5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random problems...Ram has no idea

Bdacamano

Reaction score
I have two tangible, but random problems with my truck & on both fronts, Ram seems to have no idea whats going on.

1. On three occasions, when backing our or pulling into my garage my truck has completely stalled out. It throws the check emergency brake warning light and the CEL...restart and all is good again. On the third time, I called the local dealership and they came in for an appointment. They talked to the engineering/5 star team, tested this, that and the other and...nothing. Good luck, hope you don't barrel into something with your kids in the car while parking some day...It's a good thing I took a picture of the dash last time it happened b/c the dealership is saying that there were no fault codes stored from the event. How can a truck stall, throw two warning lights and there are no codes or logs?

2. On three past occasions the music just stopped working-had to go to the dealership twice to get it rebooted and on the third time it randomly came back on after a few days while waiting to get into the dealership. Then, two months ago my 12" screen just went black. If you hit the temp up and down buttons it shows those pop ups but that's it. No music, just a brick. The dealership was able to get it restarted but said it was a bandaid (as there was a fault code in the radio) and ordered a new unit, saying Ram switched to Panasonic as the vendor and all 12" woes will soon be past. It arrived, was installed and seemed fine (apart from for the first hour it didn't read any of the settings of my truck so half of it didn't work ex. no seat cooling, no xm, etc-that one stumped the dealership so the truck went back and sat long enough that it activated). Then a month later, I remote start the truck and it's blacked out again. Three days of it blacked out and then it randomly comes back on. Dealership says there was no fault code in the radio so nothing they can do this time-Ram won't buy the problem. Diagnosis from Ram: Magic.

I am not faulting the dealership-they get me in as promptly as possible and do what they can but it just seems like Ram has NO idea how to solve any of these problems & the "5-Star" team never has an answer. These aren't "do you hear that noise" or "I heard a squeak yesterday and now it's gone" issue-they're objective and tangible. It appears that Ram just wants to replace these 12" screens whenever they go bad which is all well and good (except that it's annoying and a waste of my time sitting at the dealer waiting for it to be fixed) until I go out of warranty and I have to replace a wildly expensive radio every 6 months. And the stalling is clearly a safety issue...

At this point I don't know if I want to buy an extended warranty to insure against some of these problems or just grab a 2021 F150 (which now has a much nicer interior) when my warranty runs out...put Ram in my rear view and never look back. I'm strongly leaning towards the ladder as the liability of a truck that stalls out randomly seems high.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm surprised they didn't tell you about all of the problems they've been having with their 12 inch screen ever since it came out.... before you bought the truck. As far as your stalling out...did it automatically go into park?

Bdacamano

Reaction score
They did say it was an issue but said they thought with Panasonic taking over the manufacturing that it would get better. It hasn't. I could live with the offline searching (which they did fax) etc but it going completely black is problematic.

It did not, dealership tried running down a related star case but it didn't pan out. To their credit, they had a tech on the car for hours but the ram engineers didn't have anything more so I was sent on my way.

NetEagle49

Reaction score
I have the exact same stalling issue you described. It just suddenly started after a failed 12V battery. Truck only has 22k miles on it.

Dealership is clueless. Said all their eTorque trucks do that on the lot. Say what??? So this is apparently not a random problem. Something is broken. First 2 years of ownership I did not have an issue.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the exact same stalling issue you described. It just suddenly started after a failed 12V battery. Truck only has 22k miles on it.

Dealership is clueless. Said all their eTorque trucks do that on the lot. Say what??? So this is apparently not a random problem. Something is broken. First 2 years of ownership I did not have an issue.
Hello @NetEagle49
We certainly agree that this is concerning. Please send our team a private message so that we may escalate a case on your behalf while you are working with your dealer. We would be happy to assist in resolving this for you.

Kathryn
RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread