5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear Axle Ratio

Lawman

Reaction score
I would expect the 3.21 axle and the 3.92 axle to have different EPA ratings..They do not..I do not need to pull heavy trailers but the truck I want on the lot has the 3.92 axle..How much more gas will it burn at highway speeds with no load?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There are too many variables to answer this. We have many, many threads on this.

Some with 3.21 get worse mileage than some with 3.92. Some with 3.21 have had just as good towing experience as 3.92.

With the 8spd, your driving style has way more to do with mileage than the gears ever will.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Please read this thread for any and all (and probably too much) info on the differences between the rear ends.

Welcome to the forums

Lawman

Reaction score
Please read this thread for any and all (and probably too much) info on the differences between the rear ends.

Welcome to the forums
Wow! Lots of info....Thanks! I read through 4 pages but still not clear on why EPA ratings are the same..

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow! Lots of info....Thanks! I read through 4 pages but still not clear on why EPA ratings are the same..

Because of two things. 1: the epa does not require the trucks to be re-certified based on rear end ratio, and B: the unloaded mpg isn't very different between trucks with the different rear ends. Keep cruisin around the forums, there's tons of talk about how the mpg difference is essentially zero.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread