5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Randomly Shut Off

Tombstone74

Reaction score
Hello everyone, new user here hopefully trying to find some answers.

2019 Laramie Quad Cab Long Bed with eTorque 100k miles.

I have babied this truck. It does not get mistreated.

I left work yesterday and used the remote start like I normally do, got in the truck and pushed my push button start so the truck was "normally on"

Put it in reverse and maybe got 6 inches and the truck just shut off and threw itself in park. I heard a "tick" on the dash and saw a warning light come up but I didn't catch it soon enough to recognize what it was.

I tried to start it again and it would only come up with the "Put foot on brake pedal and press start button" message on the dash, which I was doing.

Ended up tinkering around pulling the negative off for a couple mins and back on, still the same thing. I decided to leave it off overnight to see if that would help reset whatever the issue may have been.

To my surprise (sarcasm) it didn't fix it. Now, however, only my interior lights are working and I am not getting any messages on the dash.

I'm curious if anyone has had a similar issue, and if so what was done to resolve it. I don't believe it's keyfob battery, or my trucks battery as I never got either warning light but this wouldn't be the first time technology has failed me.

Trying to avoid a tow and countless $$'s thrown at it, appreciate the help
EDIT: Ended up that I had kicked a connection loose underneath the dash. Dealer charged me $437 to plug it back in, but the tow is included in that price. I figure it did take a couple hours to trace everything out, said it had 30 something codes when they scanned it. Truck is alive! That's all that matters

Last edited:

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My first guess would be that your regular (not eTorque) battery is getting weak. These DT trucks are infamous for being sensitive to voltage. There are tons of threads on this forum about weird gremlins that are resolved by replacing the battery (even if it doesn't test as being a "bad" battery).

Tombstone74

Reaction score
My first guess would be that your regular (not eTorque) battery is getting weak. These DT trucks are infamous for being sensitive to voltage. There are tons of threads on this forum about weird gremlins that are resolved by replacing the battery (even if it doesn't test as being a "bad" battery).
Literally just got done replacing battery, still same issue. Checked fuses and all seemed to look good but when testing I was only getting a couple on the test light to read good. Sounds like a bigger issue than I can handle at this point.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Literally just got done replacing battery, still same issue. Checked fuses and all seemed to look good but when testing I was only getting a couple on the test light to read good. Sounds like a bigger issue than I can handle at this point.
what kind of battery
are you sure it is fully charged

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have you had any water leaks lately? Rear window, maybe, or any dampness in the front floorboards?

Another random thought is that there could be a glitch/short in the start button. I've seen a few reports of the start buttons going bad, and that "could" explain why your truck keeps asking you to "Put foot on brake pedal and press start button" even though you're doing that. I assume you can confirm that the brake light comes on when you press the brake.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
also check the rear of your cab carpet to see if its wet and your rear window and also the headliner near the rear window to see if wet

if it is you cojld have water intrusion that fried some.electrinics in the rear like the hub control module

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have you had any water leaks lately? Rear window, maybe, or any dampness in the front floorboards?

Another random thought is that there could be a glitch/short in the start button. I've seen a few reports of the start buttons going bad, and that "could" explain why your truck keeps asking you to "Put foot on brake pedal and press start button" even though you're doing that. I assume you can confirm that the brake light comes on when you press the brake.
lol we posted the same idea at same.time :)

Tombstone74

Reaction score

also check the rear of your cab carpet to see if its wet and your rear window and also the headliner near the rear window to see if wet

if it is you cojld have water intrusion that fried some.electrinics in the rear like the hub control module
No water here recently in Iowa, keep her in the garage overnight.
Haven't had the 3rd light/window leak I think I got lucky. Yes brake light comes on when brake pedal is pressed.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No water here recently in Iowa, keep her in the garage overnight.
Haven't had the 3rd light/window leak I think I got lucky. Yes brake light comes on when brake pedal is pressed.
Then just for giggles, you might pull out the start button and fiddle with the connection. Maybe even "borrow" a start button from a friend (or the dealer) to see if the issue goes away.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yo can try a reset too, unplug one side of bettery, press break pedal 2 -3 times the brake lights will drain remaining power, replug battery amd see if it helps, a few had problems after changing battery that went away after a day or two...

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone, new user here hopefully trying to find some answers.

2019 Laramie Quad Cab Long Bed with eTorque 100k miles.

I have babied this truck. It does not get mistreated.

I left work yesterday and used the remote start like I normally do, got in the truck and pushed my push button start so the truck was "normally on"

Put it in reverse and maybe got 6 inches and the truck just shut off and threw itself in park. I heard a "tick" on the dash and saw a warning light come up but I didn't catch it soon enough to recognize what it was.

I tried to start it again and it would only come up with the "Put foot on brake pedal and press start button" message on the dash, which I was doing.

Ended up tinkering around pulling the negative off for a couple mins and back on, still the same thing. I decided to leave it off overnight to see if that would help reset whatever the issue may have been.

To my surprise (sarcasm) it didn't fix it. Now, however, only my interior lights are working and I am not getting any messages on the dash.

I'm curious if anyone has had a similar issue, and if so what was done to resolve it. I don't believe it's keyfob battery, or my trucks battery as I never got either warning light but this wouldn't be the first time technology has failed me.

Trying to avoid a tow and countless $$'s thrown at it, appreciate the help
Take it to dealer, there is a TSB for this issue

SemperFi

Reaction score
I literally just had this happen today as well. I took it into the dealership and they ran a series of updates and said it should be good to go.

Tombstone74

Reaction score
I literally just had this happen today as well. I took it into the dealership and they ran a series of updates and said it should be good to go.
Hopefully it's that simple for me as well. Will post the update here for other people. Mine is getting towed to the shop tomorrow. Praying it's not something major.

GeorgeA

Reaction score
Tombstone,

I seriously doubt the the issue is your battery.

Please check these other posts and see if the issue identified is similar to yours:

"Engine Shutting down while driving"

"Engine Stalled/Shutoff"

"Ram 1500 GT Shut down while driving almost killed us"

Also....

Does your rear window leak?? Some us think the issue with our vehicles is water intrusion on the RF Hub or e-torque module. Both of those are located behind the rear seat.

I will be very curious to see what the dealer finds and if they are able to duplicate the behavior. the situation has been frustrating for many of us, because this is a very serious issue and no one from Ram seems to know what is causing it.

Synergy26

Reaction score
Tombstone,

I seriously doubt the the issue is your battery.

Please check these other posts and see if the issue identified is similar to yours:

"Engine Shutting down while driving"

"Engine Stalled/Shutoff"

"Ram 1500 GT Shut down while driving almost killed us"

Also....

Does your rear window leak?? Some us think the issue with our vehicles is water intrusion on the RF Hub or e-torque module. Both of those are located behind the rear seat.

I will be very curious to see what the dealer finds and if they are able to duplicate the behavior. the situation has been frustrating for many of us, because this is a very serious issue and no one from Ram seems to know what is causing it.
Do you have any other links or threads areas I can look regarding the RF hub water intrusion issues. Mine is in the shop now for the battery being drained due to the screens remaining on all the time. the dealer thinks its the RF hub having water intrusion due to a read window leak, 3rd time I will have it replaced and I have been without the truck for over 2 weeks.

GeorgeA

Reaction score
The 3 threads I listed in my last email all mention the RF hub or e-Torque module at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread