5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear differential issues

putnamj

Reaction score
I have a 2021 eTorque that I bought used a year ago that now has almost 80k miles on it. After towing a camper for the first time a few weeks ago, it started making a noise in the rear end - sounds like I have big mud tires. I took it to the dealership and they told me I need to replace the whole rear axle assembly at a cost of over $3,500.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem and if anyone knows if I have any other options besides replace the whole rear end. Can the rear diff be repaired instead of replaced? The first mechanic I took it to thought it was the pinion bearing bearings. They didn't have the tools to fix it, which is why I took it to the dealer, who then told me I had to replace everything.

Any advice/suggestions? Someone I can wallow in my misery with?

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Unless there is damage to the housing, there is no reason to have to replace an entire assembly. They may be talking an entire reman assembly, which may be the cheapest way for a dealer. In Detroit area, there are shops like Drive Line Supply. By specializing, they buy the parts at a discount, and do thousands a year. Find a local drive line shop, that only does rear ends.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Almost any 4x4 shop can do this. Look for a place with a few jeeps parked outside. Jeep guys rebuild diffs and change gears as standard mods. They change tire sizes like underwear so it goes with the territory.

Users who are viewing this thread