5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear wheelhouse liners: protective, or just for looks?

sws2ndRAM

Reaction score
I ended up getting the Rough Country version as a Christmas gift, and installed them yesterday, a cold and damp day here. The Rough Country version "seemed" a bit thicker and tougher, so I went with them vs. the Mopar version. RC's instructions say it's a 20 minute installation. Ha! Maybe 20 minutes on Jupiter. But after some cussin' and fussin', I got them installed. One tip -- if you do this in cold weather, borrow or rent a heat gun and get the plastic pliable. I put a heater on low heat in front of mine for an hour or two, and that sure helped me as I "encouraged" the pieces into place. It's amazing how much crap ended up all around the back third of the vehicle without well covers.

Jprec8it

Reaction score
I ended up getting the Rough Country version as a Christmas gift, and installed them yesterday, a cold and damp day here. The Rough Country version "seemed" a bit thicker and tougher, so I went with them vs. the Mopar version. RC's instructions say it's a 20 minute installation. Ha! Maybe 20 minutes on Jupiter. But after some cussin' and fussin', I got them installed. One tip -- if you do this in cold weather, borrow or rent a heat gun and get the plastic pliable. I put a heater on low heat in front of mine for an hour or two, and that sure helped me as I "encouraged" the pieces into place. It's amazing how much crap ended up all around the back third of the vehicle without well covers.
Did you have to remove the existing 1/2 liners, did you have to remove all fender lip screws? Getting mine in a couple days.

Jprec8it

Reaction score
Getting my R/C liners in 2 days. I’ll post photos and hopeful tips to get installed.
thanks for the infor, guys.

pensfan

Reaction score
I think they are a must have and in my opinion should not be an option but a standard feature. Seems so ridiculous that with all the bells and whistles these trucks have 2 thin pieces of plastic have to be an added option. 🙄
They are standard on the Classic. The trucks are overpriced to begin with. The bs of charging extra for most colors is another rip off.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not all paint colors cost the same in their raw form. That’s normal practice.

You should see what a gallon of bright red costs at your local automotive paint shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Rear wheel liners are really not what I want to spend my money on, but I think they are necessary. I’m going to order some rough country wheel liners right now.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yep. Owned two trucks with it.

It’s ok for a car. But a truck, it’s almost impossible to clean all the crap out of them.

It’s to “reduce road noise”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redfour5

Reaction score
Irrespective of the other things mentioned. Go through mud without them and then try to clean it vs having them. It's worth the what 195 bucks? Easy.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rough Country:
Rear Wheel Well Liners | Ram 1500 2WD/4WD (2019-2022)
$93.95

Ordered from
Rough Country, LLC

Total cost
$93.95

Items
Rear Wheel Well Liners | Ram 1500 2WD/4WD (2019-2022)
IMG_2969.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Irrespective of the other things mentioned. Go through mud without them and then try to clean it vs having them. It's worth the what 195 bucks? Easy.
$195? Under $100

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I saw some other guy say he had them installed by the dealer 195 including labor I guess...
That was the cost of the option from the factory on my ‘21 also. Not disputing anyone, just throwing in my 2 cents onto what Redfour said.

MoreOvalteenPlz

Reaction score
Rear wheelhouse liners were the first mod I did after buying my pickup, as I was not a fan of how it looked without them. They do offer decent protection from rocks and debris, but not nearly as much as having the area bedlined, as others have mentioned. Got mine from Rock Auto back in April ‘21 for $169.67 shipped, which included both liners (P/N’s 68275910AB + 68275911AB) and a box of 10 screws needed (P/N 6510175AA).

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Someone showed me another area of protection. I have the liners and drove to his house, about 10 miles. My rear bumper had almost zero dust on the top when I got there. His truck didn't have the liners and he went for a quick drive in his neighborhood and had dust all over the bumper and tailgate. So, the liners also prevent dust build up on the rear.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can say q
Someone showed me another area of protection. I have the liners and drove to his house, about 10 miles. My rear bumper had almost zero dust on the top when I got there. His truck didn't have the liners and he went for a quick drive in his neighborhood and had dust all over the bumper and tailgate. So, the liners also prevent dust build up on the rear.
I can say 100% without a doubt, they do not help with dust on rear bumper or tailgate. My parents live on gravel roads. Dust accumulation was no different between before and after me installing mine

Users who are viewing this thread