5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear tail light replacement

nilidool

Reaction score
So, I was walking back to my truck today and noticed my tail light had a small hole near the bottom. No other damage is visible and no idea how it happened. Is it possible to replace just the lens cover or do I need the whole light assembly.

I did a little bit of searching and I think I found the correct unit ( if I need to replace the whole thing). Can someone confirm the part number needed? I think it is 55112990AC but Id like to confirm this before I buy one. I'm hoping I can just leave the lens though and not pay a ton of

2019 Laramie 1500
LED with blind spot indicators

d0c6fa86f9b19739861a7c3b012cf0dc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't believe you can buy just the lens. You may be able to find a damaged tail light from a junkyard or something and remove the lens to swap it, but I don't think it would be easy to get apart. They are generally glued together and need to be heated to soften the adhesive and pried apart.

nilidool

Reaction score
So I just asked a friend that does auto body and he told me to talk with the dealer since the blind spot indicators probably needs to be calibrated. What?!!!

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I just asked a friend that does auto body and he told me to talk with the dealer since the blind spot indicators probably needs to be calibrated. What?!!!

I didn't do anything other than swap out the tail lamp assembly and everything works as before.

nilidool

Reaction score
Kinda what I figured. I'll need to order one tonight and do that. Gotta find a good site to order from. Any suggestions?I'm seeing them for about $420 right now.

nilidool

Reaction score
Crap! Just to be safe, I thought I'd confirm with my local dealer about cost and part number needed. Glad I did! I did not have the correct part number. After entering the last 8 of my VIN he gave me p/n 68262530ah. Glad I didn't just order the other one I thought was correct. Pissed this one costs a bit more though. Looks like $550ish for this one.

nilidool

Reaction score
So, I've been busy and dealing with a bunch of other crap lately and other expenses so I never ordered this. Today a warning came on my dash that my right rear light needs to be replaced. My signal started blinking fast too. So, now I look online and prices are over $600 when before they were < $550. Anyone know of a site with a good price or a coupon code so I can save a little cash? So pissed I have no idea how this broke.

nilidool

Reaction score
What upgrade? He has LED tail lights already. Most aftermarket LED kits I've seen are for non-LED trucks.

I would if I didn't have the blind spot sensors....

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I would if I didn't have the blind spot sensors....

There are actually two ways to look at what is meant by "upgrade", and I guess I should have been more specific. I was just saying that you have nothing to upgrade to since you have factory LED's. But I can see how you might think that going to an aftermarket LED tail light would also be an upgrade. Personally I really like the factory LED tail lights, especially the blacked out lights on my Limited. So I don't really think of any aftermarket lights as upgrading unless you have the factory incandescent tail lights, like those that come on the base Big Horn or Tradesman models.

Benny_Cooper

Reaction score
To celebrate the launch of modifystreet.com, we will be running a 10% off discount for 2 weeks on headlights and racing seats.

Here's the code: launch10off

Don't miss it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online