5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Really low payload rating?

killerformula

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just got my 2022 and I love it. Worth the wait for ordering if. That said, I was looking at some of the specs for my vin online compared to what they advertised for my truck. It's a 2022 Laramie, level 2 option package crew cab, 6'4 bed, 3.92 axle, 33 gallon tank, 4x4 package, hemi etorque. 6 passenger interior.

Online it says this truck is good for 1690 payload. When I look up my vin it's 1292. Is this some kind of mistake? Why so low?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just got my 2022 and I love it. Worth the wait for ordering if. That said, I was looking at some of the specs for my vin online compared to what they advertised for my truck. It's a 2022 Laramie, level 2 option package crew cab, 6'4 bed, 3.92 axle, 33 gallon tank, 4x4 package, hemi etorque. 6 passenger interior.

Online it says this truck is good for 1690 payload. When I look up my vin it's 1292. Is this some kind of mistake? Why so low?
I see that with many of the 6’4” beds…have been curious as well as it appears the 6’4” bed models with the 33 gallon tank take a serious hit to payload versus the shortbed version. It must be all that extra weight from the longer bed and more fuel.

The fuel weight difference between the 26 gallon and 33 gallon tank would be about 42 pounds assuming 6 pounds per gallon of fuel. It’s hard to fathom the extra sheet metal for the long bed would be another 350 pounds but I’m admittedly not an engineer.

A final consideration is if you’re comparing a regular Hemi versus an eTorque as the batter behind the seat also reduces payload (as well as options).

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

1292 is what it has. Look at your door jamb and you will see.

You have a pretty well optioned truck. Options are heavy.

The other payload was just a truck with the same configuration. Cab bed and engine.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No mistake, every option reduces payload. That does seem a bit low for a Laramie (unless it's completely fully loaded) but it's still better than my Limited! (1268).

I was in the same spot, didn't do enough research to realize how much everything I picked was going to affect my payload. I can work with it, but in the future I'll be making different choices.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's not the bed length, it's everything else. My quad cab Bighorn with the 6'4 has a payload of 1794 lbs

killerformula

Reaction score
do you have a pano-roof? if so, there's 60 pounds or so right there..
No sunroof on it. And the other estimates I saw were also etorque. It could just be that level b options pack is heavy. I also think that because I didn't choose an appearance package I have the standard wheels and big tires. I bet those are heavier too.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No sunroof on it. And the other estimates I saw were also etorque. It could just be that level b options pack is heavy. I also think that because I didn't choose an appearance package I have the standard wheels and big tires. I bet those are heavier too.
Have you looked at your door jamb to verify payload?

You do not have a Longhorn, correct?

You do not seem to have many high weight options.

VIN lookup is the most accurate...but has been known to be wrong.

When you say 4x4 package...do you mean off road group?

Multi function tailgate perhaps?

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We could help narrow down what ate your payload with a full build sheet.

Standard wheel w/bigger tires is pretty much the same as bigger wheels (which weigh more) and smaller tires. Difference there is negligible.

I don't know off the top of my head what exactly is in Level B but that could contribute.

The really heavy options are:

-Dual Pane Pano Sunroof
-Ramboxes
-Protection Group (all the plates together add a decent amount of weight)
-4X4 (front drivetrain)
-MFT
-33 Gal tank (filled up)
-Air supension
-Your mom...

killerformula

Reaction score
Condensed version attached here. No multi function tail gate.

Attachments

• build sheet.pdf
    9.3 KB · Views: 40

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Build sheet attached. No multi function tail gate. Door jamb sticker is only partly helpful because it does not list curb weight.
It does honestly seem a bit low for what you have. I would think you'd be up around 1400 with that config.

That being said, the ORG definitely does add some heft with the extra heavy-duty shocks and all the plates. The BUG actually adds a chunk too (I think it's somewhere around 55-65lbs). Those rails that hold the adjustable clips aren't light, and neither is the bedstep. And then the bedliner is a hit as well.

The Harmon/Kardon speakers might add a *little* bit (more speakers and wiring, pretty big sub).

OH, and the eTorque is also a hit, I've heard around 70lbs.

killerformula

Reaction score
Thanks for looking into all of that. An apples to apples, 6'4 bed 4x4 laramie etorque is 1690 based on the website. I guess between the off road package, bed utility, bedliner and the level b options and the 33 gallon tank I added a whopping 400 pound to this truck. Holy crap! Not the end of the world, the towing rating is still over 11000 pounds. Moral of the story is if you have something heavy to move around, tow it.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if there's an updated version of this, but here's a document that was posted a while back. It shows what options impact the weight.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for looking into all of that. An apples to apples, 6'4 bed 4x4 laramie etorque is 1690 based on the website. I guess between the off road package, bed utility, bedliner and the level b options and the 33 gallon tank I added a whopping 400 pound to this truck. Holy crap! Not the end of the world, the towing rating is still over 11000 pounds. Moral of the story is if you have something heavy to move around, tow it.
the website is ok but the real number is the door sticker

when push comes to shove the door sticker wins every time.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
the website is ok but the real number is the door sticker

when push comes to shove the door sticker wins every time.
If you have a VIN the look up my truck is 99.9% accurate. And is actually more precise than the door jamb. The door jamb is a rounded number...lol

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Unless things have changed...the eTorque is 23 gallon standard. So you are taking away 10 gallons of fuel and the associated tank weight. ORG has the skids and the sticker(j/k)

Bed group takes away a good bit. The Laramie emblems have more letters(it is even worse for Longhorn owners)

Every little thing adds up.

You can always go to weighmytruck.com find a CAT scale and weigh it. Then you will know your baseline for sure. And how much "extra" you can squeeze out of the 8000lb axle capacity.

Users who are viewing this thread