5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear air bags

Kxlexus

Reaction score
I keep between 7-10 psi in mine when not hooked to trailer. One thing to keep in mind is the pressure rises as you put more weight on the rear end of the truck. Case in point; today I hooked onto my 18’ tandem axle trailer. Then loaded my John Deere 3032E on the trailer. That made my truck squat a few inches. I had to add air to the bags. At 45psi the truck was level enough. That was 45psi loaded. When I unloaded the tractor and unhooked the trailer I took another reading. The gauge was now showing only 20 psi. The bags hadn’t leaked any air. My truck was sitting high in the rear end now because once the extra weight was removed the bags extended. It only took a few seconds to release a little air and get the bags back to 7psi again and I was on my way

canative

Reaction score
Installed my Timber Groves on Sunday. Not too bad, the driver side was a little difficult. The passenger side was easy. bags1.jpg bags1.jpg bags3.jpg

Attachments

• bags2.jpg
    bags2.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 24

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
how these riding after a few days? it still has a plush ride? I dont want to make it ride harsh like a 2500

canative

Reaction score
how these riding after a few days? it still has a plush ride? I dont want to make it ride harsh like a 2500
After just a couple days not bad, I need to drive around a bit more. One thing I did notice was going over a speed bump the rear felt a little rougher.

Futureboy61

Reaction score
I have a 2020 1500 Big Horn North Edition and just installed the recommended Sumosprings for my truck. The North edition is suppose to have a 1 inch factory lift already on the truck. Because of this I used the plastic spacer that came with the Sumosprings. Adding the spacer put the Sumosprings right on the rear axle with no load. I was hoping for a little clearance unloaded because the ride is so smooth from the factory. My truck now feels like it's got heavy duty springs on it and the ride feels like what I would expect with heavy duty springs. It's not bad mind you but it certainly is not as smooth as it was before I installed the Sumosprings. If I get ambitious I may remove the plastic spacer to allow some clearance between the rear axle to get back the factory ride, but I'm not so sure I'm that ambitious right now. I am sure when towing the stiffer springs will help with stability and sag but my first impressions is I miss the sweet smooth ride I had pre-spring install. I live in MI and we are famous for our roads being rough. I definitely feel the bumps a lot more when unloaded. Also, the passenger side Sumospring was pretty tough to install as the rear stabilizer bar is attached very close to the bump stop housing and it's very difficult to get any kind of wrench in that space to attach the Sumospring mounting plates. I'll give it a month or two and do some towing with it before I change anything out. I'm towing an RV camper that weighs about 9000# so it'll be a good test.

Last edited:

redevil

Reaction score
Didn't like how the new AirLift HD kits have more to do for an install versus my old 2015 Ram 1509 where the Airlift 1000 had you just squeeze it in the coil. Thinking of the Timber Grove setup if the price isn't too bad here in Canada.

Not sure if towing a travel trailer without air bags would be ok even if it is a light weight TT at dry weight of 5300lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread