5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reading the owners manual, it says 89 gasoline is recommended as it using Top Tier gasoline. The only Top Tier gasoline available locally does not hav

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I often wonder how good the quality of mid-grade gas is at my local stations. I never see anybody buying it and concerned how long it sits in that tank. Almost everyone buys 87 octane eapecially now with high gas prices and premium gets purchased quite often for filling boats and other outdoor powersports equipment due to no ethanol in it. Mid-grade seems to largely get ignored.🤔

jimchi

Reaction score
I often wonder how good the quality of mid-grade gas is at my local stations. I never see anybody buying it and concerned how long it sits in that tank. Almost everyone buys 87 octane eapecially now with high gas prices and premium gets purchased quite often for filling boats and other outdoor powersports equipment due to no ethanol in it. Mid-grade seems to largely get ignored.🤔
As far as I’m aware, the mid-grade 89 is a 50/50 mix of 87 and 91.

Jako

Reaction score
So is it from a separate tank or premixed at the pump?🤔
The gas is mixed according to my station owner.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
88 ftw baby!

Almost a dollar cheaper than 87 and doesn’t ping like 87 under load.

Thank you government subsidies.

Anddd fight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How is it cheaper? Unless your 87 is ethanol free?

U

User_3336

So is it from a separate tank or premixed at the pump?🤔
Appears it comes from the same tanker. I've never seen three seperate hoses. I think they just mix their special "additives" into the fuel as its pumped into the tanks.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
88 ftw baby!

Almost a dollar cheaper than 87 and doesn’t ping like 87 under load.

Thank you government subsidies.

Anddd fight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup(y) it's currently $4.09. But about 2 weeks ago it was $3.99. I can't find it here in NJ, but I usually wait until I go to Poconos so I can fill up at Sheetz.

I remember last year when Sheetz had a grand opening, and they had 88 for $1.99

834k3r

Reaction score
I think the differences in how the engines react to 87 is the quality of that 87 being used.

Just as long as it's Top Tier rated from a good station, it should be fine.
I got my 87 from reputable stations (Conoco, Chevron); not sure if they were "Top Tier" or not.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just searched with gas buddy. The only station around with 88 costs more than 87 at other places. Oh well

Dewey

Reaction score
Mid-grade is .40 more here. I filled up with 89 octane for the first time ever with a Hemi and honestly can’t tell the difference. Power and gas mileage were exactly the same. Maybe if I was towing something heavy there would be a benefit but for everyday driving it’s a waste of money.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mid-grade is .40 more here. I filled up with 89 octane for the first time ever with a Hemi and honestly can’t tell the difference. Power and gas mileage were exactly the same. Maybe if I was towing something heavy there would be a benefit but for everyday driving it’s a waste of money.
A single tank isn't going to make much of a difference. Takes several tanks for the long term adaptives to adjust.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Exactly

Users who are viewing this thread