5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAMBOX utility rail problem - bad color

Rich

Reaction score
OK, my OCD is kicking in!

Does anyone have a 5.7 bed RAMBOX with the BUG and has utility rail that is not silver colored?

I have a blackout edition Bighorn with the Rambox and the BUG, which includes the utility rails, but they are silver, and not black! It sure sticks out like a sore thumb, especially on a blackout edition truck! It may look on a white truck or one that has chrome accents, but on the blackout it sure looks like crap.

I did see other trucks with the utility rails that were black, but perhaps those trucks did not have the Rambox? I'd have to go back to the dealers where I was shopping to confirm.

I pointed out the silver rails to my dealer when I picked up my truck and he said "this is how they come from the factory, so it must be correct"! :(

I mentioned this to a RAM representative at the New England Auto Show in Boston last week and he said something similar to "We had a supplier shortage so we're using up old inventory to be able to ship trucks without a hold up. Some of the replacement parts don't even fit perfectly, but are fully functional."

The silver rails certainly spoil the look of the Blackout edition trucks (as do the silver wheel lug nuts).

Is there any one that has seen a short bed truck with the Rambox and had utility rails that were black?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
OK, my OCD is kicking in!

Does anyone have a 5.7 bed RAMBOX with the BUG and has utility rail that is not silver colored?

I have a blackout edition Bighorn with the Rambox and the BUG, which includes the utility rails, but they are silver, and not black! It sure sticks out like a sore thumb, especially on a blackout edition truck! It may look on a white truck or one that has chrome accents, but on the blackout it sure looks like crap.

I did see other trucks with the utility rails that were black, but perhaps those trucks did not have the Rambox? I'd have to go back to the dealers where I was shopping to confirm.

I pointed out the silver rails to my dealer when I picked up my truck and he said "this is how they come from the factory, so it must be correct"! :(

I mentioned this to a RAM representative at the New England Auto Show in Boston last week and he said something similar to "We had a supplier shortage so we're using up old inventory to be able to ship trucks without a hold up. Some of the replacement parts don't even fit perfectly, but are fully functional."

The silver rails certainly spoil the look of the Blackout edition trucks (as do the silver wheel lug nuts).

Is there any one that has seen a short bed truck with the Rambox and had utility rails that were black?
Now I'll have to go check...I thought mine were black (with RamBox), but they're always hidden under the tri-fold tonneau...

Rich

Reaction score
Mine was an October build. I'd anyone would prefer silver rails, I'd be glad to swap.

The silver looks terrible on my blackout truck.

ericd

Reaction score
The black and silver have to do with the tonneau cover, not the ramboxes. They use the default silver ones unless you order the tonneau, then you get the black. The differences are where the cover will sit flush with the top of the bed.

IMG_6665.png IMG_6666.png

Rich

Reaction score
The trucks that I saw had black rails but no tonneau cover. I was shopping at various dealers that day, so I saw several trucks, but none had a factory tonneau cover.

I believe that the tonneau cover mounting rail slides into the top groove of the utility rail, so the color of the utility rail isn't a factor, it's just what they had on hand at the time. Or they chose a black rail at the time to better match the tonneau mounting rail.

I could go back to the dealers to review what I found, but by now those trucks could have been sold.

From what I was told by the reb at the auto, the color could be due to what they had in stock on the day of assembly. Perhaps they didn't think at all about the color?

As you can see from your first picture, the silver rails stick out like a sore thumb, especially on a blackout version of the truck!

Users who are viewing this thread