5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rapid flash brake lights.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So has anyone used rapid flash led bulbs or the rapid flash module to get the brake lights to strobe 4 times then solid when the brakes are applied? Interested to see if anyone has done it and which route they went. Bulbs or module.

kzielu

Reaction score
They're the lamest thing ever. I bought an elantra few years back that came with it (it was a deal add on that I didn't pay for of course) - it was the first thing I removed once I got home - it's a $2 piece of electronics tapped into 3rd brake light wiring.

netshadoe

Reaction score
I know it‘s an option you can enable in the TazerDT, but I never enabled it.

I had never seen a car or truck with this option.. Motorcycles, yes. But then I went on a trip to Florida and saw them everywhere south of about North Carolina. Is it a southern state thing in the US? It was weird. And I agree with the posts above…highly distracting.

tech97elec

Reaction score
Agree with all of you, extremely annoying driving behind that crap and ill pass as soon as i notice. Especially when they drive and tap brakes for no apparent reason going down an empty road.

And.... if its raining you dont need your emergency flashers either!!! How can you possibly signal for a turn or lane change?

😆😆

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Flashing brake lights are illegal, at least in MD.
Strobing third brake light while main ones burn steady is a different story entirely. It is an enhanced safety feature IMO and am looking into my options on how to go about doing it.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Flashing brake lights are illegal, at least in MD.
Strobing third brake light while main ones burn steady is a different story entirely. It is an enhanced safety feature IMO and am looking into my options on how to go about doing it.
Third brake light is all I’m looking for too. But I don’t see spending $329 on a tazer to do so.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Third brake light is all I’m looking for too. But I don’t see spending $329 on a tazer to do so.
There's so much more to the TazerDT that makes it more than worth it's cost for me. They didn't even have that feature when I got mine but as soon as it was available, was the first thing I enabled

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Third brake light, CHMSL, flashing is a great safety feature. Most Toyotas sold have it enabled, at least in Nebraska. It brings attention to other drivers you have hit your brakes. Did a road trip with a few other Ram owners a couple years ago, right after TazerDT enabled the feature. They all commented about how nice it was. When driving for long periods with cruise engaged, you kind of get in a trance, and it alerted them I was slowing down.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Third brake light, CHMSL, flashing is a great safety feature. Most Toyotas sold have it enabled, at least in Nebraska. It brings attention to other drivers you have hit your brakes. Did a road trip with a few other Ram owners a couple years ago, right after TazerDT enabled the feature. They all commented about how nice it was. When driving for long periods with cruise engaged, you kind of get in a trance, and it alerted them I was slowing down.

It's typically an add on by dealerships.

8f3930bbd98459dae7d63dff4f5513bc.jpg

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can't you just change the bulb?

I replaced my CHMSL incandescent bulbs with Lasfit LEDs last weekend. The third brake light is only one bulb.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sure, but you would want a red LED for third brake light bulb, not white. And with the issues some have with LED bulbs interfering with the RF hub and push button start, I like my TazerDT option better.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sure, but you would want a red LED for third brake light bulb, not white. And with the issues some have with LED bulbs interfering with the RF hub and push button start, I like my TazerDT option better.
I read on one of the reviews that the RED bulbs are dimmer than the white, plus the lens is already red. The OEM incandescent bulb is also white-ish. I'm not sure if the bulb color would matter.

I've read up on all the threads about the RF interference of certain LED bulbs. A lot of people has recommended the Lasfit to not interfere, that's why I'm using it. I'll report if it does. I wonder if the single third brake light bulb would cause the inteference.

Unfortunately, I only have AlfaOBD.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I read on one of the reviews that the RED bulbs are dimmer than the white, plus the lens is already red. The OEM incandescent bulb is also white-ish. I'm not sure if the bulb color would matter.

I've read up on all the threads about the RF interference of certain LED bulbs. A lot of people has recommended the Lasfit to not interfere, that's why I'm using it. I'll report if it does. I wonder if the single third brake light bulb would cause the inteference.

Unfortunately, I only have AlfaOBD.
Incandescent light and LED light are completely different. The lens acts as a filter. If you use a white LED behind a red lens, you will have less visible light output than if using a red LED. Incandescent bulbs emit all colors of the spectrum where as LEDs emit only the color of the LED.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The CHMSL is supposed to be an additional lamp that should not be a distraction. Under federal law, a flashing third brake light is illegal.

From the NHTSA:
After the vehicle is sold, Federal law prohibits any manufacturer, dealer, distributor, or motor vehicle repair business from installing the sensor to modify the performance of the third brake light and cause it to flash.

Federal law states that brake lights are to engage a continuous, solid red light when the pedal is applied. Flashing red is only allowed for turn signals.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Incandescent light and LED light are completely different. The lens acts as a filter. If you use a white LED behind a red lens, you will have less visible light output than if using a red LED. Incandescent bulbs emit all colors of the spectrum where as LEDs emit only the color of the LED.
Good to know (y)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The CHMSL is supposed to be an additional lamp that should not be a distraction. Under federal law, a flashing third brake light is illegal.

From the NHTSA:
After the vehicle is sold, Federal law prohibits any manufacturer, dealer, distributor, or motor vehicle repair business from installing the sensor to modify the performance of the third brake light and cause it to flash.

Federal law states that brake lights are to engage a continuous, solid red light when the pedal is applied. Flashing red is only allowed for turn signals.
I wouldn't call a flashing third brake light a distraction, as it would bring attention to the vehicle in front of you. Emergency vehicles have flashing lights for a reason

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I wouldn't call a flashing third brake light a distraction, as it would bring attention to the vehicle in front of you. Emergency vehicles have flashing lights for a reason
It's an extreme distraction.
You don't know if the person is breaking hard or letting their foot off the brake.

Can easily cause an accident at highway speeds if you slam on your brakes the person behind you can go right into you as they think you are stopping hitting the brakes.
The front car could be at fault for having a faulty brake light causing incorrect signals to the vehicles behind them.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's an extreme distraction.
You don't know if the person is breaking hard or letting their foot off the brake.

Can easily cause an accident at highway speeds if you slam on your brakes the person behind you can go right into you as they think you are stopping hitting the brakes.
The front car could be at fault for having a faulty brake light causing incorrect signals to the vehicles behind them.
Personal experience, I think I actually posted this story already, long road trip with other Ram owners. They both said how nice it was for me to have the pulsing third brake light when I hit my brakes as it brought more attention to me braking and they were able to react quicker to me slowing down. Especially when traffic in front of me slowed quickly

Users who are viewing this thread