5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rattle under load sounds like rattle can or metallic clicking sound

HelixRam12

Reaction score
2021 Ram 1500 4x4, 50K KM

This noise has been bugging me for some time now. The dealer replaced both manifolds (which was not the issue). My bumper-to-bumper warranty has ended.

The sound only happens under 2-4K RPM acceleration; you hear a rattle sound. The sound is almost like a rattle can. It’s hard to describe. The sound does not occur in neutral or park when revving the engine. Even if you have it in drive, hold the brake, and give gas, you don’t get the sound.

The dealer and I have checked for heat shields and loose exhaust, but nothing seems loose. I have taken a mallet to the catalytic converters to see if something is loose, and they seem solid.

They replaced the manifolds, lower control arms and upper arms but could not find this issue. Or just chose to ignore it after.

Surely I cannot be the only that has this sound.

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
Pre-ignition (detonation), caused by using low octane fuel. Especially in hotter climates. Make sure you’re using 89 or higher. Or, the fueling station you’re using has bad gas.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Pre-ignition (detonation), caused by using low octane fuel. Especially in hotter climates. Make sure you’re using 89 or higher. Or, the fueling station you’re using has bad gas.
This ^^^

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Unfortunately that only clears it up so much. Some get lucky but my truck pings on 91 as well. Not noticeable in day to day driving but towing it still shows up too much.

Probably needs a tune as well to dial down the timing a little. I just haven't gotten around to it.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would try running a tank or two of 91 octane and see if the rattle goes away or subsides. If it does, it is detonation knock and you need to have your knock sensor system checked out. Even running low octane fuel you should not hear detonation knock as your knock sensors should have sensed it and retarded the timing to eliminate it.

It's also possible to have a bad ignition component like spark plugs that contribute to detonation knock. You should be able to run 87 octane fuel without every hearing detonation knock. I have in all 4 Hemi's I've owned.

silver billet

Reaction score
I would try running a tank or two of 91 octane and see if the rattle goes away or subsides. If it does, it is detonation knock and you need to have your knock sensor system checked out. Even running low octane fuel you should not hear detonation knock as your knock sensors should have sensed it and retarded the timing to eliminate it.

It's also possible to have a bad ignition component like spark plugs that contribute to detonation knock. You should be able to run 87 octane fuel without every hearing detonation knock. I have in all 4 Hemi's I've owned.

Nope, both my and my brother's truck have done it from day one. Some people just don't hear it, or they live in a different region (better gas, different elevation, humidity, temperatures etc, they all effect ping).

If you read the manual it will say that some amount of ping is normal.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Filled the tank with 91 and after a quarter tank the sound did go away. That’s crazy that it won’t accept 87.

It should accept 87 octane without hearing detonation knock. I've run 87 in 4 different hemi Rams in every imaginable condition and never heard detonation knock in any of them.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A rattle that sounds like a rattle can is not light knocking and is not normal with 87.

silver billet

Reaction score
Filled the tank with 91 and after a quarter tank the sound did go away. That’s crazy that it won’t accept 87.

It does "accept it". Your engine won't blow, but obviously it's happier on 91. Some guys here are just in denial. I run 91 full time, it is what is.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
As Silver Billet stated, so many variables could be effecting how your engine is reacting to the fuel in your area. I also run 91 octane, but that's because Costco doesn't offer 89 and their 91 is cheaper than other stations 87.

I think I ran 87 in the past with no issues (however I'm not very sound sensitive, I could easily miss my engine pinging). But since 91 meets or exceeds the recommendation of 89, I go with that instead, especially for Top Tier rated Costco prices.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The manual states "light knocking" is not a concern, but heavy knocking is. So both right?
Any audible knocking is bad for the engine. By the time it gets bad enough to hear, damage is already being done in the combustion chsmber

SD Rebel

Reaction score
How long is it before light knocking becomes heavy knocking?

Yeah not normal, can't believe they print that nonsense

I have no ear for pinging, no idea what it even sounds like. That's why I use 91 (or 89 if as cheap as Costco 91) :)

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have no ear for pinging, no idea what it even sounds like. That's why I use 91 (or 89 if as cheap as Costco 91) :)

You don't need to have an ear for it. When it sounds like a rattle can you will hear it unless completely deaf. Most people don't know what it sounds like because it is an abnormal condition, even if running 87 octane in a hemi. Back when points and plugs were only good for about 30,000 miles, detonation knock was a sure sign you needed a tune up.

Users who are viewing this thread