5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear Resonator Delete

2020Laramie

Reaction score
Anyone have stock muffler with just a rear resonator delete ? Looking for feedback/reviews

was thinking about installing the flowmaster american thunder axleback with the 4.5” tips

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don’t have a stock muffler anymore, I have the magnaflow 14”, it’s the bolt on kit made by B2Fabrication. Love it. The problem I found that I think you will also, is that when you add an aftermarket muffler is that the MDS gets super annoying when it comes on. I didn’t even realize just how annoying it was until I cut out the resonators. So much cleaner sounding now. My recommendation to people would be the following: either leave it totally stock or if you’re going to modify it, whether you choose to go mild or aggressive, either go full catback without resonators or a muffler swap with resonator delete. My two cents.

Reaction score
I don’t have a stock muffler anymore, I have the magnaflow 14”, it’s the bolt on kit made by B2Fabrication. Love it. The problem I found that I think you will also, is that when you add an aftermarket muffler is that the MDS gets super annoying when it comes on. I didn’t even realize just how annoying it was until I cut out the resonators. So much cleaner sounding now. My recommendation to people would be the following: either leave it totally stock or if you’re going to modify it, whether you choose to go mild or aggressive, either go full catback without resonators or a muffler swap with resonator delete. My two cents.

Any pictures of the resonator delete installed? Or pictures of the SS tips? Matt is suppose to having some black powdercoated 5” tips coming soon, so I think I might hold off until that happens.

Any videos yet?

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Do you like the look of the bigger tips ? Stainless steel look aside. Also do you like the S/S or would you rather have black now that they are on?

I definitely like the bigger tips better. I think I will need time to decide on SS vs Black. I’ve always had SS so when I got the black I really enjoyed the change. Part of the reason was because it drives me crazy trying to keep them clean and the black ones still look good when dirty. I feel the same way about wheels. But having everything dark gets boring and monochromatic after a while and it’s nice to offset things here and there so the SS is a nice change for now. Obviously all very subjective. The cool thing about these bolt on kits vs some of the catbacks with welded tips is they are so easy and quick to change that you can rotate between them if you wanted to!

Bluelinebuild

Reaction score

So your saying it actually sounds better and the MDS is less noticeable deleting the resonators?. I assumed they would help reduce all that sound but if your saying deleting them actually helps I may be doing that as I also have the B2 fab setup.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
So your saying it actually sounds better and the MDS is less noticeable deleting the resonators?. I assumed they would help reduce all that sound but if your saying deleting them actually helps I may be doing that as I also have the B2 fab setup.

In my opinion, it helps the MDS sound and makes it better by 1000%. Again, in my opinion, that is the most annoying part of the “drone” associated with this particular setup. Of course all of this is subjective but for my ears, once you go aftermarket muffler, the resonators only create issues and annoying noise. This setup does not create the type of “loud in cab drone” that the aggressive systems do but again, that is highly subjective. What isn’t as subjective though is removing the resonators cleans up the MDS related sound. I guess as an in between what some members have done is plug the weep holes in the resonators with some jb weld (or actually had them welded) but that may eventually (?) lead to the resonators rusting but I’m not sure how that’s any different from having straight tailpipes since now I don’t have any weep holes either...All I can say is having taken this in steps and not being someone who likes “loud exhausts” I am very happy with where I’m at now.

Reaction score
Question.

My @B2 Fabrication pipes have rusted, even though the 409 is the same pipe as the factory. Has anyone else had this problem? The B2 setup has 5000km less on it then the rest of the trucks exhaust system. I‘m pretty sure it’s just surface rust being 409 stainless steel which is still susceptible of surface rust.

I’m more curious then anything, as the surface just looks like crap. As long as my pipe doesn’t rust thru which I highly doubt. Muffler has been on for about 8 months, truck was under coated sometime in October. Muffler installed in August.

If you see the pictures of the factory muffler and the B2 piping that is completely covered. I just hope this doesn’t happen with the resonator delete, but I’m thinking about spraying the pipes with black rust paint before I install to try to prevent this from happening.

Not bashing his products or anything as I am still purchasing the resonator delete and black 5” tips. I know 409 will still get surface rust, but I figured it wouldn’t have formed this bad this quick. Especially since the factory piping has yet to form an rust really.

Attachments

• DA07FD04-97B1-4B98-BE4A-B2DE7369B7A8.jpeg
    DA07FD04-97B1-4B98-BE4A-B2DE7369B7A8.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 144
  • 595C5177-8E6A-419F-95AA-76D63F367166.png
    595C5177-8E6A-419F-95AA-76D63F367166.png
    594.7 KB · Views: 144
  • 8C13272B-4374-4098-A5C4-FAB866377AE0.jpeg
    8C13272B-4374-4098-A5C4-FAB866377AE0.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 140
Reaction score
Also I know other systems do this as well, for example a big company like MBRP that also uses the 409 stainless.

I’m just surprised at the short time frame it took.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Also I know other systems do this as well, for example a big company like MBRP that also uses the 409 stainless.

The rust is inevitable. Depending on your climate it will be accelerated. It’s just surface rust. They will mall do it.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I have the flowmaster deletes since they were the only ones out at the time. They look the same way. No issues with it tho otherwise

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the flowmaster deletes since they were the only ones out at the time. They look the same way. No issues with it tho otherwise
Also guys FYI use the gear up/down buttons on the steering wheel to lock out mds if you don’t like it. Set your gear to “8” and it’ll shift like normal but mds will never kick on. I do this every time I drive

Reaction score
The rust is inevitable. Depending on your climate it will be accelerated. It’s just surface rust. They will mall do it.

Yeah I know the rust is inevitable, it’s not high grade stainless like T304 or T316 etc... I’m just more surprised at how accelerated this pipe has rusted compared to the factory stuff. Considering that are both T409 stainless steel I would have expected them to rust in the same timeline. If you look at my pictures my factory piping hasn’t even formed any rust so when I got under my truck and seen this I was a bit surprised.

I’m not concerned about it as I said, I know it’s just a surface rust and would take years before it should rust through if it does at all. I won’t have the truck by the time this exhaust is really bad. I was more curious as to what others have experienced.

I plan on sanding the muffler piping down and then getting some high-temp rustoleum BBQ paint to cover this up, may even go as far as to paint the factory system from to back. I also plan on spraying the resontor delete kit as soon as I get it, I’m just waiting for Matt to send me the invoice so I can pay. Then I will maybe be the first person to get the black tips..

I think painting the delete kit black will flow nicely with the black exhaust tips.

Reaction score

Yeah and I wouldn’t except any issues with mine either. T409 stainless isn’t top of the line, but the good thing is if your not worried about what it looks like then 409 is more economical. If I had a show car I would more definitely would want T304 or better for my exhaust system. The main thing is even if it looks like crap (T409) when it rust, the more important thing is that it would take YEARS to rust through and that really too me is what matters on a daily driver.

I‘m going to paint the stuff with some high temp black BBQ paint to clean it up a little. The muffler portion I will paint black and I might even do the full exhaust. I’m more inclined to make sure I do the resonator deletes since you might see that pipe more then you would the exhaust pipe. Then again I don’t see my resonator unless I looking under my truck and the resonator delete pipe is far small then those resonator.

UNKALJ

Reaction score
In my opinion, it helps the MDS sound and makes it better by 1000%. Again, in my opinion, that is the most annoying part of the “drone” associated with this particular setup. Of course all of this is subjective but for my ears, once you go aftermarket muffler, the resonators only create issues and annoying noise. This setup does not create the type of “loud in cab drone” that the aggressive systems do but again, that is highly subjective. What isn’t as subjective though is removing the resonators cleans up the MDS related sound. I guess as an in between what some members have done is plug the weep holes in the resonators with some jb weld (or actually had them welded) but that may eventually (?) lead to the resonators rusting but I’m not sure how that’s any different from having straight tailpipes since now I don’t have any weep holes either...All I can say is having taken this in steps and not being someone who likes “loud exhausts” I am very happy with where I’m at now.

Any chance you have a sound clip with the resonators gone? I've installed the 14" Magnaflow few months back and not happy with the sound at all. Similar sound as others reported, exhaust leak, paper bag, etc.. Reading through the forum here it seems a resonator delete may be in order. I had the same exhaust on my 2016 and sounded completely different than my now 2020.

silver rebel

Reaction score
Just did the same to my rebel sounds great no drone

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/