5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear spacers or Air bags decision?

Nels

Reaction score
I have a 2" front level to allow room for larger tires and because I didn't like how low to the ground the front was. It looks and drives great, except when I pull a medium to heavy load. When starting level it doesn't take much for the rear sag to make me nose high. I'm trying to decide between adding a 1" spacer in the rear, which would give me an inch of rake all the time, or to install Air Lift 1000 airbags to counteract the sag when towing but leave the truck level all other times. Or I may even want to do both? I'm just not sure I want to add the rake back to the truck, but maybe I'll like the rake more now that the front is lifted with the leveling kit? Anyone have thoughts and/or experience with this? It would be helpful if anyone has pics of their truck with a 2 inch lift in front and 1 inch in the rear. I am imagining it may look something like the mopar 2" lift when done?

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I’d do the airbags personally. No point ruining the looks 100% of the time just for the small amount of time you’re towing a trailer lol

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is 2/1 on a Rebel so really a 3/2, but I ended up with 1" of rake. These trucks seemed to look really nose high with a true level and I preferred this look. No one else can even tell it's not leveled.
1651495258766.png

Nels

Reaction score
I’d do the airbags personally. No point ruining the looks 100% of the time just for the small amount of time you’re towing a trailer lol
Yes I've had similar thoughts. Thanks for sharong yours.

Nels

Reaction score
This is 2/1 on a Rebel so really a 3/2, but I ended up with 1" of rake. These trucks seemed to look really nose high with a true level and I preferred this look. No one else can even tell it's not leveled.
View attachment 128363
Thank you! This helps a lot. I have a Laramie with the sport hood (same as Rebel?), which sometimes can make it look nose high. Comparing to the look of a Rebel is even more helpful than with a regular hood.

Nels

Reaction score
This is how she looks now. Adding 1" of rake may not look too bad?

Attachments

• 20210502_115846.jpg
    20210502_115846.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 33

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is how she looks now. Adding 1" of rake may not look too bad?
That doesn't look as bad as mine did. I still have air bags because I regularly have heavy payloads, and with our coil springs we seem to sag with even 400 pounds in the bed.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Haha you guys are over here worrying about it looking nose high with a true level & im over here with my front end 1.5” higher than the rear lol ECE17A81-4E15-444C-86BF-2FB42F7C6772.jpeg

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Haha you guys are over here worrying about it looking nose high with a true level & im over here with my front end 1.5” higher than the rear lol View attachment 128366
Yeah and, personal opinion here, I hate that look. 1, I think it looks terrible. 2, you can't see over the already large hood on this truck. And 3, your headlights just F everyone else even if you have them aimed properly because they're already sitting high. It's your truck, you do you, it looks great otherwise, but I can't stand the lean.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah and, personal opinion here, I hate that look. 1, I think it looks terrible. 2, you can't see over the already large hood on this truck. And 3, your headlights just F everyone else even if you have them aimed properly because they're already sitting high. It's your truck, you do you, it looks great otherwise, but I can't stand the lean.
Haha sheesh tough crowd. I like the look so I’m happy. It doesn’t make the hood look any larger. I’ve driven the truck with almost 3 inches of rake, level, and 2.5” nose high and the difference in the hood appearance is basically non existent. And my headlights don’t blind anyone after I adjusted them. Literally have never gotten flashed at once since adjusting them. Got flashed at more when my truck was bone stock than I do now.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Haha sheesh tough crowd. I like the look so I’m happy. It doesn’t make the hood look any larger. I’ve driven the truck with almost 3 inches of rake, level, and 2.5” nose high and the difference in the hood appearance is basically non existent. And my headlights don’t blind anyone after I adjusted them. Literally have never gotten flashed at once since adjusting them. Got flashed at more when my truck was bone stock than I do now.
Like I said, it's personal opinion. I know there are plenty of people that love the look you have, and there are plenty of people that hate the look I have. It's your truck, do what makes you happy unless it makes it unsafe for others.

Nels

Reaction score
That doesn't look as bad as mine did. I still have air bags because I regularly have heavy payloads, and with our coil springs we seem to sag with even 400 pounds in the bed.
I dont carry heavy payloads often but I certainly want to be able to. I'm thinking adding the 1" lift in the rear may bring it close to level when adding a load. That might not even be enough though. Might sag more than an inch. So it crossed my mind to install the Airlift airbags inside the springs while I have them out to install the spacers. Seems like the perfect time to do it if I'm going to.

Users who are viewing this thread