5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ready to buy...but have some questions

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a 2020 with 52,xxx miles on it so far. You can see my signature for total options but it's been pretty much flawless besides the exhaust manifolds which have plagued the Hemi for many moons. I've had no weird abnormalities with my etorque system. Pano sunroof has been flawless. 12" screen had a hiccup one day where the camera came in a green hue but has not repeated at all in years. Ramboxes aren't perfectly aligned but seal watertight. Overall I've been very pleased with my truck. As mentioned - still too new to really speak to long term reliability but that's been my experience.

Well your 3 years and being past the mileage warranty speak for themselves. Guess you have a “Wednesday morning” truck. Better keep it. 👍
Guess I'm keeping my "Wednesday" truck too..2019 Laramie with 125K miles and have only had the third brake light leak and one of the manifolds cracked (just inside CPO warranty thankfully). Otherwise it's been the best truck I've owned...even with the 12" screen and lots of other goodies. (Yes, I'm knocking on wood!)

OP - Having owned Air Susp in the past (put 229K miles with no issues in central Ohio) I'd not hesitate to get it again. In fact I really kinda miss it for certain things. Can't speak to eTorque. good luck with your search! I've been tempted to look at new trucks as well...especially because 2500's are now the slowest selling vehicle of all, so I expect the prices to start falling quickly, but our local dealers don't seem to have gotten that message yet.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings and happy new year folks!

Unfortunately, I was in a crash before the holidays and my 50k mile 2014 is now a parts gold mine for whoever buys it from Copart.
I'm looking at all my options, but right now I'm undecided if new or used and what model is the best fit.

One thing that immediately caught my attention was the etorque alternator, I researched the the replacement cost at $1600 and the $2500 48v battery.
Can anyone testify to the long-term reliability and to any real value etorque adds to vehicle ownership?

I was just looking at trucks with air suspension and a moon/sun roof, but I've read that both options could be a big serving of buyers remorse.
What other durability, lemon law, or cost of ownership issues are people having in their 5th gens?

Can anyone describe what exactly the "Bright Day Light Opening Moldings" of the Customer Preferred Package 27H actually is?

I'm looking forward to some great input, learning about my new ride, and excited about being part of this forum.
I'm not sure I'll add anything new to this discussion, but my experiences related to your questions are as follows:
  • I've got just 48K miles on my 2019 (ordered May 2018, delivered September 2018). So we're talking a 5+ year old truck with relatively low miles. Also, I purchased the Mopar Lifetime MaxCare warranty before it was discontinued in late 2018. At various times, this truck sees the heat of Texas summers and the cold of Michigan winters.
  • The eTorque system is barely noticeable, aside from exceptionally smooth stop-start. I've heard a faint whine once or twice over the years, but nothing recent. And one time at a drive-thru, the truck shut off while I was ordering and nothing happened when I took my foot off of the brake. I put the truck in Park and then Drive and everything was normal again, so I'll presume that was an electronic glitch. I wouldn't hesitate to order it again, especially because it was a cheap option at the time I ordered.
  • I've had no issues with the air suspension. It's awesome for load leveling, hitching up a trailer, and lowering the truck for easy entry (e.g., parents, in-laws).
  • I've had no issues with the panoramic sunroof. I don't open it or retract the shade often, though. It's turned out to be more of a "show off" thing that passengers like to experience.
Best of luck to you!

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Guess I'm keeping my "Wednesday" truck too..2019 Laramie with 125K miles and have only had the third brake light leak and one of the manifolds cracked (just inside CPO warranty thankfully). Otherwise it's been the best truck I've owned...even with the 12" screen and lots of other goodies. (Yes, I'm knocking on wood!)

OP - Having owned Air Susp in the past (put 229K miles with no issues in central Ohio) I'd not hesitate to get it again. In fact I really kinda miss it for certain things. Can't speak to eTorque. good luck with your search! I've been tempted to look at new trucks as well...especially because 2500's are now the slowest selling vehicle of all, so I expect the prices to start falling quickly, but our local dealers don't seem to have gotten that message yet.
Check the discount dealers, MD and some dealer in Alabama, per a forum poster recently in the prices paid thread. Somebody is bound to have one, well, depending on if you want a high output, Cummins, or limited trim, or something more rare.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the Etrq system is cover by the 8yr / 80k(?) mile emissions warranty. That being said, and with the exception of the occasion occurrence of really odd noises from the Etrq system, it has worked fine for the last 4yrs & 62k miles. Though my mileage, mostly highway, is complete ****.. so I highly doubt it would have been any worse if I could have found this truck with just the Hemi.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the Etrq system is cover by the 8yr / 80k(?) mile emissions warranty. That being said, and with the exception of the occasion occurrence of really odd noises from the Etrq system, it has worked fine for the last 4yrs & 62k miles. Though my mileage, mostly highway, is complete ****.. so I highly doubt it would have been any worse if I could have found this truck with just the Hemi.
It might of even been better.
No regen breaking and coast more since the only real benefit of eTorque is start\stop which I hope you don't need to do on the highway.

TAL2GK

Reaction score
I love my truck and custom ordered it because I couldn't find the combination of items that I wanted on a lot. I didn't think I was being too picky, but apparently so.

For me, I tow long distances several times a year, so there are a few items that have been amazing.

*33 gallon tank (should be standard)
*3.92 rear axle
*Tow mirrors
*Air Suspension
*Anti-spin rear axle
*Ventilated seats (necessary in the south)

Nice to have:
*Bed Utility Group
*Heads Up Display/Rear View Mirror-Camera (Great for looking past rear seat passengers)

Mechanically, my truck has been great. Electronically, though, it has been plagued by glitches that have gone from annoying to unsafe to unable to drive. It is really a shame because I don't know if I should be replacing this or trying to let Ram/the dealership try for the 10th time to fix this problems. The best part of my truck is the mechanical part - the worst part is the electronic part. Heaven forbid Stellantis trying to develop the Ramcharger that will replace the best parts of the truck with the worst parts of mine.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I love my truck and custom ordered it because I couldn't find the combination of items that I wanted on a lot. I didn't think I was being too picky, but apparently so.

For me, I tow long distances several times a year, so there are a few items that have been amazing.

*33 gallon tank (should be standard)
*3.92 rear axle
*Tow mirrors
*Air Suspension
*Anti-spin rear axle
*Ventilated seats (necessary in the south)

Nice to have:
*Bed Utility Group
*Heads Up Display/Rear View Mirror-Camera (Great for looking past rear seat passengers)

Mechanically, my truck has been great. Electronically, though, it has been plagued by glitches that have gone from annoying to unsafe to unable to drive. It is really a shame because I don't know if I should be replacing this or trying to let Ram/the dealership try for the 10th time to fix this problems. The best part of my truck is the mechanical part - the worst part is the electronic part. Heaven forbid Stellantis trying to develop the Ramcharger that will replace the best parts of the truck with the worst parts of mine.
I consider all of those necessities, except the tow mirrors. I hate the current "moose antler" tow mirrors. Had them once, won't again. I will use clip-ons when I tow. The 25s are finally going to power extending mirrors for towing, replacing those hideous things.

Users who are viewing this thread