5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamBoxes: Yes or No

TVANVA

Reaction score
I'd absolutely buy them again, without hesitation.

To me, in a normal bed, the cubbies caused by the protrusion of the wheel wells is mostly wasted space. In my case, I haul a lot of different things in the truck bed, but I don't keep things in there all the time.

The RAMBoxes hold a surprising amount of stuff. So much so that I carry more with me (tools, extension cords, air pump, etc.) than I normally would, and it has saved my bacon many times (as in "Oh, I have a tool to fix that in the truck").

It is wonderful not to have to hit the brakes hard and listen to all that loose stuff sliding out from under the rear seat, or to hear stuff rattling in the back seat on a bumpy road.

Yes, the covers are a bit warped, but it doesn't bother me much, so I never tried to get the dealer to fix it. You can't see the warp from any distance. Never had any problems with leaks, unintended opening, etc.

The only minor drawback I am aware of is that I have a multi section folding bed over that snaps down to a rail. The bed is about 49" wide so a piece of plywood fits just fine, but with those rails, the gap between them is about 47", so I can't throw one piece of plywood in the bed and close the tailgate (to keep the plywood inside) as the rail is just lower than the top of the tailgate. Not really a problem to leave the plywood flat and throw a tiedown around it to keep it in place.

I use my RAMBox much more often than any of the fancy tailgates coming out now.

You know the Chevy commercial running constantly now, with the guy annoying his neighbor about his fancy tailgate that can serve as "Daddy's Office"? I just want to pull up next to him and pull an entire office's worth of equipment out of my RAMBox and set up a real office on the nice flat top of my RAMBox.

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think @mikeru82 basically read my mind. i am in the same boat as him.

I definitely like mine, they hold a good amount of groceries and are super easy to access. alignment is meh, not perfect but not as bad as i've seen others on here report. I have a tow strap and some miscellaneous tools (plenty of extra room for cold gear in case I get stranded in the winter) in one and the other remains empty for whatever I want to put in it.

I've also seen some trick air compressor mounts for inside the ram box. the bed space that you "lose" is more just now accessed from outside the bed. you can still fit 4'x8' sheets in the bed.

to me the best upgrade is the MFT, which i use 99% of the time. it just makes sense.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I opted to not get them because I didn’t like how narrow the bed is with them.
Narrow bed and fear using them to "store" more "things". Have a concern over low lives attempting to break in. Prefer the full tonneau for cosmetics.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Narrow bed and fear using them to "store" more "things". Have a concern over low lives attempting to break in. Prefer the full tonneau for cosmetics.
I get the concern about people breaking into them. And I've heard other people voice those same concerns. The thing is, I have yet to read about that actually happening. It's certainly not a common thing. Otherwise we would have heard about this being an issue.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Love the RamBoxes…they were a must-have option when I ordered my Ram.

Note the the RamBox bed allows for a very strong divider to be installed anywhere from front to back of the bed, unlike the less robust rail-based models.

Also note the the bed width between RamBoxes is as wide as (actually slightly wider than) the space between wheel wells in a standard bed. So sheets of plywood or drywall fit just fine, and anything you’d drive into a standard bed that clears the wheel wells will also fit in a RamBox bed.

I use mine in a similar fashion to @Edwards - part storage, part groceries (or leftovers when coming home from a restaurant and not wanting to smell up the cabin).

Redfour5

Reaction score
Are they worth $1,000?

For those of you that have them, do you have alignment issues, watertight issues? Other issues/likes. I know they impact payload and shrink the bed size. Neither would be an issue for me. So would you order them again? I'm a junkie for storage so they have that appeal to me. Would you order them again?

For those that do not have them, do you regret not ordering them?

Thanks
The Ramboxes and the multi-function tailgate/step and bed utility system (spray in bedliner/divider) were already on the one I got off the lot. I was ambivalent about everything except the spray on bedliner. I think these things are NOT for everyone and I did just fine without them on my previous trucks.. Now after like four months, I absolutely love them. I can still put 4X8 material in the back and have done so. I used to have items like emergency straps, snow stuff, foldable shovel in the back of my old truck in the big black and yellow topped boxes. That worked fine, but now it all fits in the Ramboxes. The divider on the bed utility system is really nice allowing you to divide up the space...easily. I also get the bed extender hardware and have that if I need it as the divider is designed to be the extender. I was fortunate and my Ramboxes are close to perfect on alignment so no problem there. I almost never put the tailgate down now days as the multi-function tailgate is wonderful for getting in and out. Pulling a travel trailer is great with the tailgate. I no longer have to open and hold to keep it from banging the hitch, to get to something in the back. Doing some shopping (small bags, etc.) going to a winery getting a few bottles of wine and the Ramboxes are perfect.

So, in retrospect, I didn't order them and didn't really care one way or the other once I realized I did not need a full bed since most of what I was keeping in the bed fit in the boxes. So, FOR ME, maybe not you or others, but for MY NEEDS, the whole bed set up is a dramatic improvement. I would order them again unless I go for a 2500 to pull a fifth wheel... I've seen them on 2500's and wondered why if there was even a chance of a fifth wheel tow... But FOR THOSE PEOPLE, it must have worked for their needs. Oh, I also found the truxedo cheap cover (300 bucks) that fit and it does at least as well as my old one on my 2015. From 15 feet can't tell difference between it and the thousand dollar units.

Edit: We have dogs and go out to eat and have leftovers. Sometimes after we eat we still want to go places. The choices used to be leave in the truck with a high probability of the dogs getting to the food or leaving in the bed of the truck, forgetting about it and finding it slid all over the place. The Ramboxes are great for leftover from restaurants or something you DON'T want to dogs to get into. And, the chucky ball thrower and balls and dog bowls, leashes and water bottles and dog food go very nicely into Ramboxes... I edited because I had forgotten the "dog" aspect of them...

Last edited:

Redfour5

Reaction score
It really depends on what you carry in your truck bed. I don't tend to carry much. I mainly use the rear 1/3 of the bed, so the ramboxes were perfect for me when combined with the bed divider. Add the MFT and a tonneau cover and it's basically a large adjustable trunk.

View attachment 109294

Many of us have had issues with rambox lid alignment. They can look warped. Mine had that issue as well, but after learning how to adjust the lids it looks a ton better. If you're someone who is bothered by this cosmetic issue you might want to take a look at a few trucks with ramboxes to see if it's something you can live with.
You might want to put a link to instructions on how to "adjust" the Rambox doors. I'm interested... And for those wondering about the step. The first time I used it, I practically had to stand on it to get it to drop. After just a couple of times it is easy peasy and can come in handy but less than you might think. With the Multi-function doors, you can almost reach up to the cab end or close enough...

Redfour5

Reaction score
You would need to buy a DiamondBack Tonneau ($$$) but they do have a batch of accessories.

Save the $$$ on the Ram Box and go with a DiamondBack with appropriate accessories.

This is the inexpensive way to do a tonneau with a Rambox https://truxedo.com/product-detail/284901 No, you will not get 100% watertight, but using the foam tape stuff strategically, I have about 98% including just a couple of spots in a carwash... AND, from 20 feet or so, you can't tell the difference between it and the thousand dollar units unless you look real close. AND, it is easy to put on with the bed utility system sliding right onto the slide brackets. You only need a second person for about thirty seconds to get it into the brackets.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You might want to put a link to instructions on how to "adjust" the Rambox doors. I'm interested... And for those wondering about the step. The first time I used it, I practically had to stand on it to get it to drop. After just a couple of times it is easy peasy and can come in handy but less than you might think. With the Multi-function doors, you can almost reach up to the cab end or close enough...
Link to what instructions? I figured it out for myself LOL.

Redfour5

Reaction score
This is a pretty good video on the Rambox and utility management system. I also notice he has the Truxsport inexpensive tonneau (300 buck).

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

This dates back to 2018 but should still be valid:
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/faq-how-to-adjust-remove-ramboxes.2530/

jgmac98

Reaction score
interested in the steps followed for adjusting.

Coming from an F150 with 2 kids in car seats, the ram boxes were one of the reasons we made the switch, seems like so much more usable storage. For the most part my truck is a city truck or we pull a bumper pull trailer each summer, so I don't mind the "smaller" bed anyway.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Thanks, very helpful!!
Oh for those looking for an inexpensive but decent looking tonneau, look at 1:55 into the video. That is a Tuxedo Truxport tonneau cover for $299 bucks. I have one on my 21 WITH the multi-function tailgate. Works well looks decent.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This was my first Ram with the boxes ....I'll never own another one that doesn't have them. I have no issues with water getting into mine. I keep a lot of my wiring tools in mine. Only "issue" I have, which isn't really an issue at all, is I have to shut mine pretty hard to get them to latch. But I relate that to the improved weatherstripping they supposedly upgraded to for the 2021s. Overall, definitely get them.

Kovy23

Reaction score
100x over again I'd get them. Great fir during the work week where I keep most of my tools, and parties on the weekend since they act as coolers as well. Bed is still enough to get drywall or plywood.

Users who are viewing this thread