5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Really Ram Plastic....

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
Forgive me if there is a thread on this although I didn't see one when I searched. Thanks to a video a friend showed me I just discovered that we have plastic UCAs. Wtf Ram?! Anyone have a good recommendation for a solid upgrade for this? Thanks in advance.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You mean composite UCAs? Core 4x4 makes upgraded ones.

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
The problem with the factory UCA's is not the construction material. The control arms are stamped steel overmolded with structural plastic.

2019-ram-1500-4-1024x576.jpg

The real issue is the limited angle range of the ball joints in them. For my money, I'd go with a name brand aftermarket UCA if I was going to install a lift kit that might require a more extreme angle on the upper ball joint in order to have full travel. But since I'm not planning to install a lift kit, I'm not worried about it.

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Noting the post above, you can't believe everything you see on the internet. Did you honestly believe the entire UCA was plastic? Did you think that was a feasible option before you posted, or were you just trying to post something sensational to get some views? I've almost bounced the front wheels off the ground. If my UCA's were plastic the whole front end of the truck would have dropped out of the wheel wells.

@HandyCruiser has it right in that it's the travel angle of the ball joints that hinder the OEM UCA's more than anything else.

jedgar81

Reaction score
I have some BDS ucas that seem well built and have a Moog ball joint.

“Plastic” always sounds bad, but there are some incredible composites now. Very well could be stronger than the metal version. If you are upset about this have you looked at your transmission yet?

Paulie

Reaction score
I have a crack in one of mine. I’m glad to hear that there is a metal core.

Attachments

• 35485C85-31E5-4DB4-86C7-3AE163451F16.jpeg
    35485C85-31E5-4DB4-86C7-3AE163451F16.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 99

21RamBigHornBlk

Reaction score
"A repairer working on a Ram 1500 will also encounter composite materials, which suspend particles or fibers within a polymer resin for a light but tough material.

“The upper front suspension control arms (integrated with a steel structure), and the air dam structure are made from, or combined with, composite materials,” FCA wrote Monday."

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online