5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ready to buy...but have some questions

thebartman

Reaction score
Greetings and happy new year folks!

Unfortunately, I was in a crash before the holidays and my 50k mile 2014 is now a parts gold mine for whoever buys it from Copart.
I'm looking at all my options, but right now I'm undecided if new or used and what model is the best fit.

One thing that immediately caught my attention was the etorque alternator, I researched the the replacement cost at $1600 and the $2500 48v battery.
Can anyone testify to the long-term reliability and to any real value etorque adds to vehicle ownership?

I was just looking at trucks with air suspension and a moon/sun roof, but I've read that both options could be a big serving of buyers remorse.
What other durability, lemon law, or cost of ownership issues are people having in their 5th gens?

Can anyone describe what exactly the "Bright Day Light Opening Moldings" of the Customer Preferred Package 27H actually is?

I'm looking forward to some great input, learning about my new ride, and excited about being part of this forum.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings and happy new year folks!

Unfortunately, I was in a crash before the holidays and my 50k mile 2014 is now a parts gold mine for whoever buys it from Copart.
I'm looking at all my options, but right now I'm undecided if new or used and what model is the best fit.

One thing that immediately caught my attention was the etorque alternator, I researched the the replacement cost at $1600 and the $2500 48v battery.
Can anyone testify to the long-term reliability and to any real value etorque adds to vehicle ownership?

I was just looking at trucks with air suspension and a moon/sun roof, but I've read that both options could be a big serving of buyers remorse.
What other durability, lemon law, or cost of ownership issues are people having in their 5th gens?

Can anyone describe what exactly the "Bright Day Light Opening Moldings" of the Customer Preferred Package 27H actually is?

I'm looking forward to some great input, learning about my new ride, and excited about being part of this forum.
Air suspension on the 5th gens seems to be better than the 4rh gens. I don't have it, but haven't heard of as many issues with it.

Love my panoramic sunroof, but did have to have the tracks replaced under warranty

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I bought my 2019 Ltd specifically without et (hemi) and felt that was the right choice then.
Now 4 years later, et is standard, (well there's no choice so I suppose that being standard is ok) yet reliability is fine (there were teething problems in 2019 and 2020 but I believe that's a past issue now). A few early adopters had problems though...See forum threads.

Air suspension was panned on 4th gen in cold climates. Perhaps it's lessened in 5th gens but unsure what changes have been made, if any. Do you live up north? Might still be a consideration for you.

The price of replacing the 4 corner air system would certainly be more than a simple shock.

As for Sunroofs, I don't care for a (huge pano) hole in the roof, yet some peeps love them.
At least RAM knows how to seal them and allow for drainage, something Ferd is still figuring out going on 8 years now since I had a 2015... Go over to the F150 forums and see how many (books) pages of threads there are on that topic! 😮🙄

All these nice things as well as the 12" screen kinda' beg for a Mopar factory extended warranty (not 3rd party crap). The auto deployable running boards can be spendy too.

If you don't like the possibility of these items failing then get a used BH or Laramie w/o them, otherwise buy a certified truck or one with low enough miles to get the extended Mopar warranty (so under 3 years and 36K miles).

However with the % off peeps are still getting on 2024's (see the almost 900 page thread on Price Paid), it's hard to go used when new is almost 25% off msrp.

When I bought my 23', a not too far away dealer had a used 8000 mile same year and trim unit with similar options for $3K more than my new one... 😮🤔

Just "shop till you drop" and you will figure it out pretty soon. Availability, trim level, color, value, remaining warranty if any... Lots to consider.

Oh and get the 33 gallon tank! 😮😀

6of36

Reaction score
People have answered the other questions, but the Bright daylight moldings, are chrome around the side windows.

Attachments

• Ram Side before Mothers.jpg
    Ram Side before Mothers.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 32

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
And the split tailgate!
That‘s hard to find on dealer lots, at least it was when I looked at 50ish units over about 12 dealers and 5 states. I saw 1 or 2 with the MFT but prices were too high. Then there’s little “gotcha” things like the hard cover trifold brands I looked up mostly said “doesn't fit trucks with MFT”

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought my 2019 Ltd specifically without et (hemi) and felt that was the right choice then.
Now 4 years later, et is standard, (well there's no choice so I suppose that being standard is ok) yet reliability is fine (there were teething problems in 2019 and 2020 but I believe that's a past issue now). A few early adopters had problems though...See forum threads.

Air suspension was panned on 4th gen in cold climates. Perhaps it's lessened in 5th gens but unsure what changes have been made, if any. Do you live up north? Might still be a consideration for you.

The price of replacing the 4 corner air system would certainly be more than a simple shock.

As for Sunroofs, I don't care for a (huge pano) hole in the roof, yet some peeps love them.
At least RAM knows how to seal them and allow for drainage, something Ferd is still figuring out going on 8 years now since I had a 2015... Go over to the F150 forums and see how many (books) pages of threads there are on that topic!

All these nice things as well as the 12" screen kinda' beg for a Mopar factory extended warranty (not 3rd party crap). The auto deployable running boards can be spendy too.

If you don't like the possibility of these items failing then get a used BH or Laramie w/o them, otherwise buy a certified truck or one with low enough miles to get the extended Mopar warranty (so under 3 years and 36K miles).

However with the % off peeps are still getting on 2024's (see the almost 900 page thread on Price Paid), it's hard to go used when new is almost 25% off msrp.

When I bought my 23', a not too far away dealer had a used 8000 mile same year and trim unit with similar options for $3K more than my new one...

Just "shop till you drop" and you will figure it out pretty soon. Availability, trim level, color, value, remaining warranty if any... Lots to consider.

Oh and get the 33 gallon tank!
Great post, but keep in mind even at 25% off new, it's a greatly inflated MSRP.

I was tempted to go new on my most recent purchase, but no way I'd own an eTorque. Scored a great deal on a loaded up '19 Limited vs paying 20k more for a comparable '23 with eTorque.

Pano roof is a must IMO, it really opens up and brightens the interior up. 33 gallon tank for sure, the other stuff is really personal preference.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
MSRP is such a bogus number especially for Ram it doesn't matter what MSRP is listed as, it changes every 2 months but the truck doesn't become more valuable.
My 81K MSRP (at the time) I got for 66.5k and imo it's worth around 60k.
I wouldn't dream of giving MSRP for a truck like this. These trucks are not worth 80k+ with the way they are made. So many electronics and a ton that can't even be repaired when broken. No one is going to by buying a 2020 Ram 1500 in 2035 and replacing stuff to make it run right. It would never be worth any kind of money. More and more trucks last less and less in the old used market because they age so poorly.

But what is the alternative? Every manufacture is price gouging and pumping MSRP high, I believe Ram is at +55% MSRP since covid.

U

User_3336

They mark up the Ram's $20K, then give $20K in rebates. Its a mind game.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Yep msrp’s keep rising. Some inflation, some more complex equipment, some trying to pad their already gross SUV and truck profits to offset their losses (Ferd and GM) on EV’s.

What do you think is going to happen to msrp’s in the future years due to the UAW strike settlements? Then you will really see some increases!

Probably 2025 and up as the accountants figure out what those increased wages are costing the companies.

What’s that old saying, “There’s no free lunch…”

U

User_3336

20k in rebates lol. More like $500-$1500 depending on the trim.
I only got $1000 in rebates when I ordered mine.
Naw, you could have obtained a ''23 Big Horn or Laramie last month for about $20,000 off! ! ! (Landers in Huntsville, AL) - - - - $19667 to be exact.
It was 15% off last month, plus un head of dealer discounts.
Its about 16,000 off now. (10% off plus dealer discounts).

Here is another local dealer. Dealer upped the discounts last two days of the month. i've watched the prices get better everyday.

Attachments

• ramdisc.jpg
    ramdisc.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 19
Last edited by a moderator:
U

User_3336

Here's another . . . Current - - if you don't mind a 23. $19230 OFF last month. (15% manuf rebate)

Disc went down to 10% this month (manuf rebate) BUT 16,220 off a Ram 1500 is not a bad deal!
And that's true discount, not chocked full of conditional rebates (dealer discount). Only condition
was that you finance.

ramdisc2.jpg

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Gotta know when to buy I guess. What I noticed is that I actually paid less for my 2023 than my 2019…🤔

Even in the summer of 19’ when RAM advertised a “truck month” the discounts were no higher. My son’s 2019 Ltd 4x level 1 was purchased for $61 during that sale. My 2023 4x Ltd level 1 was purchased for $59.5K just 2 weeks ago.

So they sorta cost the same some 4 years later. Well, my 23’ was 7 months “older” than the 2019 was as far as build date vs selling date. That‘s part of it.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got a 2020 with 52,xxx miles on it so far. You can see my signature for total options but it's been pretty much flawless besides the exhaust manifolds which have plagued the Hemi for many moons. I've had no weird abnormalities with my etorque system. Pano sunroof has been flawless. 12" screen had a hiccup one day where the camera came in a green hue but has not repeated at all in years. Ramboxes aren't perfectly aligned but seal watertight. Overall I've been very pleased with my truck. As mentioned - still too new to really speak to long term reliability but that's been my experience.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Here's another . . . Current - - if you don't mind a 23. $19230 OFF last month. (15% manuf rebate)

Disc went down to 10% this month (manuf rebate) BUT 16,220 off a Ram 1500 is not a bad deal!
And that's true discount, not chocked full of conditional rebates (dealer discount). Only condition
was that you finance.

View attachment 174300
The “conditional” rebates are a bunch of crap, so few qualify. Props to dealers like MD that don’t have an advertised price after 10 conditional rebates like FFA members, Nat Association of whatever, customer loyalty, previous leaseholder…

That customer loyalty one always bothered me a bit. Why not reward the guy who traded in a different brand? Isn’t that the idea, deprive the other truck makers of sales by getting their buyers to switch to you?

If I took the time I could dig up some sleazy ads but right now I‘m too lazy.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I've got a 2020 with 52,xxx miles on it so far. You can see my signature for total options but it's been pretty much flawless besides the exhaust manifolds which have plagued the Hemi for many moons. I've had no weird abnormalities with my etorque system. Pano sunroof has been flawless. 12" screen had a hiccup one day where the camera came in a green hue but has not repeated at all in years. Ramboxes aren't perfectly aligned but seal watertight. Overall I've been very pleased with my truck. As mentioned - still too new to really speak to long term reliability but that's been my experience.
Well your 3 years and being past the mileage warranty speak for themselves. Guess you have a “Wednesday morning” truck. Better keep it. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread