5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear wheelhouse liners: protective, or just for looks?

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, driving on gravel and dirt roads is totally different than just driving and getting accumulation from paved roads. I just got home from a 25 mile drive and there's almost nothing on my bumper. And having the Rebel with the off road tires, I should be grabbing anything and everything that's willing to be picked up.

OleNavyMane

Reaction score
Hi all,

Any thoughts on whether the wheelhouse liners are functional, or are they just for looks?

I live in a place that uses road salt and has snow for 3 months out of the year, so not sure if that means I need them to protect the vehicle?

Thanks!
They are functional. Even though they don't look all that substantial, they have held up nicely.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yep. Owned two trucks with it.

It’s ok for a car. But a truck, it’s almost impossible to clean all the crap out of them.

It’s to “reduce road noise”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. My wife's car has them and even with a power washer it takes a while to get all of the leaves, dirt, pine needles, etc off of them. That's why I don't get the Bed Rug...similar material. It would be a big hassle cleaning off the mud, gas, and oil from my dirt bike. Someone mentioned spray-in bed liner in the wheel wells. My Tundra had that. It's very durable and looks good for years, but all kinds of crap gets caught in the nooks and crannies between the bed, frame, and upper shock mount.

I admit, I included the wheel house liners when I ordered my truck primarily for looks, but they definitely do a good job of protecting and keeping crap from getting in-between the frame and bed.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Yeah I tried the bed liner in my wheel wells on one of my trucks. It was ok but still not as nice as the plastic liners.

Plus you don’t have to worry about your paint chipping and starting rust

chris288

Reaction score
go down to your local dealer and take a peek behind the rear wheel of a truck that doesnt have them and see how flimsy the sheet metal is under there , not to mention theres pinch welds right in there as well... definitely worth it, aftermarket plastic liners are about 1/2 the price as factory.

daustin

Reaction score
I got the Rugged Rear Wheelhouse liners. After about an hour and a half of fighting with the driver side one, between trying to get the plastic to sandwich between the half liner and flare and keeping the front half flare in place for the screw hole to line up, I ripped it back out to wait for a day where I have more patience. Is the best trick to use a heat gun? These things did not want to go in. The anticipated end result was not worth the level of frustration to get them in. Haha. Maybe they'll go in easier if I heat them or when it is warmer out.

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Installed my Rough Country liners today. They weren’t too bad to install without using a heat gun. One mistake I made initially was removing the stock 1/3 wheel well liners. The RC liners are meant to pinch between the stock liners and the fender inner lip.

D4E02C74-25B8-4C6C-89F1-6AF6C875349A.jpeg

pensfan

Reaction score
Not all paint colors cost the same in their raw form. That’s normal practice.

You should see what a gallon of bright red costs at your local automotive paint shop

Delmonico Red is an extra $100 on the Ram. On the Charger Octane Red, same color different name, is $395. There is less paint used on the car yet it is 300 more. No sense to the pricing. When I leased my '19 Charger there was no extra charge for Octane Red or most colors.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
did you make a video?

that would be cool
No, I should have. They were very easy to install though, and I didn’t even have to remove a wheel. Just unbolt the 1/3 liners, slip the RC liner in, line up the 1/3 liner speednut holes, and tighten everything up.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Delmonico Red is an extra $100 on the Ram. On the Charger Octane Red, same color different name, is $395. There is less paint used on the car yet it is 300 more. No sense to the pricing. When I leased my '19 Charger there was no extra charge for Octane Red or most colors.
You don't think there is logic involved in these choices do you? d92fab23838e665f08faeb58d9bc87f8.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread