5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rant about dealers and demo cars

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had reached out to Mark Dodge. They are still an option. Wish they were closer though. It's sad that dealers all the way in NJ, NY, and PA can lose business to a dealership over 1400 miles away. It's basically greed. I'm not even asking for Mark Dodge discounts, even half of what MD is discounting and I would have a deal already. This will be my 3rd Ram. The local dealer that I go to for service, is always asking me why didn't I buy the truck from them? I always try to give them my business first because it would be convenient for me, but they never come through with a decent deal. Now this will be the 3rd time they struck out and failed to get me to purchase a truck from them. That's not a good batting average and also sad. You have a repeat costumer to the RAM brand and you just let him get away every time.
same story. first time ram buyer but my local dealer somehow got in contact with me (maybe i accidentally left my info on their site) and asked me to "come in for a test drive and we can talk numbers." Told them I'm looking to factory order, which they said they can do that for me.
Then, I asked what kind of discount they can give me, and they said none. No one in my area's offering anything below sticker plus tax and fees. So I said "very well, I'll just go ahead and order one with 12% off msrp" and they didn't believe I could do that. I then sent them my order sheet and told them "y'all could've got my business but good luck suckering someone else!"
few days later they sent me an email asking me if i bought my truck yet and why i chose someone else. LOL

edit: I ended up ordering from Mark Dodge as Koon's cannot sell to Commiefornia.

U

User_3336

I had reached out to Mark Dodge. They are still an option. Wish they were closer though. It's sad that dealers all the way in NJ, NY, and PA can lose business to a dealership over 1400 miles away. It's basically greed. I'm not even asking for Mark Dodge discounts, even half of what MD is discounting and I would have a deal already. This will be my 3rd Ram. The local dealer that I go to for service, is always asking me why didn't I buy the truck from them? I always try to give them my business first because it would be convenient for me, but they never come through with a decent deal. Now this will be the 3rd time they struck out and failed to get me to purchase a truck from them. That's not a good batting average and also sad. You have a repeat costumer to the RAM brand and you just let him get away every time.
Its pure dealer greed there. Proof is there great deals can be had. If one dealer can offer $6,000 off a RAM, the other one can as well. And you know that dealer isn't losing money.

Ram-a-Kin

Reaction score
Since you are in Jersey (what exit? 😜) check out dealers in VA, I believe Koons is one that have offered nice discounts in the past).

RedFred

Reaction score
Since you are in Jersey (what exit? 😜) check out dealers in VA, I believe Koons is one that have offered nice discounts in the past).

I was already looking into Koons. May give them a chance. They are only a little over 4 hours away.

Good one about "what exit?" 😆

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Off topic, dig the Monster Beetle. I put together a Black Foot a couple years ago, kit was almost the same as it was in the 80's

RedFred

Reaction score
Off topic, dig the Monster Beetle. I put together a Black Foot a couple years ago, kit was almost the same as it was in the 80's

Cool! I have a BlackFoot also. That was the RC truck I had as a kid. When they re-released them I picked up both. Also have a Lunchbox still in the box. Never got around to putting it together. (y)

monza2t

Reaction score
What a joke. Yes that truck would have an MSO assigned to you so its "new" on paper but its used... should be discounted accordingly.

While not a Ram, we got the wife's Volvo that was a demo / dealer manager driven model for $15k off original MSRP. It was a year old and had 8k miles on it. We got the MSO but it was priced like a used car as it should be.

RedFred

Reaction score
What a joke. Yes that truck would have an MSO assigned to you so its "new" on paper but its used... should be discounted accordingly.

While not a Ram, we got the wife's Volvo that was a demo / dealer manager driven model for $15k off original MSRP. It was a year old and had 8k miles on it. We got the MSO but it was priced like a used car as it should be.

If they offered me $15k off MSRP I would have made the deal instantly. I'm still shaking my head, I can't believe they didn't even try to make up for the fact that they put over 5500 miles on it. Well, that dealership is crossed off my list. Won't be going back.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sadly weird times that we’re in right now.. someone else will probably ended up buying it and paying MSRP for it, with the chip shortage still an issue and demand at an all time high right now. Few years ago a dealer wouldn’t dare ask MSRP for a demo vehicle knowing unless the potential buying was set on walking away with it right then and their they would have to discount it or lose the sale but then again some stick to just buying from their local dealer knowing or not knowing how much cheaper they can get it for if they shop out of state or order through one of the discounted higher volume dealers available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

U

User_3336

Sadly weird times that we’re in right now.. someone else will probably ended up buying it and paying MSRP for it, with the chip shortage still an issue and demand at an all time high right now. Few years ago a dealer wouldn’t dare ask MSRP for a demo vehicle knowing unless the potential buying was set on walking away with it right then and their they would have to discount it or lose the sale but then again some stick to just buying from their local dealer knowing or not knowing how much cheaper they can get it for if they shop out of state or order through one of the discounted higher volume dealers available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That is the longest sentence in any message thread on here! LOLOL I've love to see that sentence diagrammed! :->

Quint

Reaction score
A few years back my wife wanted a BMW. It's one instance where I put my foot in the ground about not owning one. She ended up leasing a demo car with 5k miles on it. She got a good discount on it and the warranty started with her lease. We then bought it and traded it in on a new Audi.

I was skeptical about the demo car, because as others said, they get the snot beat out of them. I would never buy a demo and own it beyond the warranty. I also wouldn't buy it without a good discount. It's a suckers purchase for the most part and they are just looking to see if it'll be you.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was already looking into Koons. May give them a chance. They are only a little over 4 hours away.

Good one about "what exit?" 😆
Criswell in Maryland was giving decent deals, too, not sure how their pricing is now. They were (are?) a site sponsor.

RedFred

Reaction score
Another update. I have been home on vacation this week so I have been trying to visit a few dealers to make a deal and get a truck. I went to another dealer today in NJ (Rt46 in Little Falls). They had a couple of Laramie's and a Linited that I was willing to consider. Sat down with the saleswoman, she said if I am purchasing and not leasing, that all there cars and trucks are marked up anywhere from $5-$10k over sticker. She left to double check with the manager, and came back with all RAM's are $5k over sticker. She said if I wanted to lease, they would wave the mark up. Well that was over quickly. Said thanks anyway and left. 🤬

U

User_3336

Another update. I have been home on vacation this week so I have been trying to visit a few dealers to make a deal and get a truck. I went to another dealer today in NJ (Rt46 in Little Falls). They had a couple of Laramie's and a Linited that I was willing to consider. Sat down with the saleswoman, she said if I am purchasing and not leasing, that all there cars and trucks are marked up anywhere from $5-$10k over sticker. She left to double check with the manager, and came back with all RAM's are $5k over sticker. She said if I wanted to lease, they would wave the mark up. Well that was over quickly. Said thanks anyway and left. 🤬
On to the next dealer. The trim levels you are looking at just aren't yielding any discounts (or rebates) now.

Step down to a BIG HORN and you'll probably see all kinds of discounts.

RedFred

Reaction score
On to the next dealer. The trim levels you are looking at just aren't yielding any discounts (or rebates) now.

Step down to a BIG HORN and you'll probably see all kinds of discounts.

I have a 2015 Laramie right now. Interior wise, it's very similar to the newer 5th gen Laramie's. Definitely don't want to take a step down. I would possibly consider a Big Horn Built to Serve Edition, but the few that are close to me are not optioned anywhere near what I would want. Keeping my current truck a little longer is always an option too, so if I can't get something I like, I would just keep driving my current truck.

Users who are viewing this thread