5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rattle under load sounds like rattle can or metallic clicking sound

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You don't need to have an ear for it. When it sounds like a rattle can you will hear it unless completely deaf. Most people don't know what it sounds like because it is an abnormal condition, even if running 87 octane in a hemi. Back when points and plugs were only good for about 30,000 miles, detonation knock was a sure sign you needed a tune up.
I think certain frequencies I don't really hear very well anymore, I blame it on my days in the Army

But I remember in many occasions people hearing light pinging that I didn't notice, I think the key word is "light pinging", I think I just don't hear it very well, especially in newer more insulated vehicles.

I'm sure heavy pinging I can probably pick up.

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
Filled the tank with 91 and after a quarter tank the sound did go away. That’s crazy that it won’t accept 87.

So glad this solved your issue 💪💪

I used to live in Houston and just moved to New Orleans about a year ago. Both hot humid climates (especially right now, LOL)! I tried 87 once or twice when I first got the truck and absolutely heard the pinging (rattle can) during heavy acceleration in Summertime. I’ve NEVER heard pinging while using 89. No reason to waste the extra money on 91, unless 89 is not available in your area 😉

Ruben-Ram5th 1500

Reaction score
2021 Ram 1500 4x4, 50K KM

This noise has been bugging me for some time now. The dealer replaced both manifolds (which was not the issue). My bumper-to-bumper warranty has ended.

The sound only happens under 2-4K RPM acceleration; you hear a rattle sound. The sound is almost like a rattle can. It’s hard to describe. The sound does not occur in neutral or park when revving the engine. Even if you have it in drive, hold the brake, and give gas, you don’t get the sound.

The dealer and I have checked for heat shields and loose exhaust, but nothing seems loose. I have taken a mallet to the catalytic converters to see if something is loose, and they seem solid.

They replaced the manifolds, lower control arms and upper arms but could not find this issue. Or just chose to ignore it after.

Surely I cannot be the only that has this sound.
In my case, it was the tip of the exhaust touching the bumper. I just bent it down a little, and the rattle was gone.

Users who are viewing this thread