5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear Tailgate “open” notification no longer supported

WorthFlorida

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just came back from the dealer here in Ontario Canada for a
Standard oil change and a feature that stopped working that warns me if my tailgate is open. This would pop up on my centre cluster - a picture of the truck with the tailgate open and a warning. I want to be clear that when I bought the truck new 2019 model year Laramie with Level 2 equipment feature. Clearly stated on the build sheet as an option. After discussions with FCA tech group, they stated the truck should not have had this feature without other features such as adaptive cruise control ( which I don’t have ). The tailgate ajar feature worked flawlessly until this past summer over the air update disabled it. My question is, I bought this truck in good faith with the features listed on the sticker and now FCA is saying they made a mistake by offering this. I say this is a breach of contract. Does anyone else feel this is a cop out and what other features will they no longer support ?

Frustrated here in Ontario.
Yesterday it happened to me the tail gate opened while driving, apparently I didn't fully latch it because of the tonneau cover. My 2021 RAM with Level A took delivery on Sept 24, two months ago, never worked.

Add this to the gripe where the tailgate warning is not supported.

On line Build and Price for 2021 and 2022 does list it as a feature under the Level A & B group. There are no disclaimers requiring any other feature(s). Someone at RAM is not doing their job. Most of the options and package description are nearly identical to the 2021 on line site. It was just a cut and paste.

Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 3.15.08 PM.jpg

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don’t waste your time contacting your dealer or customer care in Canada. I tried for weeks on end and spoke to the highest up customer care reps, contacted the BBB, filed complaints with CAMVAP and transport Canada and got absolutely nowhere.

I took a truck almost identical to mine to my dealer showing them the “standard option” works just fine without parallel park assist or mft but they still weren’t able to turn it on in my truck.

Disabling this feature without warning is a safety issue, if you accidentally leave your tailgate open now you won’t get a warning and could easily lose cargo out of the back causing injury to other drivers.

Get yourself alfaobd and enable it in a couple of minutes. Fca/ram does not care, they just want you to buy a better equipped truck to enable a standard feature. We have the “lamp” and everything required for it to work but the dealer can’t get approval to add it to our build in the program.

The star case I posted was replaced with another one which doesn’t mention anything about a fix. It only states that without the mft or park assist it won’t function which is BS as alafobd can enable it in seconds but the dealer level techs can’t?

Attachments

• DF0CE97F-45DA-4D32-B03F-7D712F7E006D.jpeg
    DF0CE97F-45DA-4D32-B03F-7D712F7E006D.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 8A821064-DC1C-41E7-81D3-39421CBE2093.jpeg
    8A821064-DC1C-41E7-81D3-39421CBE2093.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 53AEB90E-D8B6-4726-B9D1-243650F1C0E6.jpeg
    53AEB90E-D8B6-4726-B9D1-243650F1C0E6.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 19
  • A0A4365D-DDB4-4843-8EA9-456416FC2A84.jpeg
    A0A4365D-DDB4-4843-8EA9-456416FC2A84.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tailgate open - stuff fall out - vehicles behind truck hit stuff - accident ! Not hard to figure out !
Not sure about your truck, but when my tailgate is open, my rear parking sensors are going crazy. Man survived for 80-90 years driving trucks without tailgate open sensors and did just fine. To call it a safety feature is a stretch

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Yesterday it happened to me the tail gate opened while driving, apparently I didn't fully latch it because of the tonneau cover. My 2021 RAM with Level A took delivery on Sept 24, two months ago, never worked.

Add this to the gripe where the tailgate warning is not supported.

On line Build and Price for 2021 and 2022 does list it as a feature under the Level A & B group. There are no disclaimers requiring any other feature(s). Someone at RAM is not doing their job. Most of the options and package description are nearly identical to the 2021 on line site. It was just a cut and paste.

View attachment 112652
what you posted is worthless
this is just for entertainment

your build sheet has the answer

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure about your truck, but when my tailgate is open, my rear parking sensors are going crazy. Man survived for 80-90 years driving trucks without tailgate open sensors and did just fine. To call it a safety feature is a stretch
it becomes a safety issue when a standard feature that may prevent cargo from falling out of the bed is removed without notice, I see trucks everyday driving around with their tailgates open and the driver has no clue. At highway speeds it doesn’t take much to cause some serious injuries.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
it becomes a safety issue when a standard feature that may prevent cargo from falling out of the bed is removed without notice, I see trucks everyday driving around with their tailgates open and the driver has no clue. At highway speeds it doesn’t take much to cause some serious injuries.
people think you get better gas mileage with it open.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do they really have "no clue" or you just assume they don't because you don't like driving with tailgate open?

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
ram has this nifty feature where you can turn on your back up cam whilst driving. If you cant remember if you closed it or not, simply turn it on. Ive never owned a truck with this warning and im glad my current one doesnt have is, since the tail gate is down a good bit while hauling things.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do they really have "no clue" or you just assume they don't because you don't like driving with tailgate open?
I’ve told a few drivers their tailgate is open at traffic lights and they rush out to close them, so I’m assuming they have no idea. I’ve left mine open twice now and only realized it was open when I went to back into my parking spot. Luckily I don’t keep much in the bed so I haven’t lost any cargo yet.

Undaground

Reaction score
Reviving again sorry, my build sheet states I have the tailgate ajar warning but hasn't worked since I bought the truck. I do have alpha obd and obdlink. Anyone have the procedure or where it would be in alfa? Did leave the tailgate open a few times and thank goodness someone let me know on the road. Thanks.

Nstoolman1

Reaction score
Reviving again sorry, my build sheet states I have the tailgate ajar warning but hasn't worked since I bought the truck. I do have alpha obd and obdlink. Anyone have the procedure or where it would be in alfa? Did leave the tailgate open a few times and thank goodness someone let me know on the road. Thanks.
Try here. There are a lot of pages but worth the read.

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
@undergournd
I was able to find the procedure using a bypass cable and Alpha OBD . I was able to successfully turn on my bed lights and tailgate open warning. My build sheet also indicated I had the feature. Once I figured out how to use the software and get my bypass cable installed it was about a 10-minute process. Make sure that you save a backup copy of the Factory Settings (current settings of the (BCM) Body Control Module prior to making any changes that you can undo if needed.)
I now have a functional tailgate warning and my bed lights come on when I open my tailgate.
I'm not sure what board I found the instructions on as I am a member of several Ram Truck-focused msg bases.

BlueHemi1500

Hez

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread