5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window leak

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
@RamCares I just had my inspection, to which the dealership ordered the parts and said I had the exact same issue as everyone else. Upon checkout he verified my vin and said the warranty was not allocated to my vin. I responded with I spoke to RamCare two weeks ago and they said it would be covered once I got an inspection and said I’d call RamCare back.

Immediately after (about 20 min ago) I called RamCare back and got a rude customer service representative. She informed me that there was nothing she could do, there was no supervisor, and she could not transfer me to the Extended Warranty Dept to discuss adding my vin to the list. This has left me really dissatisfied with the level of care Ram shows to their loyal customers who spend this kind of money on their vehicles and are repeat customers. Kind of crazy that VINs are arbitrarily being chosen to decide which vehicles are lucky enough to be fixed free of charge and those of us are being stuck with a $1400 bill like I was quoted this morning. For reference, the vehicle has 16,700 miles.

As of right now, I am supposed to get a call from a supervisor, even though they have no idea when their supervisor is in because it’s not their job and there is no posted schedule. Now I understand why everyone wants to trade in their truck after dealing with Ram.
You will never get called back fyi. I never got to speak to a supervisor before.

JRD

Reaction score
I had a different unrelated problem with paint.
They also refused to pay after approving the word via recorded phone call and email.
It is actually unbelievable to be honest

JRD

Reaction score
I just called them again trying to talk to a supervisor and this customer service person was much better. He opened a case for me and is going to try and see if they’ll pay for a portion of the repairs. We’ll see how that goes

Kaldir1934

Reaction score
I just called them again trying to talk to a supervisor and this customer service person was much better. He opened a case for me and is going to try and see if they’ll pay for a portion of the repairs. We’ll see how that goes

Is there another dealer that you could try bringing it to? Seems odd that it wouldn't be covered.

JRD

Reaction score
Is there another dealer that you could try bringing it to? Seems odd that it wouldn't be covered.
So I’ve brought it to 2 dealerships, the second of which was the most helpful. He ordered me all the parts, but to summarize he said it’s out of their hands because it isn’t attached to my vin their hands are tied on the dealership side.

After calling @RamCares they say not all 2019 1500 Laramies are covered. Even though the TSB clearly states this, only specific VIN numbers qualify. When confronted with the fact that I have the same exact issue, in the same exact location, of the same exact make and model. I was told it isn’t their job to say who’s covered and who isn’t. Furthermore, she said she couldn’t transfer me to the extended warranty dept who is in charge of deciding what VINs get approval.

It would seem that my only hope at this point is when I called a second time today, the guy opened a case and is going to try and get Ram to pay for a portion of the glass. No idea what they’ll say about my damaged seats, the dealership said it was not big deal once the code or whatever was applied to my VIN they could file a claim for collateral damage as a result of the fault window. Seems like a cop out because if they pay a portion they aren’t taking responsibility for the damages they’re just being nice and helping me out.

We’ll see how this plays out, not too high on Ram at the moment

JRD

Reaction score
so just to update everyone, I received a call from @RamCares on Feb 29 which I missed and they left a voicemail. I called back that day, to no answer and left a voicemail. Fast forward 2 business days later, and I have called both days and left a voicemail for them each day (3). At the time of this posting, I have not received any call back. Nor have I received any messages from @RamCares on here directly. Not sure if they’re even active anymore.

BlackRebelUT

Reaction score
Update on my situation - Recap: 3rd brake light was swapped, but it was still leaking - the first dealership was flippant about helping me. I engaged RamCares and got a phenomenal support person, who was great. Suggested I take it to a new dealership.

The new dealership had it in - called me within a couple of days and agreed to swap out the back window even though it didn't show cracks, but I had a video of water leaking through, so it was hard to refute the issue. New Dealership then ordered me a new headliner and also had to swap the windshield.

So...all in all: 3rd brake light replaced, rear glass replaced, headliner replaced, windshield replaced.

Ram Cares stayed in constant contact with both myself and the service manager and so far there appears to be no leaking. I will keep a close eye on it and if something does start leaking, I plan to seal the back window myself with the fixes identified. Summary: Get Ram Cares involved, if you have issues with your current dealer, find another one that hopefully will do the right thing.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update on my situation - Recap: 3rd brake light was swapped, but it was still leaking - the first dealership was flippant about helping me. I engaged RamCares and got a phenomenal support person, who was great. Suggested I take it to a new dealership.

The new dealership had it in - called me within a couple of days and agreed to swap out the back window even though it didn't show cracks, but I had a video of water leaking through, so it was hard to refute the issue. New Dealership then ordered me a new headliner and also had to swap the windshield.

So...all in all: 3rd brake light replaced, rear glass replaced, headliner replaced, windshield replaced.

Ram Cares stayed in constant contact with both myself and the service manager and so far there appears to be no leaking. I will keep a close eye on it and if something does start leaking, I plan to seal the back window myself with the fixes identified. Summary: Get Ram Cares involved, if you have issues with your current dealer, find another one that hopefully will do the right thing.
Good to hear.

dogiebitt

Reaction score
I noticed wet carpets under the rear seats on my 2021 Ram Rebel with 27k miles and started diagnosing with info from you all. Figured out it was coming from the top corners of the rear window.

Dealership refuses to repair under warranty due to “glass has 12 month/12k mile warranty” and my VIN is not part of the extension. I asked them to show me where it states that this type of manufacturer defect (there’s no damage) is not covered, and was told that it is proprietary information that they cannot handout to customers.

After searching on the mopar website, I found that it does state the “back window” has the 12/12k warranty, but it also says it excludes “windshield or rear window damage from external objects”. I get having a 12 month warranty on consumable items like light bulbs or windshield wipers, but why is the glass only warranties against manufacturing defects for 12 months?

The glue around the back window failing should not be considered back window. It’s the glue. @RamCares where do I go from here? Truck is still part of the 3/36 warranty.

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
I noticed wet carpets under the rear seats on my 2021 Ram Rebel with 27k miles and started diagnosing with info from you all. Figured out it was coming from the top corners of the rear window.

Dealership refuses to repair under warranty due to “glass has 12 month/12k mile warranty” and my VIN is not part of the extension. I asked them to show me where it states that this type of manufacturer defect (there’s no damage) is not covered, and was told that it is proprietary information that they cannot handout to customers.

After searching on the mopar website, I found that it does state the “back window” has the 12/12k warranty, but it also says it excludes “windshield or rear window damage from external objects”. I get having a 12 month warranty on consumable items like light bulbs or windshield wipers, but why is the glass only warranties against manufacturing defects for 12 months?

The glue around the back window failing should not be considered back window. It’s the glue. @RamCares where do I go from here? Truck is still part of the 3/36 warranty.
Find a different dealer. I had mine replaced @ about 30k. My truck is also not included in the extended warranty, and the dealership replaced it without argument or question. Some dealerships simply don't want to do warranty work and will try to get out of it anyway they can. I agree with you that this is NOT a "glass" issue and is not part of the 12k/12 month coverage. This is covered under the 3year/36k warranty.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, definitely take it to a different dealership. Dozens (probably more) of us have had our rear windows replaced and the 3/36 warranty covered them. On our truck it was replaced with two months left on the 3/36 warranty. Definitely well outside the 12/12 glass warranty.

JRD

Reaction score

Good luck my friend, I have been going back and forth with Ram Cares for going on 3 weeks. I was first contacted on 2/29 and just received a call back yesterday. Also, don’t bother @ Ram Cares, you’re better off sending them a DM on here and they’ll reply much quicker. I would call Ram Cares 800-992-1997 and open a case. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Like others said, go to a different dealer.
The glass is fine, what is broken is the frame.
Had mine done under warranty at 21 200 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread