5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear airbag conversion

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know you mentioned adding a compressor kit eventually, but as it is, do you need to add air regularly or is it holding steady for you?

Bestcoast

Reaction score
I know you mentioned adding a compressor kit eventually, but as it is, do you need to add air regularly or is it holding steady for you?
It’s holding steady. Adding the air compressor is more for convenience than necessity.

Bestcoast

Reaction score
Got to tow this weekend. Towed a 32’ travel trailer with a dry weight of about 7k and a hitch weight of around 800 lbs. This plus people and cargo. The rear bags were at 80 psi and a weight distribution hitch was used too. The tires were all at 60psi. The truck towed well. Super controllable for a heavier load and the airbags leveled the truck nicely. I’m not sure how people tow heavy with these trucks with stock tires and stock rear springs.

Attachments

• 45EC277F-E12C-4959-A4C9-241CE17B61B1.jpeg
    45EC277F-E12C-4959-A4C9-241CE17B61B1.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 8019E465-668F-441A-BC71-F1D55705DC90.jpeg
    8019E465-668F-441A-BC71-F1D55705DC90.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 70

Bestcoast

Reaction score
A few months later and I’m still liking the airbags. I’ve got at least 5k miles on them so far and I haven’t had any issues. They really do provide the best of both worlds. They’re comfortable when the truck is unloaded and they make the truck stable, comfortable, and level when it’s loaded.
I added a compressor kit a little while ago. I went with a generic Firestone compressor and air gauge/switch combo. rather than mount the gauge up front I decided to mount the compressor and gauge in the drivers side back floor storage area. It made everything relatively simple to wire and plumb and it’s out of the way unless I need it.

Moonlightboater

Reaction score
View attachment 54228
this is with the bags at 50psi unloaded which seems to be just higher than factory rake front to rear.
View attachment 54229
here’s what the bags look like mounted. These roll/unroll up or down depending on weight/pressure and travel. They look different than the other style of bag that you see that has bellows.
View attachment 54230
here’s what the airline routing looks like on the pass side. I’m not a huge fan of the style of line that was included. It came coiled and was a huge pain to route. I may replace it later if I have issues with a stainless line.
View attachment 54231
this is the airline hookup at the bag. They come with a screw in swivel fitting. It’s tight but there’s plenty of clearance.
View attachment 54232
this is where I mounted Both schrader valves using the supplied bracket. Not a huge fan because it’s a pain to get to put I didn’t want to drill holes in my bumper at this point knowing I’ll probably get on board air.
View attachment 54233
this is the passenger side just for reference.
These Air bags look like what is on our Class 8 trucks and HD motorhomes!

Users who are viewing this thread