5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear air bags

canative

Reaction score
This has probably been asked already but here goes. What are the best aftermarket rear air bags for our trucks.

kcshoots

Reaction score
I'm contemplating Kelderman replacement air suspension to the factory leaf springs. Any one have experience with these?

blacksmoke06

Reaction score
I installed Sumo Springs by Supersprings and love them. Just install in place of jounce stop and no other parts for air components to worry about installing or failing over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SColang22

Reaction score
I second the Timber Grove Airbags
Looking at air bags and have never done them before. Do you need to install a tank with them to control for them truck or do you have a separate air compressor for them? I'm also towing a 7,500lb boat. I found the air lift 1000 that say they hold 2500lbs. Do you think that would be enough?

Last edited:

Kxlexus

Reaction score
Looking at air bags and have never done them before. Do you need to install a tank with them to control for them truck or do you have a separate air compressor for them? I'm also towing a 7,500lb boat. I found the air lift 1000 that say they hold 2500lbs. Do you think that would be enough?
Some people use a tank and an onboard air kit. I haven’t gone that route. I keep about 10 psi in my airbags all the time. When I hook onto a heavy trailer I air them up more with a small Milwaukee M12 Inflator that I keep in one of my Ramboxes. Any small compressor will work. My Timber Grove kit hasn’t leaked at all yet so I don’t find it necessary to spend a bunch on an onboard air kit but that’s just me. Some of the systems can get pretty elaborate with automatic leveling and so on. They can get expensive too

SColang22

Reaction score
Some people use a tank and an onboard air kit. I haven’t gone that route. I keep about 10 psi in my airbags all the time. When I hook onto a heavy trailer I air them up more with a small Milwaukee M12 Inflator that I keep in one of my Ramboxes. Any small compressor will work. My Timber Grove kit hasn’t leaked at all yet so I don’t find it necessary to spend a bunch on an onboard air kit but that’s just me. Some of the systems can get pretty elaborate with automatic leveling and so on. They can get expensive too
Right now my truck sags about 2-2.5” with the boat hooked up (the lift doesn’t do my any favors). Would those bags be enough to level my back out or do I need to go with something like the airlift 5000?

Kxlexus

Reaction score
Right now my truck sags about 2-2.5” with the boat hooked up (the lift doesn’t do my any favors). Would those bags be enough to level my back out or do I need to go with something like the airlift 5000?
You won’t have to put much air in the Timber Grove Airbags to overcome that amount of sag. You will need to let them know you have a lift on your truck when you order so they can send you the proper equipment

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All air bags can be inflated with a pump that has a schrader valve (typical tire valve). When I had them in my Titan I had AirLifts plus the AirLift onboard compressor. That thing was about 6" x 6" x 4". Ran the controller inside my center console so I could inflate/deflate on the fly instead of using a 12v compressor or a bike pump. 2500 pounds is more than your payload capacity, and I plan on getting the Airlift 1000's because of the price and convenience. Don't know if I'll get a compressor again as I didn't remove it when I sold my Titan. It just makes it less hassle to inflate/deflate as you don't want the bags sitting at more than 5-10 psi if there's no weight in the bed.

SColang22

Reaction score
All air bags can be inflated with a pump that has a schrader valve (typical tire valve). When I had them in my Titan I had AirLifts plus the AirLift onboard compressor. That thing was about 6" x 6" x 4". Ran the controller inside my center console so I could inflate/deflate on the fly instead of using a 12v compressor or a bike pump. 2500 pounds is more than your payload capacity, and I plan on getting the Airlift 1000's because of the price and convenience. Don't know if I'll get a compressor again as I didn't remove it when I sold my Titan. It just makes it less hassle to inflate/deflate as you don't want the bags sitting at more than 5-10 psi if there's no weight in the bed.
yea it sounds like the 1000s will be my best option. I think I need to drill a whole in my rear spacer though to run the air house. I may get a compressor to install just to make it easier. Can anyone recommend a good compressor that I can control from inside the truck? Really appreciate the info guys!

SColang22

Reaction score
actually just looked up the install vid on the timber groves and went that route with the 2" bag extension. Seems like a no brainer for a simple install too.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yea it sounds like the 1000s will be my best option. I think I need to drill a whole in my rear spacer though to run the air house. I may get a compressor to install just to make it easier. Can anyone recommend a good compressor that I can control from inside the truck? Really appreciate the info guys!
This is the one I had in my Titan: https://www.amazon.com/25592-Controller-Air-Compressor-System/dp/B00017YYI6/

I had the bags connected to a T, then a single line running into the back of my cab. Compressor was under my back seat, and the gauge/controller was in my center console. I had to run an air line from the gauge to the compressor, but I was able to hide it under the front seat, small line to the kick plate, then to the back seat.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
actually just looked up the install vid on the timber groves and went that route with the 2" bag extension. Seems like a no brainer for a simple install too.
I think you made a good decision. The install is just like the YouTube vid from Timber Grove shows. It’s not difficult at all and the video shows every step. All the parts are quality.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
This is the one I had in my Titan: https://www.amazon.com/25592-Controller-Air-Compressor-System/dp/B00017YYI6/

I had the bags connected to a T, then a single line running into the back of my cab. Compressor was under my back seat, and the gauge/controller was in my center console. I had to run an air line from the gauge to the compressor, but I was able to hide it under the front seat, small line to the kick plate, then to the back seat.
That’s a nice setup. I may end up getting that to hook to my Timber Grove Airbags

SColang22

Reaction score
I think you made a good decision. The install is just like the YouTube vid from Timber Grove shows. It’s not difficult at all and the video shows every step. All the parts are quality.
Thanks for the help! Hopefully it ships quickly

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I installed Sumo Springs by Supersprings and love them. Just install in place of jounce stop and no other parts for air components to worry about installing or failing over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How’s the ride? My air bags bounce a little more than I like. I went with them because thought they sumos would be too stiff. But maybe they would be less bouncy.

barr0208

Reaction score
ok I just installed my timber groves have 10lbs of air in the bags. it is -18f outside drove from the shop home about 10 miles drove over several rail crossings in need of fixing handle very well also no bounce and no hardening of the ride im very impressed .

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s awesome man. I might ditch the airlift. They create a pogo-stick effect over like rail crossings and bridges.

Users who are viewing this thread