5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear cab lights LED?

fact mechanic

Reaction score
Both, what was your build date because I think the light leaking was a problem for Ram and they might've redesigned the seal

I changed out my cargo lights last night with the LEDs and my seal looks nothing like this. Mine is much thinner and narrower. August build date.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I changed out my cargo lights last night with the LEDs and my seal looks nothing like this. Mine is much thinner and narrower. August build date.

Interesting, although if it doesn’t leak, it’s a moot point I guess.

RBRK

Reaction score
I just changed mine with amazon bulbs provided in the link previously. They are BRIGHT!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I just changed mine with amazon bulbs provided in the link previously. They are BRIGHT!
I know! Great bulbs for the price, and I still have a spare if one ever burns out.

techieanalyst

Reaction score
These would look good replaced factory pen bulbs imo ;) hell even side views lol

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Blows my mind... RAM made every single light on & inside these trucks LED, except the rear cab? What the hell.

RBRK

Reaction score
Blows my mind... RAM made every single light on & inside these trucks LED, except the rear cab? What the hell.
True, but for 13 bucks shipped from Amazon, you can put these bulbs in, the color temp matches well with the other external lights and they are very bright. I dare to say too bright, when looking at them in the dark directly.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It was probably a legal issue, it has to meet the Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1424 for cargo lamps. I think that was last revised in 2014

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And no, I don’t have a copy of the spec

kretsebr

Reaction score
edrclark, you may be right about that. Early this morning, very dark, night time yet, I did a check to see what the brightness looked from them by standing back around 40 feet. Man they are bright. I can see with the right vehicle and height they may cause a problem to a approaching vehicle, if you are parked along side a road or street.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
It was probably a legal issue, it has to meet the Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1424 for cargo lamps. I think that was last revised in 2014
Hmm... But that has nothing to do with halogen vs LED.
All that changes is the tech (and newer F-150s come with factory cargo light LEDs). Not saying this is not the case, but again, I've seen other boneheaded laws that don't make sense either.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
All that changes is the tech (and newer F-150s come with factory cargo light LEDs). Not saying this is not the case, but again, I've seen other boneheaded laws that don't make sense either.
My guess is that they flat out forgot to add LEDs in the design phase. I've seen too many design flaws like this that turned out to be a simple mistake of omission to think they intentionally designed it with halogen bulbs or decided to cheap out. I'm guessing the 2020 1500 will have LED rear cab lights standard.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score

and the F-150 had all LED but the license plate bulbs in 2017 and I can't remember in 2018 but I believe the MFG know exactly what they are doing. Dollars add up quick when you tens of thousands of units.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
and the F-150 had all LED but the license plate bulbs in 2017 and I can't remember in 2018 but I believe the MFG know exactly what they are doing. Dollars add up quick when you tens of thousands of units.
LOL... Figures. Beancounters...

Users who are viewing this thread