5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear Window Leak 2021+ model years

mopar1981

Reaction score
Unfortunately the dreaded rear window leak has just struck my 2021 BTS 1500 (manufactured 5/2021) with just 24k miles. Was hoping this wouldn’t have happened since the 2021+ were supposed to have this addressed by now. Bummer since the truck has been absolutely flawless otherwise. To have something so dumb like rear window leak is disappointing to say the least.
I reached out to my service center and RAM cares, hopefully they make this right.
Anyone else with more recent model year 1500 having this issue as well? IMG_5795.jpeg

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Unfortunately the dreaded rear window leak has just struck my 2021 BTS 1500 (manufactured 5/2021) with just 24k miles. Was hoping this wouldn’t have happened since the 2021+ were supposed to have this addressed by now. Bummer since the truck has been absolutely flawless otherwise. To have something so dumb like rear window leak is disappointing to say the least.
I reached out to my service center and RAM cares, hopefully they make this right.
Anyone else with more recent model year 1500 having this issue as well? View attachment 174285
If you read the other back window threads, the leaks didn't end in 21. They just redesigned the rear window again in June or July of 23. GMs have the same problem.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can't say I've heard any reports of rear window leaks on the 2022's or 2023's. But I've definitely seen more and more lately on the 2021's. I thought they fixed it in 2021 as well, but apparently it was late 2021 (moving into the 2022 models).

mopar1981

Reaction score
Production date was May 2021. That would’ve been almost the very end of factory 2021 model year, right?

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Production date was May 2021. That would’ve been almost the very end of factory 2021 model year, right?
The 2022's started on 9/13/21. And they continued to build a few 2021's even after that date.

PatriotLonghorn

Reaction score
I have a 1/21 build and I have the leak. Going in next week to be looked at.

mopar1981

Reaction score
I have a 1/21 build and I have the leak. Going in next week to be looked at.
Keep us posted on your progress with this. Seems like full panel/window replacement is the only solution unless leak is caused by the brake light.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 5/20 build and a 2020 model. Mine leaks.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine also had the leak in the corner. I sealed it using the PermaTex flowable caulk. I not only filled the channel on the top of the window, but I pushed what I could over the top corner to allow it to flow down the sides also. I've had no leak in a year now.
This is the only true fix, unless you want to keep going back and having the dealer replace it.

mopar1981

Reaction score
Really, so even with about 6 months left on bumper to bumper warranty. Going the Macgyver route with Permatex is better than anything the dealer has to offer? Would this void the warranty if I screw it up?

mopar1981

Reaction score
Has anyone had RAM service offer sealer/PermaTex as an option rather than pulling off the entire rear glass?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When my 2020 had a couple of leaks in the back a company that only does leak repairs came in and sealed the leaks as replacements weren’t available at the time. Never did get the window replaced before I traded it in.

If the glass and frame are replaced with the same parts they will just crack or leak again, most likely once the warranty runs out even tho it has been extended for this issue alone. So the self fix with sealant is a good way to make sure you never have to deal with it.

A clean bead of clear or black silicone around the third brake light, roof mounted antenna and inside the gap between the rear glass and its frame is a good preventative measure that can be removed if needed.

Last edited:

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone had RAM service offer sealer/PermaTex as an option rather than pulling off the entire rear glass?
Ram will NEVER offer this as a fix.

There are countless on here who have had their window replaced more than once.

I had a '15 F150 and could see the water pouring in from the panoramic roof, where there was a slight gap in the weatherstripping (corners between the two panes of glass). Two spots of caulk and it stopped.

Zero leaks on either of my '19 Rams from the rear window, but I still used Permatex as a preventative...

To each their own though.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My replacement window leaked in the same spot on both sides. That is most likely a crack in the frame or imperfection in the glue. Other leaks such as brake light and shark fin usually come with a wet headliner, however a large enough crack in the frame will soak the headliner.

If you remove the trim you might be able to see exactly where the drip is coming from. In my case I could see water come from the glue seam itself. I was able to fix the leak from the inside of the cab using a product called Captain Tolley's that was developed for use in marine environments for sealing portholes, hatches, rivets, etc. It is very thin and uses capillary action to find cracks or voids. Just a couple drops of glue at the location of the water drip and it was pulled into whatever void was there. Could have douched the whole frame from the outside but wanted a more surgical repair instead of my normal chainsaw approach. I tried to repair the first window with silicone and that was an epic failure as the kids say. One of the best features of Captain Tolley's, besides having it fix my leaks, is being water based making any clean up a breeze.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I found Captain Tolleys. Thanks. For $13, definitely worth it. I'll give it a try. I still have s small leak I just can't find.

mopar1981

Reaction score
My replacement window leaked in the same spot on both sides. That is most likely a crack in the frame or imperfection in the glue. Other leaks such as brake light and shark fin usually come with a wet headliner, however a large enough crack in the frame will soak the headliner.

If you remove the trim you might be able to see exactly where the drip is coming from. In my case I could see water come from the glue seam itself. I was able to fix the leak from the inside of the cab using a product called Captain Tolley's that was developed for use in marine environments for sealing portholes, hatches, rivets, etc. It is very thin and uses capillary action to find cracks or voids. Just a couple drops of glue at the location of the water drip and it was pulled into whatever void was there. Could have douched the whole frame from the outside but wanted a more surgical repair instead of my normal chainsaw approach. I tried to repair the first window with silicone and that was an epic failure as the kids say. One of the best features of Captain Tolley's, besides having it fix my leaks, is being water based making any clean up a breeze.

Awesome suggestion on the Capt Tolley’s. This may be exactly what I need.
I pulled back some of the trim and could not see any crack in the window frame all the way to the white retaining clip in the corner of the window. Looking at it outside from the top down. There is a small indentation at a body weld where there doesn’t appear be good contact with the window seal. Wonder if I can just squirt a bit of Capt Tolley’s in that from the outside. Anyone else have experience with using Capt Tolley’s before?

Reaction score
My 2021 (Bought CPO last year), Build date of 10/20 has a leak in the rear drivers side about an inch from the edge. Looks like it's cracked right above the gutter trim so all of the roof's water hits it. I've seen other photos with the same crack in this area.

Had fun sucking about 1/2 gallon of water out of my carpets this weekend, and we're in one of those times where we get storm after storm here in California.

It's now at Autonation in Roseville, CA. They told me that it's technically a "few days past" the cutoff for the warranty extension (9/30/20 was the cut off in the Warranty extension). But they're going to call in and see what FCA will do after they do the water intrusion confirmation. Have to pay $259 for the diagnosis. Not sure if this is something @RamCares can help with. Dealer said they see this every day now... "They're all going to need to be replaced... every single one".

The darker line is the leak on the inside part of the glass..

back windw.jpg PXL_20240122_164853405.MP.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread