5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear lift spring question

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As long as it's not over 1" you're fine. Go more than that and you're going to mess up your shocks if you have too much down travel.

Not gunna lie, I'm happy to hear that!
If I can fit 3/4in of rear spacer, I might then do that to keep rake and go up to big tires!

I asked Falcon about what tires I can fit and if I can use a rear spacer, they more or less said, "hey do some test fits on your end and see what you get." That's not the wording they used, but they didn't offhand have exacts for either max tire sizes vs settings for the Rams, or spacer usage on the rears. (Note: they got back to me quickly, I was pleased with the C/S overall!)

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Shouldn't be a problem at all.
How you liking the Falcon shocks?

Man I like them! In one or two of the threads here I've got some really long posts but. Trying to condense them all into one:
- I'm not someone who was looking for a "level" truck as I need to haul some payload regularly. HOWEVER I felt the rake was a little much on the stock Rebel after the factory shocks had worn in. (My rebel at the "remote reservoir" bilstiens.) I had an air suspension on my last rebel, and REALLY liked how it could level a payload and control it over bumps. I was weary of longevity of the system, as I never intend on selling the truck.
- In terms of stock ride, I was getting tired of body-roll, and how the truck would "wallow" into choppy bumps, and bottom out over larger ones.
- I also wanted to consider the idea of upsizing the tires one day.

I got the falcons and run them on the "medium" setting, I netted about 3/4in to 7/8in after they settled in. That is front lift, they didn't lift the rear.
Build quality wise they look amazing when you unbox them. Wow. "hardware" is right! The 4x4 shop was impressed with them. I know we split hairs about what shocks measure, and understandably so, but the shocks are beefy, very beefy.

I liked the change to ride quality, the word is "planted." You go over bumps? It tracks straight like a train on tracks. Corner? Less body roll.
And for payload, I've had I'd say 1k in the bed, keeping rake was smart - yes it did sag. BUT, Going over train tracks at 35? truck didn't move or "porpoise" and I'm pretty f'in sure I wasn't on the bumpstops.
Would I get them again? Honestly I think so.

HOWEVER, do I believe the level setting will be 100% level? Honestly I kinda don't think so.

Part of me wants to see If I can sell these Toyos with miles on them, then level the front, see if a rear spacer works, put skinny 34.8s on the truck, and have a "perfect" setup.
I'd have rake, payload control adjusting rear knobs, beefy shocks, and big tires.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I can fit 3/4in of rear spacer, I might then do that to keep rake and go up to big tires!

I asked Falcon about what tires I can fit and if I can use a rear spacer, they more or less said, "hey do some test fits on your end and see what you get." That's not the wording they used, but they didn't offhand have exacts for either max tire sizes vs settings for the Rams, or spacer usage on the rears. (Note: they got back to me quickly, I was pleased with the C/S overall!)
You'll easily fit 35's in the rear with less than 1". I have a total of 1" from my timber groves and the 1/2" spacer, and there's plenty of wheel gap.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score

A good way to see how much you can lift and not have to worry about damaging the rear shocks is to remove the bottom bolt and see how many inches the shaft moves down from where it was bolted.

My opinion, if it's anything above 4-5 inches you should be good. If it's less, then you risk the chance of extending the shock to it's max and not having anymore down travel, "loosing contact of the road". Truthfully that would only happen when off-roading though, daily driving you should be good. I know they make shock extensions to get the shock riding more towards the middle so you have max travel both ways.

rescueninja

Reaction score
I bought those and run 1 on the driver side to level out the lean on the truck. Been running it for over 10k miles zero issues.
They say they’re only good for up to a 2018. They worked fine for you though? I’ve got Bikstein 6112 up from set at top perch (2.6in) and I’ve got the Icon 1.5 coils in the rear with Bilstein 5160s. The Icon springs give less than 1.5in of lift over stock. Once I add on my bed rack and RTT I have zero room for any camping gear without sitting nose high. I absolutely hate that. I’m thinking of adding some spacers to account for the less than advertised lift of the Icons. I wish someone just made a 2inch lift spring for our trucks. Ideally I would sit perfectly level once fully loaded down with all my camping gear. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They say they’re only good for up to a 2018. They worked fine for you though? I’ve got Bikstein 6112 up from set at top perch (2.6in) and I’ve got the Icon 1.5 coils in the rear with Bilstein 5160s. The Icon springs give less than 1.5in of lift over stock. Once I add on my bed rack and RTT I have zero room for any camping gear without sitting nose high. I absolutely hate that. I’m thinking of adding some spacers to account for the less than advertised lift of the Icons. I wish someone just made a 2inch lift spring for our trucks. Ideally I would sit perfectly level once fully loaded down with all my camping gear. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Yes from what I've seen our setups are the same as the 4th gen for the rear springs. I think some guy used some Wrangler springs in his to get some more lift for the rear, but I only needed that half inch.

tjcart

Reaction score
Some AirLift 1000's with a few psi in them will lift the truck. At max pressure they lifted mine a good 2".

Sakeo

Reaction score
I installed the Eibach adjustable shocks in my Rebel on the 3rd perch, which lifts it about 1.8”. It made the front of the truck slightly higher than the rear. So I added 1” rear spacers and it made the rear about .5” taller than the front. Which is better but I do plan on swapping over to Clayton’s later down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread