5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rant about dealers and demo cars

RedFred

Reaction score
I went to a dealership today to check out a 1500 Limited. It was optioned exactly the way I wanted, except the color wasn't my first choice. But since it was optioned correctly, I decided I would compromise on color choice and try to make a deal. I go to the dealership and of course salesman can't find the truck. Leaves and comes back saying he has good news and bad news. Good news is the truck is still available, bad news is it's not at the dealership because the dealership owner's adult son has been driving the truck as a demo and it currently has 5500 miles on it. WTF! Why would I want to spend $70k to buy a new truck that someone else has put over 5k miles on it? Imo, that is a used truck. Salesman keeps trying to explain that it's still a new truck. To me, just because I am the first owner on paper, doesn't mean the truck isn't used. Best part is, they were still trying to sell it for MSRP. Salesman said that they usually mark their trucks $2500 above sticker, but since it's a demo, they would sell for sticker price. Ah, no thanks. I guess the search for my next Ram continues. Would anyone be ok with this? Buying a demo model with no reasonable discount attached? I know they sell eventually, but I can't get over the fact that I've purchased used cars with less miles on them.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Ha! That's ridiculous. I don't even know what else to say about that lol. I would def not pay anywhere near what msrp was on a "new" truck that had 5k on it already. I agree that is a used vehicle.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Lol what a moron.

My Subaru dealer does this, uses them for demos and loaners. At 5k they do a full service and add a certified pre owned extra warranty onto it and sell it at a really good discount.

It’s how I bought my last three “new” Subarus.

They should be knocking 10k off that price. At least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would buy it… but not for MSRP it would have to be discounted accordingly then u would decide if it’s worth buying or just going actually new. Years ago I worked at a Subaru dealership it wasn’t uncommon for the owner to drive a new vehicle let’s say 3k-5k miles or so then sell it on the lot but it was also discounted as much and wasn’t MSRP, folks usually didn’t mind and would enjoy the discount but to each his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's 1 dealer, why would they be selling over sticker still? We have 15 Ram 1500s on our lot as of this morning. The black BTS looks amazing.

I will say most of the new trucks are Bighorns with few options.

RedFred

Reaction score
Even though it has 5500 miles on it, it still gets sold as a "new" car from the dealership. I am not looking for a demo, but ok, if you are trying to sell me a demo car, it better come with a pretty good discount to make it worth it and for me to consider it.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Even though it has 5500 miles on it, it still gets sold as a "new" car from the dealership. I am not looking for a demo, but ok, if you are trying to sell me a demo car, it better come with a pretty good discount to make it worth it and for me to consider it.
find another dealer

RedFred

Reaction score
find another dealer
Trust me, this is not my dealer. They just happened to have a truck optioned the way I wanted. Finding the right truck has been difficult thus far.

U

User_3336

Seen this scenario multiple times here . . . . Sales manager driving a new truck, or it was loaned out to a "business customer".
Many times these vehicles are entered into a "demo program". Miles and time is limited, then it has to be taken out of the program.
BUT . . . . . Because its never been titled, it still sells as "NEW", and the warranty starts at what ever time and miles it exits the demo program. (not necessarily a CPO program).
HOWEVER, there is a substantial discount on these demo vehicles. The dealer discounts it deeply because the manufacturer gives the dealer back money for being a demo.

Not sure this vehicle was entered into the demo program or not, but its insane because there is no discount being offered.

Hell, there are 20 Rams on one dealer's lots, mostly Big Horns, $5000 discount from the dealer, and what ever rebates FCA is offering at the moment. NO REASON for any dealer to be selling with any market adjustment markup or @ MSRP.

Find another truck and/or dealer!!!

RedFred

Reaction score
Seen this scenario multiple times here . . . . Sales manager driving a new truck, or it was loaned out to a "business customer".
Many times these vehicles are entered into a "demo program". Miles and time is limited, then it has to be taken out of the program.
BUT . . . . . Because its never been titled, it still sells as "NEW", and the warranty starts at what ever time and miles it exits the demo program. (not necessarily a CPO program).
HOWEVER, there is a substantial discount on these demo vehicles. The dealer discounts it deeply because the manufacturer gives the dealer back money for being a demo.

Not sure this vehicle was entered into the demo program or not, but its insane because there is no discount being offered.

Hell, there are 20 Rams on one dealer's lots, mostly Big Horns, $5000 discount from the dealer, and what ever rebates FCA is offering at the moment. NO REASON for any dealer to be selling with any market adjustment markup or @ MSRP.

Find another truck and/or dealer!!!

The salesman said the owner's son, who is a police officer, had and was driving the truck. I'm not sure if it was entered into the Demo program.

Here in NJ, I haven't been able to get $5k off sticker. Most are still sticker or very close to sticker price. At least on Laramie's and Limited's.

Wh0urdady2

Reaction score
I wouldn’t buy it as new considering that’s the break in period not knowing how it was driven. Hearing it was the owners son makes me think they ran it hard.

RedFred

Reaction score
I wouldn’t buy it as new considering that’s the break in period not knowing how it was driven. Hearing it was the owners son makes me think they ran it hard.

Yeah, I agree. It didn't sound like it was a kid driving it since he is a police officer, but his profession makes me think the car was not being babied either since traffic laws don't pertain to most police, even when off duty.

Burnzie

Reaction score
The local Dodge dealership in my town does this all the time, new Scat-pac comes in, go to look at it after work,sorry management took it home. A used 3/4 ton comes in same deal maybe try back on Saturday they say.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Look around at other dealers, some aren't putting much in terms of incentives, some are putting big bucks on incentives.

In this market, I still wouldn't touch a new vehicle for sticker, trust me, the 15% - 25% off MSRP is coming back, sooner than likely expected.

RedFred

Reaction score
The local Dodge dealership in my town does this all the time, new Scat-pac comes in, go to look at it after work,sorry management took it home. A used 3/4 ton comes in same deal maybe try back on Saturday they say.
If I'm looking at a Scat Pack, there is no way I am happy with people taking the car home and going for joy rides. You can almost guarantee that car is not being driven lightly.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I worked at a dealership years back and there was always a few “demo” vehicles that were driven by upper management. They would let the lot porters drive them to pick up lunch, drop someone off to pickup dealer trades and run various errands. They were not driven lightly.

RedFred

Reaction score
Look around at other dealers, some aren't putting much in terms of incentives, some are putting big bucks on incentives.

In this market, I still wouldn't touch a new vehicle for sticker, trust me, the 15% - 25% off MSRP is coming back, sooner than likely expected.

I agree. I'm definitely not willing to pay sticker price. The only other determining factor is my trade in. The dealership nearest me was offering me sticker price minus a $1k incentive. Not good at all, but they almost made up for it by offering me a very good value on my trade in. I asked for a little more off the new truck on their end, but the fact that they wouldn't budge at all from their sticker price, broke the deal for me and I walked.

U

User_3336

Must depend on the market. Like I said here in TN, dealers offering $6,000 a Big Horn without even having to ask.
Note: Huge discounts appear to be applied to Big Horn trim levels only.

Limited's and Laramies were not discounted, and there were no rebates.
22BH.jpg

RedFred

Reaction score
that is why people are ordering from places like mark dodge

I had reached out to Mark Dodge. They are still an option. Wish they were closer though. It's sad that dealers all the way in NJ, NY, and PA can lose business to a dealership over 1400 miles away. It's basically greed. I'm not even asking for Mark Dodge discounts, even half of what MD is discounting and I would have a deal already. This will be my 3rd Ram. The local dealer that I go to for service, is always asking me why didn't I buy the truck from them? I always try to give them my business first because it would be convenient for me, but they never come through with a decent deal. Now this will be the 3rd time they struck out and failed to get me to purchase a truck from them. That's not a good batting average and also sad. You have a repeat costumer to the RAM brand and you just let him get away every time.

Users who are viewing this thread