5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Re: Installing Full Stereo w/ Sound Deadening - Pandemic Project

sparkygreen

Reaction score
Im seriously thinking about tearing into my truck. I got nowhere to go and nothing but time for the next 4-6 weeks. I have a full stereo from my 2014 Limited 1500 that I am going to install along with sound deadening in my 2019 Limited 1500 with HK system.

I will be using the following equipment.

1/0 and 4Ga Power and Ground with Fuses and distribution. Knuconceptz and stinger expert.
PAC AMP-Pro AP4 CH-41 Interface
Net Audio ANC Bypass

JL Audio HD 750/1
JL Audio XD 600/6v2

2 x JL Audio C2 3.5” Coax - Dash
4 x JL Audio C2 6x9 Coax - 4 Doors

JL 12W7AE in a small sealed box. This fit between the back of the center console and the rear seat in the 2014, but it won’t fit in the same area on the new truck. My plan is to install it as is for now behind the drivers seat with the small rear seat flipped up. I rarely have back seat passengers and can pull the box out easily if needed.

Sound Skin (50 sq ft)

I have a few questions. I have read most of the posts out there and did some searches, but a lot of this I could not find.

Does anyone have the factory guide on any of the following....
full rear seat removal (Limited w/ heated and cooled seats)
Front Seat removal
Center console removal

I feel pretty good about the door panels, but if there is any info on removing the inner panel that would be nice too.

If you have any warnings about airbags, sensors, expensive or fragile doodads, etc that I may encounter during a complete interior tear down, let me know. Plan to remove negative battery cable for a while before starting.

Lots of videos on youtube for 4th gen stuff, but nothing for 5th gen.

Im sure I can figure most of this out, but its always so much easier to have a guide to prevent the inevitable missteps along the way.

I will be sure to document my progress. Thanks for any assistance.

Last edited:

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just to clarify you’re only replacing (6) speakers correct ?

sparkygreen

Reaction score
Just to clarify you’re only replacing (6) speakers correct ?
Correct. I found that 6 worked well in the 2014. I will disconnect the others. In the future I may go with an active setup with 3-way up front, but for now Im trying to work with what I have so there is not a lot of added cost.

Thanks!

PorBoy

Reaction score
I’ll be going with a 2 way active front paired with (2) shallow mount 12” subs and Helix for my processor.

sparkygreen

Reaction score
I’ll be going with a 2 way active front paired with (2) shallow mount 12” subs and Helix for my processor.
That sounds good. Which subs? I figure I will eventually do something under seat.
I like the helix stuff, probably what I will go with if I ever go active.

PorBoy

Reaction score
I’m using Stereo Integrity and also I have the Director to use for my Helix to control my settings.

sparkygreen

Reaction score
Stereo Integrity makes good stuff. They aren't far from me in NC.

PorBoy

Reaction score
I used to travel to N.C twice a month to visit our daughter in college. Due to this epidemic she’s back home with us. I ordered a sub from S.I back in October and am still waiting lol. No worries as I’m know that he’s a one man operation and stuff happens. I currently have one sub from hi already and if worse comes to it, I’ll run a single 12”.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thats all a good plan will sound AWSOME one suggestion from using JL myself would be that XD amp being upgraded to HD, the HD has way more detailed sound and punch. I usually save money by using a less capable amp on the subs. Not less power, but can be less quality for sure. Go for it as what your doing would be night and day compared to stock

sparkygreen

Reaction score
Thats all a good plan will sound AWSOME one suggestion from using JL myself would be that XD amp being upgraded to HD, the HD has way more detailed sound and punch. I usually save money by using a less capable amp on the subs. Not less power, but can be less quality for sure. Go for it as what your doing would be night and day compared to stock

Thanks for the input. I dont think they have an HD 6 channel. At least without going to RX/VX super high end. For coax speakers the XD has worked great. If I ever go active with a DSP im sure I will end up with different amps.

Dep668

Reaction score
I'm just about to start redoing everything on my 19 Sport as well. Not much else to do nowadays.

Dep668

Reaction score
I used to travel to N.C twice a month to visit our daughter in college. Due to this epidemic she’s back home with us. I ordered a sub from S.I back in October and am still waiting lol. No worries as I’m know that he’s a one man operation and stuff happens. I currently have one sub from hi already and if worse comes to it, I’ll run a single 12”.

What sub are you waiting on? Curious. I'm torn on what 12" to put under seat of my Ram. Not a ton of room under there.

PorBoy

Reaction score
Nick the owner of Stereo Integrity was doing a revised version of my current 12” sub from him. He was taking preorders and since he’s always done right by me, I jumped on that. It was supposed to be completed and shipped in January but stuff happens. I’m in no rush and I’ve personally spoken to him about me being patient. No there’s not a lot of room at all but that space can still readily accommodate (2) 12” subs that do not require a lot of volume. It’s funny as in my show car I ran a single 15” subwoofer that required 250lbs worth of bracing. Yet when running you hardly saw the cone moving lol.

PorBoy

Reaction score
SQL-12 12” Dual 4ohm subwoofer on Stereo Integrity website.

sparkygreen

Reaction score
Install pics from driver's rear door.

First time pulling the outer panel off is a bit intense. I was pulling on it so hard it really felt like it was about to break in half. As mentioned in other posts you really have to give it a forceful yank and also it helps push the door open at the same time you yank to get some counter force going.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Install pics from driver's rear door.

First time pulling the outer panel off is a bit intense. I was pulling on it so hard it really felt like it was about to break in half. As mentioned in other posts you really have to give it a forceful yank and also it helps push the door open at the same time you yank to get some counter force going.

Nice job! Did you take any pics of the front door? I still need to do my front doors and I’m curious to see the area for the 3.5’s in the upper part of the front door. I think I saw somewhere the panel needs to be modified slightly to get the same 3.5’s as the dash to fit there.

sparkygreen

Reaction score
I'm taking my time and that is the only door Ive done so far. Next will be the other rear door, followed by fronts. I may get a few hours in today, assuming we dodge the rain.

When I get to the fronts I will be sure to post photos.

Thanks!

sparkygreen

Reaction score
Nice job! Did you take any pics of the front door? I still need to do my front doors and I’m curious to see the area for the 3.5’s in the upper part of the front door. I think I saw somewhere the panel needs to be modified slightly to get the same 3.5’s as the dash to fit there.

Here is a shot of the front door 3.5" speaker depth. There is not much room at all. You need something with a 1"-1-1/8" mounting depth if possible. I have JL 3.5" for the dash and they were WAY too big to fit in the door.

I added photos of the 3.5" mounted in the door. There is zero room behind it.

Last edited:

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is a shot of the front door 3.5" speaker depth. There is not much room at all. You need something with a 1"-1-1/8" mounting depth if possible. I have JL 3.5" for the dash and they were WAY too big to fit in the door.

Thanks for the pictures, greatly appreciated!

Ellisstrong

Reaction score

Did you make it any further on your project?
Also, I see you left your window up but it seems like most pics I see of this process they have the window down. Is there a reason to do one over the other?

Users who are viewing this thread