5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear Passenger Seat Won’t Recline

Dustin

IT Geek, Adventure Junkie
Reaction score
I have a Laramie with the reclining rear seats. The drivers side rear seat reclines fine. However, the passenger side will not recline. I pull the handle up and it starts to slide forward, but it's like something is in the way (or not disengaging) to let the seat move forward.

I thought I’d check so see if anyone has any ideas on what I can check before taking it in to the dealer.

Last edited:

SoCal Truck

Reaction score
I have a Laramie with the reclining rear seats. The drivers side rear seat reclines fine. However, the passenger side will not recline. I pull the handle up and it starts to slide forward, but it's like something is in the way (or not disengaging) to let the seat move forward.

I thought I’d check so see if anyone has any ideas on what I can check before taking it in to the dealer.
I went to test drive a Limited and the one behind the Drivers seat got stuck as well. Exactly what you are describing. I'm sure it is an easy fix.

BobVance

Reaction score
My rear left won’t recline - the right portion does. From what I can tell, the latch on the side that won’t reclined doesn’t catch when I pull on it. Like the side that works has more ‘pull’ when I engage it, funky side doesn’t have the same feel

Jimmyk

Reaction score
There is a cable attached to the handle that has probably come off. I had the same problem and it was an easy fix. The plastic piece around the handle pops off for easy access.

jerry

Reaction score
Same on my Longhorn, just reattached the cable.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fellow members, I need your help on this one. Neither of my rear seats reclines. In both cases, when I pull on the latch, the seat 'releases' to begin the recline. But then it stops, as if it is zip-tied in place. All of the cables underneath appear to be properly attached. Both seats behave exactly the same way.

At first, I suspected that the seat belt buckles were prohibiting movement, as they have very little play. But no, this is even more restrictive than that, and it really doesn't explain why the behavior is identical for both seats. Again, I can get them to release from the locked position, but they can only slide ahead by a very small amount. They feel like they are strapped into place from behind.

Any ideas? Any diagrams that you can share of the assembly, particularly behind the seats? Thanks in advance. I'll take this to the dealer if necessary, but I feel like there must be something simple responsible for the behavior.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fellow members, I need your help on this one. Neither of my rear seats reclines. In both cases, when I pull on the latch, the seat 'releases' to begin the recline. But then it stops, as if it is zip-tied in place. All of the cables underneath appear to be properly attached. Both seats behave exactly the same way.

At first, I suspected that the seat belt buckles were prohibiting movement, as they have very little play. But no, this is even more restrictive than that, and it really doesn't explain why the behavior is identical for both seats. Again, I can get them to release from the locked position, but they can only slide ahead by a very small amount. They feel like they are strapped into place from behind.

Any ideas? Any diagrams that you can share of the assembly, particularly behind the seats? Thanks in advance. I'll take this to the dealer if necessary, but I feel like there must be something simple responsible for the behavior.
Could it be as simple as a tension adjustment? Are the nuts that I can see on the seat track sliders used to provide tension for the recline function? I'm hoping it's that easy!

Dustin

IT Geek, Adventure Junkie
Reaction score

That is exactly what my passenger side is doing. I lifted the seat up and then pulled the lever and can see the cables on both sides release at the track and it starts to slide forward, then, like you said, it is as if something stops it from behind. I haven't had time to take it to the dealer yet (daughter's wedding this Friday).

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone out there with a Tech Authority subscription? I'd like to see a diagram of the rear seat slider assembly.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone out there with a Tech Authority subscription? I'd like to see a diagram of the rear seat slider assembly.
Hey @I Love Grits are you tracking this weird rear seat recline behavior? Any diagrams that might point to what is sticking in there? (Maybe it IS zip ties?!)

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the tag @YoAdrian I haven't been checking threads recently.

Looks like there is one main release cable (yellow circle) that runs from the handle to a junction box (red circle) where it is split into two cables that run to either side of the seat to release the latching mechanisms (white circles).

1536699585920-png.4515

Closer look at the latching mechanism:

1536699702457-png.4516

See attached service manual info for your reference.

Attachments

• Reclining Mechanism - Removal and Installation.pdf
    198.9 KB · Views: 85
  • Release Cable - Removal and Installation - 40% Recline Seat.pdf
    213.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Release Cable - Removal and Installation - 60% Recline Seat.pdf
    271 KB · Views: 57

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the tag @YoAdrian I haven't been checking threads recently.

Looks like there is one main release cable (yellow circle) that runs from the handle to a junction box (red circle) where it is split into two cables that run to either side of the seat to release the latching mechanisms (white circles).

1536699585920-png.4515

Closer look at the latching mechanism:

1536699702457-png.4516

See attached service manual info for your reference.
Maybe the cables aren’t connected right at the two latching points? Is that what you’re thinking @SpeedyV ? Thanks @I Love Grits !

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe the cables aren’t connected right at the two latching points? Is that what you’re thinking @SpeedyV ? Thanks @I Love Grits !
Nah, cables are functioning correctly...latches release. The seats (both sides) just can't slide forward more than 1/2" before they stop (not lock, but don't allow further movement). So I am hypothesizing that the pivot bolt (that connects the upper and lower seat sections) is too tight to allow rotation, which would explain why it can't slide forward.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm back from vacation and did a bit of quick testing on those rear seats. Using the tip from @syddog 2000 in his post in the subwoofer thread, I released my seat backs and tilted them forward. With them detached from the rear of the cab, I was able to recline both seats easily. So the problem (in my case) is that the catches at the top of my seat backs are "grabbing" the slide bar way too tightly, digging into that bar instead of allowing the seat to slide. I'll either look at adjusting those catches or letting the warranty guys replace them.

GreyGoat

Reaction score
Has anyone taken their trucks back for warranty on this issue? If so, how was it resolved? I notice my 4 day old truck has the same issue. Neither side will recline...

Han Ridge

Reaction score
My Left Side will not Recline. I took the truck in last Thursday for that and other issues. They ordered a seat frame and will let me know when the part comes in.

Users who are viewing this thread