5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Readylift upper ball joint needs replacement at 34k?

Robalo2718

Reaction score
As the title suggests, I have 34k on my ReadyLift upper control arms and their respective upper ball joints. Was at the local tire/suspension shop yesterday doing seasonal tire swap and an alignment and was told there was too much play in the driver upper ball joint. The tech had me feel driver side vs passenger side upper side ball joints while he pushed on the tires. Sure enough, I could feel slight grinding/knocking/wobbling on the driver side.

Does this seemed like premature failure to anyone?

I do a lot of driving on rough roads, but would not be expecting this so soon, especially with the passenger side feeling fine. Of note, I have not noticed a change in handling or any sounds while driving. I had the tech put more grease in the joint for now. Fortunately those upper ball joints are replaceable without replacing the whole upper control arm...

Thanks for your feedback.

Spokes

Reaction score
I had a Readylift on my Chevy. The on BJ did start to make noise about a year after install, around 25k miles, they sent me a new BJ no questions asked. You should be able to just press out/in the ball joint. RL makes good stuff and usually owns up to their warranty. Call em and explain how you only drive on the highway like an old man *wink wink*
1651061614593.png

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Was it regularly greased? Can't rely on lube techs at oil change places to lube them since the factory control arms are service free and they wouldn't think to look.

Robalo2718

Reaction score
Was it regularly greased? Can't rely on lube techs at oil change places to lube them since the factory control arms are service free and they wouldn't think to look.
Good question. Supposedly the place where I had the UCAs installed does a once-over of the suspension whenever I am in there for an alignment (6 alignments since I've had the truck), but none of my service records from them mention greasing the ball joints. The dealership I go to for oil changes actually installs ReadyLift kits, so you'd hope they share some grease, but again, it's not in writing.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am ashamed to say but not very often. I actually forgot they had a zerk since nothing does anymore. I haven’t done them in over 40k mikes. Guess what I’ll be doing today. Thanks for the reminder

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
IIRC, those are 1-ton ball joints. Can readylift give you a replacement ball joint part number? Maybe you can cross-reference it and find one at an auto parts store.

Robalo2718

Reaction score
As the title suggests, I have 34k on my ReadyLift upper control arms and their respective upper ball joints. Was at the local tire/suspension shop yesterday doing seasonal tire swap and an alignment and was told there was too much play in the driver upper ball joint. The tech had me feel driver side vs passenger side upper side ball joints while he pushed on the tires. Sure enough, I could feel slight grinding/knocking/wobbling on the driver side.

I do a lot of driving on rough roads, but would not be expecting this so soon, especially with the passenger side feeling fine. Of note, I have not noticed a change in handling or any sounds while driving. I had the tech put more grease in the joint for now. Fortunately those upper ball joints are replaceable without replacing the whole upper control arm...

UPDATE:
Got it replaced a few days ago. Was $130 for parts and labor. Despite no noticeable symptoms while driving, I didn't want to wait on it because I wanted the alignment to be completed before the "30 day alignment guarantee" expired from my previous visit. With new upper ball joint the truck handles....exactly the same (shocker)! Thank you to all who replied/gave feedback/provided insight. Much appreciated.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
UPDATE:
Got it replaced a few days ago. Was $130 for parts and labor. Despite no noticeable symptoms while driving, I didn't want to wait on it because I wanted the alignment to be completed before the "30 day alignment guarantee" expired from my previous visit. With new upper ball joint the truck handles....exactly the same (shocker)! Thank you to all who replied/gave feedback/provided insight. Much appreciated.
Do you have any kind of part number for the replacement ball joints? If you post that here, it will probably help others in the future.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

67-3412 REPLACEMENT BALL JOINT 67-3412 Replacement Ball Joint

That fit my UCAs that came with lift kit #66-1921.

Hope this is of some help.
Ha, thanks. I was thinking there was one from a parts store available. That’s good to know though, since I’ll most likely be buying another set of readylift uca’s soon.

Robalo2718

Reaction score

357 days and 15k miles later IT IS HAPPENING AGAIN. Same side (driver). This time I noticed a metallic-sounding "clunk" going over speed bumps. Jacked the truck up and I can get the driver side to click, but not passenger.

Pretty sure that UCA ball joint is under warranty this time, but why does this keep happening??? It has been greased three times at least in the last year - I know because that's how many times I greased it, or tried to grease it and at the very least created a big grease mess.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
357 days and 15k miles later IT IS HAPPENING AGAIN. Same side (driver). This time I noticed a metallic-sounding "clunk" going over speed bumps. Jacked the truck up and I can get the driver side to click, but not passenger.

Pretty sure that UCA ball joint is under warranty this time, but why does this keep happening??? It has been greased three times at least in the last year - I know because that's how many times I greased it, or tried to grease it and at the very least created a big grease mess.
Are you using the UCAs for lifted applications, or stock height? RC makes different ones

Robalo2718

Reaction score

This may be worse than I thought. Took it to a suspension shop and they said the UCA seemed fine. Finally got around to checking more thoroughly myself and it doesn't look fine to me. Attached are pictures of the "healthy" passenger side and then the malfunctioning/bad driver side. Looks like the driver side has been smashing into the knuckle and chipping away at it. Supposed to leave on a 3-week road trip in 3 days. Bummer.

healthy.jpg
bad 1.jpg
bad 2.jpg
bad bad.jpg

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This may be worse than I thought. Took it to a suspension shop and they said the UCA seemed fine. Finally got around to checking more thoroughly myself and it doesn't look fine to me. Attached are pictures of the "healthy" passenger side and then the malfunctioning/bad driver side. Looks like the driver side has been smashing into the knuckle and chipping away at it. Supposed to leave on a 3-week road trip in 3 days. Bummer.

View attachment 157304
View attachment 157305
View attachment 157306
View attachment 157307

The UCA's are fine. The shop that installed the UCA's beat the crap out of the knuckle with a hammer.

Users who are viewing this thread