5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear view mirror camera !!

2020blckout

Reaction score
Wondering is some one have try this ?
I want to install a rear view mirror camera on my 2020 limited , I have limo tint all around and can barely see trough rear glass
My 2018 escalade have the mirror camera and is amazing also the new chevys have them too!
does anybody knows if this is possible? Using the same backup camera already install it?

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First thing I noticed about my truck when I took it for the first test drive, rear view mirror is hardly usable due to the tint. Do you not have the 12" screen? I don't even use my rearview mirror much anymore except at night.

2020blckout

Reaction score
First thing I noticed about my truck when I took it for the first test drive, rear view mirror is hardly usable due to the tint. Do you not have the 12" screen? I don't even use my rearview mirror much anymore except at night.
I do have the 12 “ screen but I would love the option to have this nice mirror camera at night

zlman

Reaction score
Maybe I'm not understanding what it is that you'd like to add but how does a "mirror camera" have any benefit vs the factory set up.
I know with mine I can see the surroundings easily.

Xhumeka

Reaction score
Maybe I'm not understanding what it is that you'd like to add but how does a "mirror camera" have any benefit vs the factory set up.

Not the same obviously because the Evoque's rear window is miniscule compared to the 1500's, but Doug does a good job of showing the benefits of a rear view mirror camera system (the new 3/4 and full ton trucks are all moving to this as well since they are used for towing so much):

(3 minute, 13 second mark of this vid):

2020blckout

Reaction score
So pretty much you can pick between mirror mode or live camera showing the rear of you truck all times
Because our trucks cameras disappear after 5 sec when driving

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ll be at my buddy’s shop who does all electronic modifications. I’ll check and see if what you are referring to is possible and report back.

2020blckout

Reaction score
I’ll be at my buddy’s shop who does all electronic modifications. I’ll check and see if what you are referring to is possible and report back.
Thanks bud!! Please keep us on the loop

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not a problem, I’m also going to check local yards and see if there are any wrecked Rams. That way I can grab the current mirror from one and also se what would need to be done to mod it.

Hail rebel

Reaction score
Hey guys ! Just saw a 2021 rebel with tech package which includes the rear view mirror camera through the third brake light. Any idea whether we could integrate on to our 5th gens, seems like a bit of work. But seems like we early adopters are stuck with a dated tech now compared to these new ones 🤦🏼‍♂️

AutoTerry

Reaction score
I also seen this on the 2021 RAM, kinda cool. I was also wondering if the wiring is already there and you might just have to buy the mirror and the newer 3rd stoplight with the camera inside. My 2020 is a late build and thought maybe it would be there, no way as no camera wiring to be seen. Would have been expensive to add. I know the 3rd brake light assembly is a tad over $300 and I am sure the mirror would be in that range or so. I have the sunroof so would be harder to fish the cable without removing the headliner.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I was hoping my 21 was going to have this, but it was missing that package.
I think it sounds cool in concept though and was eager to check it out. The dealer did not have any there with it though for me to see.
I will say the standard mirror in the 21's atleast are fairly useless IMHO. They are too small and with them being angle cut on the corners seems like it was a waste of work to cut it down and make it less useful.

AutoTerry

Reaction score
My friends Chevy has the mirror cam, it is cool, but there are some disadvantages he claims. Like, you can't easily look in the back and see your rear slider window to know if it is open or closed (just turn around and look was my comment) night time is not that great, not sure of that as I never drove his truck at night. My dealer has a 21 with it and the mirror looks to be the same size. Viewing angle is better with the camera image based mirror than the stock mirror. I agree the mirror size is too small. Also that package contains the Head Up Display. I did see that at the dealer working. Smaller foot print than my friends Chevy. My wife's car has heads up and while it was cool at first, it is something I really don't miss my Ram having, plus with polarized sunglasses it is hard to see if you can see it at all.

WilburNJ

Reaction score
I installed rearview mirror cam (that records front and back video) on my 1500. It’s a cheapo noname brand off of Amazon. It’s not the best camera quality (2K in the front and FHD in the back), but it’s good enough for me. Pretty inexpensive at I think less than $100. I hardwired it into the wiring in that mirror assembly. Here are some pics of the setup.

3A53E949-11D5-4FF1-BBE3-9A3886D363DD.jpeg C8EE7753-814D-4AF9-8DC4-664F0FB390BB.jpeg BED686C4-F068-4080-BFDE-AD98F14527F2.jpeg

jdooms

Reaction score
I installed rearview mirror cam (that records front and back video) on my 1500. It’s a cheapo noname brand off of Amazon. It’s not the best camera quality (2K in the front and FHD in the back), but it’s good enough for me. Pretty inexpensive at I think less than $100. I hardwired it into the wiring in that mirror assembly. Here are some pics of the setup.

View attachment 77151 View attachment 77153 View attachment 77154
how did you disassemble the plastic housing behind the mirror? I can't find anything on how to get it down. I've taken off the center section, but the "U" shaped piece I can't get off. I'm afraid that I'm going to break it. Does it slide down the window? Do I need to pull or snap something off, then pull it down???? I'm frustrated as **** with this thing. LOL

glasswagon

Reaction score
how did you disassemble the plastic housing behind the mirror? I can't find anything on how to get it down. I've taken off the center section, but the "U" shaped piece I can't get off. I'm afraid that I'm going to break it. Does it slide down the window? Do I need to pull or snap something off, then pull it down???? I'm frustrated as **** with this thing. LOL
4 clips in each corner. Use a flat plastic trim tool. Pop the top corners first then the bottoms. The bottom right has a small notch where you can slide the trim tool in. It is actually super easy to pop off after the first time. Center small piece was harder to pop out for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/