5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dropped5thgen

Reaction score
I’m hoping someone might have some info for me. I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Sport w/4x4. I’m currently on a 3/5 IHC drop. The rear shocks for this kit are terrible in my opinion and I’m looking to upgrade.

I would love to get my hands one some Viking double adjustable shocks but from what I’ve found they don’t have any that fit the 5thgens.

I’ve talked to Matt from moes performance and he hasn’t gotten back to me with any answers.

If I can’t go the Viking route what rear shocks do you all recommend for my truck with the 3/5 drop? I’m running the air lifter helper bags too which help a lot in the rear.

Thanks

1lowcab

Reaction score
A question for you. You say you have a 4x4 and are running the IHC 3/5? How did they do the front drop? Did they use the front lower control arms to get that drop?

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would assume I’d have to remove the shock adapters that came with the lowering kit for those shocks to work?
Yes you have to remove the adapters if you do the 5100s I did. Since you already have the adapters from the kit, you can run a 4th gen rear shock like a Viking or a QA1 as your kit allows them to mount like a 4th gen.

dropped5thgen

Reaction score
A question for you. You say you have a 4x4 and are running the IHC 3/5? How did they do the front drop? Did they use the front lower control arms to get that drop?
Yes sir! They get the drop from the lower control arms. I have stock struts in the front as of right now. Going with the Maxtrac lowering struts once I get new rear shocks.

dropped5thgen

Reaction score
Yes you have to remove the adapters if you do the 5100s I did. Since you already have the adapters from the kit, you can run a 4th gen rear shock like a Viking or a QA1 as your kit allows them to mount like a 4th gen.
Do you have a part number for the Viking or QA1? From my understanding the smooth body Viking shocks hit the relocation brackets…

1lowcab

Reaction score
Yes sir! They get the drop from the lower control arms. I have stock struts in the front as of right now. Going with the Maxtrac lowering struts once I get new rear shocks.
Why are you going with the Maxtrac front struts if you already have the IHC on the front?

1lowcab

Reaction score
Gotcha!

Can you post some pics of the underneath of the front of your truck?
I'd like to see the angles of the tierods, cv axles and balljoints vs my 2/4 drop.

dropped5thgen

Reaction score
Gotcha!

Can you post some pics of the underneath of the front of your truck?
I'd like to see the angles of the tierods, cv axles and balljoints vs my 2/4 drop.
I’ll try and get some later in the week! I live in Canada so roads are full of salt and snow lol. Supposed to be high 40s by Wednesday so snow should be melting.

dropped5thgen

Reaction score
Alrighty guys.. I figured I’d update this thread since I’m almost done with the suspension on my truck.

Rear lowering shocks that work for 3/5 or 4/6 lowering kit on the 5thgen will be the QA1 stocker star double adjustable shocks. Part number is TD709. The shocks come with 3/4” eyelets for the bushing but will need the 5/8” eyelets if your using the stock bolts.

So far the truck is sitting at a 4/6 drop.
I originally bought the 3/5 IHC lowering kit then swapped the stock struts to Maxtrac adjustable lowering struts, set at 1” of drop.

The only thing left for me to finish up on the suspension is core4x4 rear lowering sway bar end links, and hellwing sway bar.

Maybe some after market front sway bar end links but I’ve had no luck in finding any for the 5thgens. The stock ones need replacement.

Hope this helps someone out and the truck rides like a Cadillac now!

Attachments

• D6EBA797-9FBF-4D41-9159-AE36959AF770.jpeg
    D6EBA797-9FBF-4D41-9159-AE36959AF770.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 27

1lowcab

Reaction score
Alrighty guys.. I figured I’d update this thread since I’m almost done with the suspension on my truck.

Rear lowering shocks that work for 3/5 or 4/6 lowering kit on the 5thgen will be the QA1 stocker star double adjustable shocks. Part number is TD709. The shocks come with 3/4” eyelets for the bushing but will need the 5/8” eyelets if your using the stock bolts.

I originally bought the 3/5 IHC lowering kit then swapped the stock struts to Maxtrac adjustable lowering struts, set at 1” of drop.

The only thing left for me to finish up on the suspension is core4x4 rear lowering sway bar end links, and hellwing sway bar.

Maybe some after market front sway bar end links but I’ve had no luck in finding any for the 5thgens. The stock ones need replacement.

Thanks for the update!

1LowTrk

Reaction score
Question for Dropped5thgen, do you recommend the QA1 TD709 rears for guys with 4-corner suspensions w/ revel links. I’ve removed the bump stops and added much shorter ones (BellTech 4922). Now, my shocks are bottoming out and I’m willing to bet money added shorter shock may solve my problem. The truck looks and drives great… till you hit a small bump or go over some railroad tracks.

Attachments

• Entry:Exit (1).jpg
    Entry:Exit (1).jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 32

dropped5thgen

Reaction score
Question for Dropped5thgen, do you recommend the QA1 TD709 rears for guys with 4-corner suspensions w/ revel links. I’ve removed the bump stops and added much shorter ones (BellTech 4922). Now, my shocks are bottoming out and I’m willing to bet money added shorter shock may solve my problem. The truck looks and drives great… till you hit a small bump or go over some railroad tracks.
What’s your suspension setup??
I was originally at a 3/5 IHC and I’m now sitting at 4/6 drop.
I’m running the IHC cut kit relocation brackets and completely removed my rear bump stops.
By the sounds of your situation I think shorter shocks will help.
I do recommend the TD709 from QA1 but I would measure to make sure they will work 100% for you.

MistaBain

Reaction score

Thanks for the info huge help! Hey don’t want to go lower but do you happen to know the part # of the qa1 strut? Planning on changing shocks and struts with the install. I’ve emailed them and still waiting on a reply.

Users who are viewing this thread