reaction score
Last edited:

yellowboy

Reaction score
I got my truck back yesterday with a (SECOND) new window installed. Another 2 days with no transportation as I live alone #$%@&:mad: !!!!

The part number for the window ends in AF. The tech said to me "if it leaks again it won't be covered but if you ***** to Ram they might cover it". I WON'T HAVE THIS P.O.S. LONG ENOUGH TO FIND OUT.

Last edited:

armyrec1

Reaction score
Does anyone have a report on how long the Permatex seal holds? Is it a "relatively" permanent solution? I'm torn on what to do. I don't want to waste all that money on a brand new window if $20 will fix the problem with no after effects.

armyrec1

Reaction score

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone have a report on how long the Permatex seal holds? Is it a "relatively" permanent solution? I'm torn on what to do. I don't want to waste all that money on a brand new window if $20 will fix the problem with no after effects.
I drive my '19 Limited once a week currently, if that. I just did the Permatex seal last night, even with no leak. I don't want to jump in one day and see it's been leaking. For the $7.48 the tube was on Amazon, it's a no brainer.

Overall, what I could see was that my seal looked good... but there were two spots where I could tell the Permatex seeped down more.

For as many trucks have the leak, just throw Permatex on it and move on with life.

yellowboy

Reaction score
I got my truck back yesterday with a (SECOND) new window installed. Another 2 days with no transportation as I live alone #$%@&:mad: !!!!

The part number for the window ends in AF. The tech said to me "if it leaks again it won't be covered but if you ***** to Ram they might cover it". I WON'T HAVE THIS P.O.S. LONG ENOUGH TO FIND OUT.
I forgot to add they found a small crack in the window and frame but I could not see it because I have a cap on the truck.

BTW--- on most trucks you get in and start. With these trucks if it's raining you spend 5 minutes looking for a leak first then get in and start.

hornet2k1

Reaction score
Did anyone actually have any luck with RamCares getting money back? I had my entire rear glass replaced due to a leak that fried the “RFH module” under my back seat, was without the truck for 5 weeks due to waiting on parts. I got the response that the platinum warranty wouldn’t cover glass or water intrusion as well.

Synergy26

Reaction score
Did anyone actually have any luck with RamCares getting money back? I had my entire rear glass replaced due to a leak that fried the “RFH module” under my back seat, was without the truck for 5 weeks due to waiting on parts. I got the response that the platinum warranty wouldn’t cover glass or water intrusion as well.
What happened when you rfh module fried?

hornet2k1

Reaction score
What happened when you rfh module fried?
Truck just shut off (while driving down the road) at first. I was able to turn back on, then it died when I put it back in drive. Started it again, and was able to get it pulled into a gas station across the street.

While sitting there with it shut off, all electrical started going haywire, turning on and off with me not touching anything.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ram Cares paid for all of mine. Now I have a C8 Communication Error on my Andoid Auto that no one can fix. That's another story though.

armyrec1

Reaction score
Guess what? I heard nothing from FCA even though they said I would hear from them by the end of today. I even called them and left a message. Surprise surprise.
Stopped at Autozone and got some Permatex on the way home. Hopefully the weather this weekend cooperates.

ALT_F13

Reaction score
I've got my truck from the dealership today. New window installed, no cracks in corners. Guess what - I drove 2 miles back from the dealership during mild rain - and I see water drops in the same place again. New window leaks from day 1.
Will be doing a Permatex trick over the weekend.

BackCountryinNJ

banned at member request but still lurking
Reaction score
I've got my truck from the dealership today. New window installed, no cracks in corners. Guess what - I drove 2 miles back from the dealership during mild rain - and I see water drops in the same place again. New window leaks from day 1.
WTF

SeaHogs

Reaction score
Check the 3rd brake light seal if it hasn’t been done already.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea I would check the third brake light, if the new window is not cracked already it should not leak. I had a leak from the break light twice and this last time it was the rear window as it developed cracks. Just got it back from the glass shop yesturday and so far it did not leak sitting out in the rain.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The gasket just gets old over time, I ordered a new break light for like 25 bucks and reinstalled which fixed it, others have added an extra gasget. Make sure to tighten the two middlescrews first and then the out side screws to get an even pressure on the light. Also make sure to clean the body where it meets the gasket with some rubbing alcohol to get a good seal before reinstalling.

SeaHogs

Reaction score
Can you give more details please what to check and how to fix? Screws are tight, no visible gaps.
The factory seal can degrade over time. The dealer resealed mine but all they did was urethane the light straight to the truck and it did not seal good enough. I got a new window and it leaked the next rain. One corner leak was fixed by the new window, but my remaining leak had to be the brake light or antenna. It was drops in the center and trickles out of my c pillar where the seat belts retract.

I sealed the antenna with silicone for peace of mind and then realized when I took my brake light off what they had done. Scraped all the urethane off (what a chore) and put a rubber seal I got from Amazon on. Permatex’d the new window for added peace of mind. A few days later we had heavy rain the whole day. No leaks whatsoever.

Not saying it’s your case exactly, but it’s possible. I never had a single crack in my frame that I could see in the old window or new. New window looked like it had an added seal from the glass company also. Good luck with the leak. So many have this issue

ALT_F13

Reaction score
The factory seal can degrade over time. The dealer resealed mine but all they did was urethane the light straight to the truck and it did not seal good enough. I got a new window and it leaked the next rain. One corner leak was fixed by the new window, but my remaining leak had to be the brake light or antenna. It was drops in the center and trickles out of my c pillar where the seat belts retract.

I sealed the antenna with silicone for peace of mind and then realized when I took my brake light off what they had done. Scraped all the urethane off (what a chore) and put a rubber seal I got from Amazon on. Permatex’d the new window for added peace of mind. A few days later we had heavy rain the whole day. No leaks whatsoever.

Not saying it’s your case exactly, but it’s possible. I never had a single crack in my frame that I could see in the old window or new. New window looked like it had an added seal from the glass company also. Good luck with the leak. So many have this issue
Can you share an Amazon link to the rubber seal you've used, please?

SeaHogs

Reaction score
Can you share an Amazon link to the rubber seal you've used, please?

M-D Building Products 1033 M-D 0 All Profile Weather-Strip Tape, 10 Ft L X 19/32 in W 5/16 in T, Epdm Rubber, Black https://a.co/d/9UchzrY

Scrape and clean off the old seal. Should be a perfect flat spot that this seal fits well on. Just put the cut where the new seal meets at the bottom of the light. I put some silicone on the line where the two ends meet.

Users who are viewing this thread