5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear doors flimsy / flap when shutting?

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I noticed on my truck that when I close the rear doors there's a bit of a flutter / flapping when they shut? Almost seems like it could use an extra 'bumper' along the window frame / upper part of the door. The bumpers that are supposed to be there are in place, but I still think the door has a bit too much 'rebound' or play when its shut. Once shut its fine, no rattle or loose-ness.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Check the alignment of the door related to the cab. My passenger-side rear door was flush with the cab, but the driver's side rear door stuck out a bit. It also made a different noise when closing, but I never noticed it rebound or bounce or anything.

After the dealer realigned the door, it shuts with the same sound as the other doors, and is flush with the cab.

-John

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
LimitedGRR - I thought it was just mine! Same exact thing here - once closed there are no issues, but I've looked too and can't see anything wrong or missing. Oh well - not a real big deal for me.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there a cab exhaust flap on the back of the cab? if the doors seal well, you'll hear a 'flapping' - (at least it's true for some hatchbacks/wagons)

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LimitedGRR - I thought it was just mine! Same exact thing here - once closed there are no issues, but I've looked too and can't see anything wrong or missing. Oh well - not a real big deal for me.
maybe it's a reality we have get used to....there are worse things I guess that can be wrong with the trucks!

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there a cab exhaust flap on the back of the cab? if the doors seal well, you'll hear a 'flapping' - (at least it's true for some hatchbacks/wagons)
I'll check, but I don't think so. I can almost see the door shudder a bit when I close with average force or 'throw' it closed. If I close it my hand on the handle there's nothing strange.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check the alignment of the door related to the cab. My passenger-side rear door was flush with the cab, but the driver's side rear door stuck out a bit. It also made a different noise when closing, but I never noticed it rebound or bounce or anything.

After the dealer realigned the door, it shuts with the same sound as the other doors, and is flush with the cab.

-John
I did. Everything is flush. gaps are consistent and I can even see the marks where the weatherstrip is making a complete seal. I'll look at it from the inside tomrw to see if there's any weatherstrip gap from the inside. But I think the door is aligned correctly. Maybe I'll have dealer peak at it when I bring it in for her first oil change in a few weeks.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm going to put some play-doh where the bumpers on the door would impact the frame. I'm curious if the bumpers make solid contact or if the door bounces off the frame and leaves a small gap between bumper and body. Then maybe the door latch/lock catches the door and locks it in place. The Play-doh will tell all.

Sspearsau

Reaction score
Can someone confirm whether or not they door panels are secure across the bottom? I noticed the same type noise when I close all doors but one, and the one that doesn’t, is secure across the bottom.

Basically, can you put your hand in the door pocket and pull it out some? I took a picture of mine. It pulls out with ease and is just loose/flappy.

Attachments

• EABFA406-5D71-4073-BE84-014CF234DC9F.jpeg
    EABFA406-5D71-4073-BE84-014CF234DC9F.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 122

Rototerrier

Reaction score
My rear door sheet metal flutters. I've had 2 19's built about 6 months apart and both have done this. I just assume they didn't put enough support on the inside. Will be interesting to see the long term affects of this. I also have a bit of fluttering on the hood when the dryer blowers hit it at the car wash. Doesn't do it on the highway, so I've not been too concerned about that either.

But, I wouldn't be surprised if, someday, we all end up with cracks in the paint on our hoods and our doors.

MrAndrewArnold

Reaction score
I don't use the rear doors often, but I just noticed this as well the other day. Definitely, some flimsy rear doors, used to the German car "thud" when shutting doors.

shaveman

Reaction score
My rear doors do the same thing. Doesn't sound like it is a solid closure, and I always catch myself checking to make sure the door actually closed all the way, which it does. Once closed, there are no issues, but they do seem flimsy in the act of closing.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OK, so did the play-doh test on both rear doors and both door bumpers make full contact with the body. The more I listen to it, the more I think the flutter comes from the latch as it hits the strike and locks in. I'll have dealer look at it, or try it on other trucks on the lot when she goes in for an oil change in a few weeks.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just curious but has anyone tried it with the windows opened to relieve air pressure?

My 19 and 14 both have an odd feel to then when closing but it's just something I got use to. Agreed with @MrAndrewArnold that the quality feel is not there.

mpurkey

Reaction score

-John

I had this same exact issue as you, John. Took the dealer 15 minutes to get the door aligned and the sound difference when shutting was definitely noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you think that’s flimsy, try this:

Open your driver door all the way. When it’s all the way open, just push on it slightly, and watch how much the sheet metal inside the door jamb flexes where the hinge is.

Go check it out. Now imagine if you open your door one day and a strong gust of wind catches it.

Last edited:

ronmac7609

Reaction score
Mine does the same on the bottom right. I was thinking it could be pressure too. Not a big deal - yet anyway. 2019 crew cab Bighorn.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I swear every time my wife gets out of the truck on the passenger side and shuts the door to my ear it NEVER sounds like its completely closed yet it is every time! I do have a misaligned rear door on the passenger side that sticks out at the back side of the door on the bottom. That is going to have to go in for adjustment.

Last edited:

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had this same exact issue as you, John. Took the dealer 15 minutes to get the door aligned and the sound difference when shutting was definitely noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a service appointment set for a week from today. I am going to add this to the list of things to fix before my warranty expires. (At 23,000 miles currently only owning the truck 7 months to the day today).

Users who are viewing this thread