5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear Passenger Seat Won’t Recline

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I took my truck in today and showed the service advisor that the issue (for mine) was at the top of the seat back, where it latches to the strike/slide bar. The latch had literally dug into the metal of the slide bar, creating a 'detent' that won't let the seat slide. This is exactly the same for both rear seats.

It makes me wonder if (A) somebody was REALLY aggressive putting these seats in, or (B) the latch is so roughly manufactured that it 'ate' the slide bar where clamped on.

Either way, two new slide bars are on special order...

GreyGoat

Reaction score
SpeedyV, thank you for the update. I just dropped mine off as well this morning. I'll be sure to share what they come up with.

GreyGoat

Reaction score
My service advisor just called and said that the track the back of the seat slides in had burrs in it preventing the seats to slide freely down the channel. They are grinding it smooth again and ordering new parts that won't be available until Oct. Sounds like the same situation as you discovered.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My service advisor just called and said that the track the back of the seat slides in had burrs in it preventing the seats to slide freely down the channel. They are grinding it smooth again and ordering new parts that won't be available until Oct. Sounds like the same situation as you discovered.
Exactly the same!

GreyGoat

Reaction score
Exactly the same!
Well I got the truck back on Friday and the bench behind the driver side still doesn't recline, but the longer bench behind the passenger side does. I guess I'll just wait until the new rails come in and try again.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well I got the truck back on Friday and the bench behind the driver side still doesn't recline, but the longer bench behind the passenger side does. I guess I'll just wait until the new rails come in and try again.
My service advisor told me that they're expecting to receive them around 10/8.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
FYI - the replacement rails have now been delayed to 10/22, according to my service advisor.

SDforOU

Reaction score
I had the exact same problem and fixed it. Mine had nothing to do with the tracks, or cable. I simply reached my hand behind the seat back and pulled on the little release string. The seat back will then release and you will see the hook where the seat back attaches. There was a slight indention in mine and very little grease. I lightly sanded the hook and put grease on. Pushed the seat back into place and made sure it latched. It started reclining right away. The dealer really had know clue.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had the exact same problem and fixed it. Mine had nothing to do with the tracks, or cable. I simply reached my hand behind the seat back and pulled on the little release string. The seat back will then release and you will see the hook where the seat back attaches. There was a slight indention in mine and very little grease. I lightly sanded the hook and put grease on. Pushed the seat back into place and made sure it latched. It started reclining right away. The dealer really had know clue.
That's exactly the part we're talking about (the little vertical slide rails). Our dealers (mine and @GreyGoat's) have ordered new rails to install. Mine had plenty of grease, but the indentation is pretty bad, creating a detent that holds each rear seat in place. If you release the seat with the cable and recline it a bit, you can slide it on that rail just fine...until you return it to the top and it catches on that detent.

I just can't figure out how those rails got eaten up so bad. Are the latches on the backs of the seats that rough/sharp? Did somebody slam the heck out of those seats at the factory? Are the rails made of a material that's too soft? Just seems strange.

Let us know if the seats continue to work well for you, or if the latches continue to wear down that spot on the rails.

SDforOU

Reaction score
Gotcha. Maybe mine was not that bad. I just used file for a few minutes to remove the bad spot. I did use wheel bearing greese on it instead of what looked like white lithium. I didn't however see a way to remove the rail incase I needed to, but I didn't look that close once it started working.

GreyGoat

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with the dealer. ETA on replacement rails is now "end of Oct". So the wait continues for parts...

Han Ridge

Reaction score
My dealer ordered a seat frame over 30 days ago. On Wednesday I called Ram and they said someone would call to opened a ticket and expedite the part, no one has called. Yesterday I was looking at the seat and flipped the center bin down and was able to get my hand behind the seat back. I moved some of the straps and cables around, when I tried the seat again it worked. Something was catching on the seat back preventing it from moving forward.

GreyGoat

Reaction score
That's exactly the part we're talking about (the little vertical slide rails). Our dealers (mine and @GreyGoat's) have ordered new rails to install. Mine had plenty of grease, but the indentation is pretty bad, creating a detent that holds each rear seat in place. If you release the seat with the cable and recline it a bit, you can slide it on that rail just fine...until you return it to the top and it catches on that detent.

I just can't figure out how those rails got eaten up so bad. Are the latches on the backs of the seats that rough/sharp? Did somebody slam the heck out of those seats at the factory? Are the rails made of a material that's too soft? Just seems strange.

Let us know if the seats continue to work well for you, or if the latches continue to wear down that spot on the rails.
Dealer called yesterday and said my rails are in. I'll be taking the truck on Monday to get them installed.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine too...going in Tuesday for those and the H/K amp update.
Discovered today that the dealership lied to me about the fix. They did correct the passenger side, but they left the driver's side seat back unlatched from the rail so that it would appear to slide. When I noticed it rattling today, I latched the seat back...and it doesn't slide.

The failure to complete such a simple repair (and not be forthcoming about it) does not inspire confidence for future service with this dealership.

Han Ridge

Reaction score
Discovered today that the dealership lied to me about the fix. They did correct the passenger side, but they left the driver's side seat back unlatched from the rail so that it would appear to slide. When I noticed it rattling today, I latched the seat back...and it doesn't slide.

The failure to complete such a simple repair (and not be forthcoming about it) does not inspire confidence for future service with this dealership.

I have owned vehicles from a variety of manufacturers and I have to say I am not impressed dodge dealerships. They have poor customer relations after the sale.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

That stinks. There's no way you can get it working? I get if the top rail had a notch in it that it would not slide but aside from that the system is pretty simple.
And I always love an alternative to another trip to the dealer.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It looks like the seat back slide is vertical and the seat cushion slides forward. The mechanical leverage creates a huge downard force and if it jams up, it would no doubt create a deformation. I'm going to make sure mine stay well greased. I wonder if polishing the contacting surfaces with a Dremel would help?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It looks like the seat back slide is vertical and the seat cushion slides forward. The mechanical leverage creates a huge downard force and if it jams up, it would no doubt create a deformation. I'm going to make sure mine stay well greased. I wonder if polishing the contacting surfaces with a Dremel would help?
The seat back slide is vertical (at a slight angle). It appears that the latch (attached to the seat back) is very tight and roughly machined, so it grabs the slide bar (which is greased) and cuts detents into it that prevent movement. Any attempted movement just digs in further. Seems like the latch would need replacement (or adjustment/finishing) along with the slide bar. Unfortunately, it took the dealer 2 months to get the slide bars in last time around.

Users who are viewing this thread