5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ready to void my warranty

Wadlum22

Reaction score
I've had my truck for about a year and love it. I think I'm ready to really step up the power. Ive read alot into procharger and a few of the super charged, but Im thinking the best bang for the buck is a cam and long tube headers, plus tune. Anyone have any experience with this. I see moe's offers 3 cams and kooks has a direct bolt on LTH set for the 5th gen now. All in all with the tune, I'm looking at around $3k(ish). Any input is greatly appreciated. Seems pretty straight forward and I'm hearing claims of low 12s with that set up. I've also heard forced induction only brings it into the mid-high 12s. Seems like a no brainier to me. What do you guys think?

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If your going to spend the money then spend it right!l Take a look at this info on the Torqstorm. Its what I have been looking at. You can also replace the steel flywheel with an aluminum one and gain some rpm's.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Having done heads and cam then stroker motor on my Z06, I can tell you this, BOOST.
Don't waste money on heads and cam, you'll get an improvement but at the cost of drivability in an already heavy truck.

Your powerband will move up the rpm scale and make the truck lazy., my Z06 is 3000 lbs so this wasn't an issue but it was also offset by adding a 434 ci stroker bottom end. Unless you're going to do that in the Ram, you will lose some drivability. You will more importantly lose reliability as you'll be asking to valvetrain to do more.

Boost (a PD blower, not a centri) is far friendlier and will add more power than the cam but will also add drivability. I'd get a whipple or similar

BowDown

Reaction score
If your going to spend the money then spend it right!l Take a look at this info on the Torqstorm. Its what I have been looking at. You can also replace the steel flywheel with an aluminum one and gain some rpm's.

Autos use a flexplate, no weight savings there

HemiDude

Reaction score
I would be very interested to see the substantiation for low 12's from a cam and headers in an otherwise stock Ram. These trucks are heavy, and not as aerodynamic as they look at high speed. Any links to the claims?

BowDown

Reaction score
I would be very interested to see the substantiation for low 12's from a cam and headers in an otherwise stock Ram. These trucks are heavy, and not as aerodynamic as they look at high speed. Any links to the claims?

No way you come near the 12's with a cam and headers.
You'd need a solid 200hp to come near that number or lose 1000

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've had my truck for about a year and love it. I think I'm ready to really step up the power. Ive read alot into procharger and a few of the super charged, but Im thinking the best bang for the buck is a cam and long tube headers, plus tune. Anyone have any experience with this. I see moe's offers 3 cams and kooks has a direct bolt on LTH set for the 5th gen now. All in all with the tune, I'm looking at around $3k(ish). Any input is greatly appreciated. Seems pretty straight forward and I'm hearing claims of low 12s with that set up. I've also heard forced induction only brings it into the mid-high 12s. Seems like a no brainier to me. What do you guys think?
Maybe @Ellisstrong can chime in regarding real-world ProCharger performance.

Wadlum22

Reaction score
Mostly just talk from other forums

HemiDude

Reaction score
Mostly just talk from other forums
Here is a link to a quick ET calculator for reference. Obviously there is a lot more to consider when gauging how quick your vehicle will be, but sites like this offer a good start to understanding perception v reality. Let us know what mods you decide upon, I always like to see what makes these good trucks even better

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Diablo claims 50/50 from a cat-back, CAI and tune. Not to sure I can see that - but manufacturers leave a lot on the table to make the EPA happy.

I'm not one to tell others how to spend their money - especially not since I have about $10K into a Polaris Slingshot (supercharger, cams, header, exhaust, radiator, etc., etc., etc.) - giving me about 400HP I have ZERO CHANGE to put to the ground. No weight in the rear - will NEVER HOOK off the line - it's a joke to even try. I'm just happy it only has ONE TIRE in the back, since I go through them every 3K miles (fun doing oil AND tire changes at the same time - but I digress). Add in the $4K in stereo gear - well - you get the idea.

The question still remains - though, given my demonstrated proclivity for deluding myself into thinking that $$ I put into stuff like this is "an INVESTMENT" (which you will never get back on the back end - ask me how I know)...

WHAT exactly are you trying to get out of a 7,000 TRUCK (that you aren't going to take to the track) and WHY? Aside from the obvious answer - BECAUSE I CAN?

Just sayin...

Since I'm thinking of trading on something else in the near future, I'm glad I left this truck pretty much alone - or at least, nothing I cannot pull out easily and re-sell.

Rick

HemiDude

Reaction score
Diablo claims 50/50 from a cat-back, CAI and tune. Not to sure I can see that - but manufacturers leave a lot on the table to make the EPA happy.

I'm not one to tell others how to spend their money - especially not since I have about $10K into a Polaris Slingshot (supercharger, cams, header, exhaust, radiator, etc., etc., etc.) - giving me about 400HP I have ZERO CHANGE to put to the ground. No weight in the rear - will NEVER HOOK off the line - it's a joke to even try. I'm just happy it only has ONE TIRE in the back, since I go through them every 3K miles (fun doing oil AND tire changes at the same time - but I digress). Add in the $4K in stereo gear - well - you get the idea.

The question still remains - though, given my demonstrated proclivity for deluding myself into thinking that $$ I put into stuff like this is "an INVESTMENT" (which you will never get back on the back end - ask me how I know)...

WHAT exactly are you trying to get out of a 7,000 TRUCK (that you aren't going to take to the track) and WHY? Aside from the obvious answer - BECAUSE I CAN?

Just sayin...

Since I'm thinking of trading on something else in the near future, I'm glad I left this truck pretty much alone - or at least, nothing I cannot pull out easily and re-sell.

Rick
I expect that Diablo package would free up roughly 25 HP, torque would be more or less depending on manifold/header design. The 5.7L does take well to mods, but it does take a well thought-out total package to see and feel real gains. I have thought about a supercharger since day one of owning this truck. If I do it, it won't be because I want a race truck (I have a Challenger for that), it will be so I can get that smile that only comes from a happy butt-dyno!

Wadlum22

Reaction score
Here is a link to a quick ET calculator for reference. Obviously there is a lot more to consider when gauging how quick your vehicle will be, but sites like this offer a good start to understanding perception v reality. Let us know what mods you decide upon, I always like to see what makes these good trucks even better

Thanks for that. I thought the low 12s sounded inflated. I think I'm leaning more towards procharger. The gains and simplicity of install is a huge plus. I'm also thinking everyday drivability will be better than cams. I'll definitely update when I pull the trigger. So hard to decide lol

Wadlum22

Reaction score

Just sayin...

Rick
It's a daily driver for me. I'm not looking to have the fastest truck, just faster. I like pressing the go pedal and feeling it. I have stupid power/weight vehicles, but aren't really practical for daily driving (I still do it but it's not practical). These trucks aren't exactly slouches from the factory. Waking it up a bit (with roughly 60-100whp) would be a lot of fun coming on to a freeway, or a little 0-60 at a stop light against someone in a sports car. It would be funny to see their reaction losing (or close to it) to a big *** truck lol. It's what makes me happy. That's what it's all about right? I don't expect everyone to understand or agree with it. I also don't think It's financially responsible, but to each their own. Some people drop hundreds of dollars at bars or clubs every weekend without issue. Some people enjoy gambling. Others have to stay up to date with the latest fashion. Alot of people invest a ton of money into gaming systems or home theatres. It's what makes them happy. I think those are all dumb wastes of money but to each their own.

HemiDude

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I thought the low 12s sounded inflated. I think I'm leaning more towards procharger. The gains and simplicity of install is a huge plus. I'm also thinking everyday drivability will be better than cams. I'll definitely update when I pull the trigger. So hard to decide lol
I'm not saying you can't get our trucks into the 12s with those parts, but I would have to see something proven to believe it. My Challenger has over 100 HP/TQ more and weighs over 1000 lbs less than my truck, and I've had it in the 12's, don't see my truck ever running that way without boost plus.

I think the added cost of the supercharger is offset by the fun factor of instant power gain. Either way you go, I'm sure you will get even more enjoyment out of your truck.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's a daily driver for me. I'm not looking to have the fastest truck, just faster. I like pressing the go pedal and feeling it. I have stupid power/weight vehicles, but aren't really practical for daily driving (I still do it but it's not practical). These trucks aren't exactly slouches from the factory. Waking it up a bit (with roughly 60-100whp) would be a lot of fun coming on to a freeway, or a little 0-60 at a stop light against someone in a sports car. It would be funny to see their reaction losing (or close to it) to a big *** truck lol. It's what makes me happy. That's what it's all about right? I don't expect everyone to understand or agree with it. I also don't think It's financially responsible, but to each their own. Some people drop hundreds of dollars at bars or clubs every weekend without issue. Some people enjoy gambling. Others have to stay up to date with the latest fashion. Alot of people invest a ton of money into gaming systems or home theatres. It's what makes them happy. I think those are all dumb wastes of money but to each their own.
VERY well said, and I totally get it. You're reasoning is approved!! lol

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree that claims of 12's in the 1/4 mile are highly unlikely. I think you'll be lucky to even break into the 13's.
I’ve ran several 13.6 passes in the 1/4 mile with a custom tune only.
FBO, tune and cam with decent tires you will be in the 12s all day.
Anyone who says otherwise, well you just aren’t educated in the ram community.
High Performance Rams on Facebook is where you need to be reading.

Users who are viewing this thread